X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JoJo Rabbit

Just been to see it

8½/10

No spoilers, but, a few nice touches of "making the Nazis look like dicks", while emphasising what complete bastards they were

Usual bravura performances from Sam Rockwell, Scarlett Johansson, and Rebel Wilson

Two principals also very good

This got almost no discussion in the US. I don't know if audiences here can handle satire (the giant A SATIRE in the trailer indicates that they were worried about that), but even still, the trailer didn't make me want to see it at all, it just seemed so over the top and broad. Maybe the trailer didn't do it any justice, I know a lot of people like Watiti's stuff (which I haven't seen).

Comment

Incredibly broad.

And none the worse for it.

Comment

I've liked the look of the trailer and fancy giving it a go. At the risk of spoilers, is there any gore / bloody violence in it because Mrs Thistle hates that and won't watch war films.

Comment

Seems to be dividing the critics: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50850133

Comment

I loved "What we do in the shadows" and hadn't realised until now that Waititi directed Thor:Ragnarok which I'd not seen because well I just thought it was just another film in the tediously endless marvel cinematic universe. I might watch it now. And I'll certainly try to see Jojo Rabbit

Comment

My reaction to seeing the trailer was somewhere between WTAF and that looks absolutely terrible. I definitely will not be watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                I loved "What we do in the shadows" and hadn't realised until now that Waititi directed Thor:Ragnarok which I'd not seen because well I just thought it was just another film in the tediously endless marvel cinematic universe. I might watch it now. And I'll certainly try to see Jojo Rabbit
                Ragnorok is probably the best MCU film.

Comment

No gore as such, but violence and explosions associated with war feature

Comment

Bloke from work also in cinema taking in a NYD film yesterday.

Asked at work - he liked it too - and confirmed that the likes of Peter Bradshaw at the Guardian didn't

Oh well.

Never mind

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Ragnorok is probably the best MCU film.
                      It's definitely up there with the Guardians and Captain Marvel films.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                        No gore as such, but violence and explosions associated with war feature
                        Cheers

Comment

There's a very good interview in the Times today with the kid who plays the kid in this. Must be weird being filmed skipping about shouting "Heil Hitler" - I'm not sure I'd feel entirely comfortable if it was a son of mine, satire or not.

Comment

It doesn't quite work but everyone should see Boy and Wilderpeople

Comment

Saw it tonight and I am torn on it. Some of it works really well and some of it fails. It's certainly nowhere near as good as 'Wilderpeople' and WWDITS nor 'Ragnarok' which was far more successful at blending different styles.

Overall the shifts in tone from drama to farcical comedy aren't handled successfully enough for me. What Waititi appears to have added to the original book seems to jar with it to the extent it feels like two separate movies.

I thought the boy playing Yorki, Jojo's real best friend, stole the show in terms of performances.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-01-2020, 21:38.

Comment

We had a two-centre watch party (me and elder daughter in Tanzania; Mrs. VT and younger daughter in Wales). We loved it - the girls were genuinely touched by the story and said it spoke to them about the evil of the Nazis in a way that they understood well. I think that, for that generation, it works well - compared with, say, something like 'Schindler's List'. All actors were excellent, except maybe for Stephen Merchant who, let's be fair, cannot act and Rebel Wilson doing Rebel Wilson.

Comment

I'm now annoyed my review wasn't just ;

More like So-So Rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Saw it tonight and I am torn on it. Some of it works really well and some of it fails. It's certainly nowhere near as good as 'Wilderpeople' and WWDITS nor 'Ragnarok' which was far more successful at blending different styles.

Overall the shifts in tone from drama to farcical comedy aren't handled successfully enough for me. What Waititi appears to have added to the original book seems to jar with it to the extent it feels like two separate movies.

I thought the boy playing Yorki, Jojo's real best friend, stole the show in terms of performances.
                                    Not the superb hamfest from both Rebel Wilson and Dean Stockwell lookalike Sam Rockwell?

Comment

I normally like Rockwell and he was OK but the character was pretty one-note. Wilson played it like 'Allo 'Allo but she's never any good.

Comment

We saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I thought it did a good job of taking the piss out of the Nazis. Plenty of laughs and Mrs 1Foot had a cry at the end.

Comment

The end is really good

Comment

Yes the last ten minutes or so are good. The previous 100 are an infantile joke smeared as thinly as possible. Pity so much of the budget was spent on explosions rather than some decent script writers.

Did "Look who's back" (Er ist wieder da) make it to the UK?

Last edited by Aitch; 14-01-2020, 08:47.

Comment

The finale failed for me precisely because the rest of the film hadn't done enough to earn that ending. It was an example of the attempted change in tone from dark to light jarring because it wasn't handled elegantly enough.

Comment

Well I really liked it. It took a dark turn in the city square and then the final action with the boy soldiers was just heartbreaking really. I thought Sam Rockwell was great as Captain K, going along with the charade and undermining it at the same time. The abomination that was the Hitler youth was held up to the light. I thought the opening Beatlemania montage was clever. And Scarlett Johansson was everything her blockbuster roles are not - emotional and believable.

I've seen this and 1917 in the same week and I'm not really sure which was my favourite.

Comment

I thought it was fantastic and i'm surprised that critics have been so down on it, not that Peter Bradshaw is someone I have any time for anyway. It was funny, it was heartbreaking, I thought Sam Rockwell was brilliant and I too loved the montage of The Beatles and Triumph of the Will. Waititi was terrifying and the scene with Jojo following the butterfly left me in floods of tears.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X