X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sexist Interviews from the 70s and 80s

This Michael Parkinson interview with Helen Mirren (1975) is staggering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmlP_cFOoAM

Parkinson's demeanour is everything I wanted to escape in my town of birth, but it's also an example of why I can't believe anyone would want to go back and live in the 70s, culturally, when an actress had to be interviewed by a boor like Parkinson if she wanted to reach a TV audience as 'herself', so to speak, rather than through playing a character speaking lines written by someone else.

And, clearly, there were thousands of actresses who had to deal with far worse back then, and still many who do so today (but hopefully fewer as a proportion of the whole).
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-10-2019, 00:41.

I never got the love for "Parky".

Comment

Holy fuck.

I was watching a bunch terry wogan interviews, and I saw that the next one in the list was an interview with winona ryder. I clenched all my sphincters, and jumped straight in.

There's a lot of interviewers now, that could learn from this (though wogan's questions have aged better than her answers.)
      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 28-10-2019, 13:08.

Comment

Well, she was 19. I'm very glad there is no extant video footage of me at 19.

Comment

I was watching that thinking that with the benefit of hindsight she was trying to convince herself more than anything. A facade of mature stability in one so young seems to generally be someone trying to use rationalization to quieten the screaming voice of anxiety. Certainly that's how I would have seemed at that age.

Comment

She had a lot of problems with depression and insomnia in the decade that followed. Doing ok now, apparently.

Comment

Getting involved with Johnny Depp doesn't seem to be the path to happiness either though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                I was watching that thinking that with the benefit of hindsight she was trying to convince herself more than anything. A facade of mature stability in one so young seems to generally be someone trying to use rationalization to quieten the screaming voice of anxiety. Certainly that's how I would have seemed at that age.
                I mostly saw a 19 year old in another country, with all of the accompanying disorientation, concentrating on what Wogan was saying, focusing on a new accent in a strange land, and found it all quite respectable.

Comment

Most young actors don’t come off well in early interviews, although clearly they’re more trained than they used to be.

Comment

Oh she comes across just fine. she handles the actual interview quite well. It's just with the benefit of hindsight the answers seem a bit unfortunate. Wogan does a great job of interviewing her as a person, rather than giving us an insight into his flirting game.

Comment

Working...
                    X