Films of 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films of 2019

Every new film I saw this year in chronological order.

My film of the year was Joker, also very highly commended are John Wick 3, Diego Maradona, Booksmart, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and The Irishman.

The only real disappointments were Glass, Can You Ever Forgive Me and Us. Us was actually really annoying. The rest ranged from very good to so-so.

The Favourite
    Spider-Man : Into The Spider-Verse
    Vice
    Glass
    Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    Roma
    Green Book
    Lego Movie 2
    Captain Marvel
    Us
    Missing Link
    Avengers : Endgame
    John Wick 3 - Parabellum
    Rocketman
    Diego Maradona
    Yesterday
    Spider-Man : Far From Home
    Booksmart
    Toy Story 4
    Fast & Furious : Hobbs & Shaw
    Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    Blinded by the Light
    The Edge
    Shazam!
    Fantastic Beasts : The Crimes of Grindelwald
    Pokémon: Detective Pickachu
    Fighting With My Family
    Aquaman
    All Is True
    Bumblebee
    Joker
    Ad Astra
    Sometimes, Always, Never
    Official Secrets
    The Irishman
    Motherless Brooklyn
    Star Wars : The Rise of Skywalker
    Last Christmas

Are you the projectionist at the local Vue?

Comment

I'm always impressed that you keep a list. I also always forget which of the previous year's Oscar Best Pic films I saw in which calendar year.

So, here's an approximate collection, into categories, including new release Netflix films

fun films better than they had any right to be

Booksmart
      Long Shot
      Fighting with my family

self-indulgent boomer toss based on stuff that happened when boomers were younger

The Irishman
      Green Book
      My Name Is Dolemite

Enjoyable self-indulgent boomer stuff based on stuff that happened when boomers were younger

Ford vs Ferrari (Le Mans 66)
      Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Really, nobody writes new material any more and it's all "based on a true story"?

Can You Ever Forgive Me
      Vice
      The Favourite

Some kids films that were better than I expected

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
      The Kid Who Would Be King

Couldn't get past 20 minutes of it on a plane before having to change to something else

Rocketman

Tolerable time fillers, but no better

Hustlers
      Stuber
      John Wick 3
      Where'd you go Bernadette (the book was so much better)
      Always be my Maybe (saved by Keanu)

This is why people don't write new material

Ad Astra
      6 Underground

Comment

Roma was 2018, Ray, but I am assuming you watched it in 2019?

Mine in order of enjoyment

Joker*
        Diego Maradona
        The Irishman**
        El Camino**
        Sorry, we missed you*

Actually, 'Sorry...' is a very good film so quality rather than quantity here.

*'enjoyed' may not be quite the word.
        ** seen on Netflix.

Comment

Netflix is making such issues opaque but Roma went on their platform in mid December 2018 and I saw it in January so am claiming it as a new film for this year.

I went for quality and quantity, though watching even a so-so movie is better than most other ways one can spend one's time.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-12-2019, 19:41.

Comment

I saw a lot of films for the first time this year, but just counting cinema films, I saw:

How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World
            The Lego Movie 2
            Captain Marvel
            Shazam!
            Missing Link
            Avengers Endgame
            Toy Story 4
            Spider-Man Far From Home
            Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
            Frozen 2

I think Captain Marvel was the film I enjoyed most at the cinema, closely followed by Shazam! Frozen 2 was better than expected. Endgame was alright and a much better conclusion to a multiple film arc than Rise of Skywalker. Toy Story 4 and Lego Movie 2 were both disappointing.

Comment

I think the only films I’ve seen in the theater this year are Captain Marvel, Avengers End Game, Shazam, Ad Astra, the New Star Wars (twice) and Ford vs Ferarri. Maybe the most recent Fantastic Beasts. Was that this year? I liked all the ones I saw, more or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                Every new film I saw this year in chronological order.

My film of the year was Joker, also very highly commended are John Wick 3, Diego Maradona, Booksmart, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and The Irishman.

The only real disappointments were Glass, Can You Ever Forgive Me and Us. Us was actually really annoying. The rest ranged from very good to so-so.

The Favourite
                Spider-Man : Into The Spider-Verse
                Vice
                Glass
                Can You Ever Forgive Me?
                Roma
                Green Book
                Lego Movie 2
                Captain Marvel
                Us
                Missing Link
                Avengers : Endgame
                John Wick 3 - Parabellum
                Rocketman
                Diego Maradona
                Yesterday
                Spider-Man : Far From Home
                Booksmart
                Toy Story 4
                Fast & Furious : Hobbs & Shaw
                Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
                Blinded by the Light
                The Edge
                Shazam!
                Fantastic Beasts : The Crimes of Grindelwald
                Pokémon: Detective Pickachu
                Fighting With My Family
                Aquaman
                All Is True
                Bumblebee
                Joker
                Ad Astra
                Sometimes, Always, Never
                Official Secrets
                The Irishman
                Motherless Brooklyn
                Last Christmas
                Bloody hell! With all these and your sports events when do you get time to do, well, just about anything else?!

Comment

Joker for me.

Comment

I'm terrible at remembering what came out in a given year given my habit of waiting for DVD releases, but in rough order, of the ones listed so far, and conscious some may be from 2018:

The Favourite (thought that was 2018)
                    Booksmart
                    I Am Mother
                    Can You Ever Forgive Me (also 2018?)
                    Dolemite Is My Name
                    Knives Out
                    Toy Story 4
                    Us
                    John Wick 3

I've yet to watch any of the November/December Oscar bait, mind.

Comment

I just paid full-price to see Uncut Gems. I think if I’d watched it at home, I’d have turned it off, not because it is bad, but because it’s so *manic* and anxious, it was freaking me out. But I’m glad I stayed and stuck with it. Really remarkable performance by Adam Sandler and others, including Kevin Garnet.

Comment

I’ve discovered that my deranged second cousin has a role in that. I’m going to have to watch it despite finding Adam Sandler almost always cringingly unwatchable.

Comment

Deranged Second Cousin . . . . . . . Himself

Comment

Apparently not far off. He really belongs in the WTF thread. There’s a couple of hilarious media pieces about him from this film which I guess are paid for by himself.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                              I’ve discovered that my deranged second cousin has a role in that. I’m going to have to watch it despite finding Adam Sandler almost always cringingly unwatchable.
                              This is nothing like his comedy roles.

It has a lot of non-actor playing characters that make it all feel very real and very New York.

Comment

Films I've seen released this year (not necessarily all at the cinema):

The best:
                                Joker

Enjoyed:
                                Blinded by the Light
                                Captain Marvel
                                Avengers Endgame
                                Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker
                                Shazam
                                Tolkien
                                Spiderman Far From Home
                                Hobbs and Shaw
                                Rocketman
                                Terminator Dark Fate
                                The Irishman
                                Vice

Decent:
                                John Wick Chapter 3
                                Godzilla King of the Monsters
                                Dark Phoenix
                                The Secret Life of Pets 2
                                The Mule
                                Glass

Not Good:
                                Angel Has Fallen
                                Alita Battle Angel
                                Men In Black International

Fucking appalling:
                                Hellboy - gave up after ten minutes, and it takes a lot to make me switch off a film.

Comment

I watched most of Hellboy on HBO because I liked the comics (or at least, the ones I've read) and the previous films. It really was terrible, especially at the end. The performances were ok, but just disgustingly violent for no apparent reason whatsoever. I have no tolerance for that now.

Comment

I flew internationally 3 times this year so watched a lot of films on those flights. I don't think I went to the cinema more than three or four times and between my wife and I, neither or us can remember what we saw. The only one that I remember that I went to on my own was One Upon a Time. EDIT: The Farewell was one of the movies we went to see in the theater. It was good, not a top 10 movie, but good.

The best film I saw in 2019 was released in 2018: Shoplifters. It's a brilliant film.

Mon bebe (Sweetheart) was a little sappy at times but an excellent comedic drama.

I posted in the Springsteen thread (Music) the other day about Blinded by the Light. I liked it but it wasn't great. The use of Springsteen's music was the big hook for me.

Gotta disagree with the positive reviews of John Wick 3. I thought it was horrible. I'd say that each of these films gets worse, unfortunately.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was good.

I need to see Joker. I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet, but Spiderman was pretty good. The Avengers Endgame was bad. Was Antman and Wasp 2019? If so, that was ok. These Marvel films haven't been floating my boat but my daughter is a big fan so I end up watching with her. The Spiderman film was probably the most interesting of the films I saw from that studio.

Last night I watched 6 Underground on Netflix and that was pretty bad as well. Action films are pumped out like crazy but most just seem to focus on endless fights and things blowing up and there's no real plot. The Beson film, Ana was a little better but still pretty bad. The fight scenes were at least timed well (unlike Wick, where the fight scenes lasted forever).

Babylon was released in US theaters for the first time. That was good, but not a 2019 film.

I guess as I type through this list of part of what I saw that I am reminded that TV is probably better than many cinema productions at this point. Episodic TV is much better (Russian Dolls, Tokyo Diner, a hit and miss True Detective if that was 2019).
                                    Last edited by danielmak; 03-01-2020, 15:07.

Comment

Parasite, Joker and Rocketman were my highlights of the year.

Enjoyed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Star Wars—The Rise of Skywalker and The Irishman, despite some misgivings.

Really must see Toy Story 4, Us and The Lighthouse.

Comment

I found 'Blinded By The Light' pretty thin stuff, to be honest. It had a very televisual feel and didn't seem to really warrant a cinema treatment.

It prompted unfavourable comparisons with the excellent 'Sing Street' of a few years ago which covered the same era and similar ideas a lot better.

It also reminded me of how weak I found 'Bend It Like Beckham' by the same director.

I never actually realised the title song was originally by Springsteen until the film came out, but then I'm not a big fan of his.

Comment

My film going habits aren't very good. The majority of things I've seen are not very good franchise things to avoid getting spoilered on Twitter. The only new film from 2019 that stuck in my head was Booksmart.

The next best new to me film seen in a cinema is Dirty Dancing, which is fantastic and not at all about what I thought it would be.

I'm gong to see Long Day's Jiurney into Night tomorrow though to hopefully break the trend of seeing hollywood mundanity in 2020.

Comment

I went to the flicks once in 2019. To see Stan And Ollie. Loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              I went to the flicks once in 2019. To see Stan And Ollie. Loved it.
                                              I watched some of that and then didn't pick it up again and now I can't recall what service had it. It might be one I no longer get. It was ok, but felt kinda sad.

Comment

You'll have to watch it to the end.

Comment

I think I need some kind of support group for people who didn't really like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The guy in The New Yorker agrees with me, but that's about it. I don't agree with him on many of his other takes, except he liked Ad Astra. I seem to be alone among non-critics who liked that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X