Films that just make you end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films that just make you end

War Horse is on now. I’d forgotten the last twenty minutes of this. I’m going to be a wreck.

All Quiet on the Western Front.

Comment

Eldest Roginette said "it would have been funny after all that if the horse had trod on a land mine as he walked it home". I should never have weaned her on films like Aliens and Platoon, in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
        War Horse is on now. I’d forgotten the last twenty minutes of this. I’m going to be a wreck.
        I refuse to watch that because it sounds sad.

Comment

"make you end"?

Comment

Yeah. I mean, that's ambiguous, even as a charitable reading.

Comment

I have to check out Does the Dog Die.com before I watch most things. (Also good for horses, cats etc.)

Comment

Babe stupidly turned me into puddle each time I watched it.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                  I have to check out Does the Dog Die.com before I watch most things. (Also good for horses, cats etc.)
                  Good tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                    Yeah. I mean, that's ambiguous, even as a charitable reading.
                    I thought it was going to be more "make you want to end it all" and was going to start mentioning the Star Wars prequels.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post

You might want to give John Wick a swerve.

And one of the later episodes of Chernobyl.

Comment

I cried at the end of Monsters Inc.

Comment

I was one of those children who blubbed at that scene in E.T. where he's all pale, dying in that bed after the men in black have got him. It'd probably still set me off a bit now.

Comment

The first time I watched it, the final (David's Last Day) scene of 'A.I.' left me with tears streaming down my face. Subsequent viewings have only succeeded in slightly moistening the eyes, but it still packs an emotional punch for me.
                            Often criticised as a typical piece of heart-tugging Spielberg audience manipulation, the finish was apparently shot pretty much as Kubrick originally intended.

Comment

The end of The Iron Giant gets me every time.
                              Cracking little film, too.

Comment

A TV series rather than a film, but I think Roots was the first thing I ever saw that made me cry tears that came from empathy and anger rather than just childish tears as in Bambi, although I can still cry watching Bambi today.

Lion - the most beautiful performance by a child actor I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  Lion - the most beautiful performance by a child actor I've ever seen.
                                  Oh my word, what an emotional film that is.

Comment

Pixar are the masters of this. The end of WALL-E and the opening 15 minutes of Up! (and the scene when he rereads the book and the page he could never get to).

Comment

The first 10 minutes or so of "Up!" is possibly the best thing Pixar have done (and I say that as someone who loves the majority of their output) its such a shame that the rest of the film is generic kiddy animated adventure rubbish.

Has there ever been another film where the opening is just absolute head and shoulders above the rest of the movie?

Comment

The first five minutes of Elektra comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post

Has there ever been another film where the opening is just absolute head and shoulders above the rest of the movie?
                                          Surely Saving Private Ryan wins that award?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Possibly, was thinking there must be a good few Bond films where the opening sequence is the best bit of the film ("Die Another Day" springs to mind, the hovercraft sequence in the Korean DMZ is great, the rest of the film less so).

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

That would've been my first thought.

Others 2001: A Space Odyssey; New York, New York and Touch of Evil.

Comment

28 Days Later.

Great opening sequence. The remainder was horsesh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                                  Touch of Evil (single tracking shot, 3 mins 20 secs)
                                                  Betty Blue (...)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X