Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Motors 'The Bug and The Beetle' alarmist propaganda film.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Motors 'The Bug and The Beetle' alarmist propaganda film.

This is quite something. An internal GM film from the very early 70s raising the alarm about foreign imports and the loss of jobs, and imploring all GM employees to show up and do their jobs better. It's fascinating.

When I was making frequent visits to Detroit in the early 80s, autoworkers would regularly vandalise any import that managed to make into one of the factory lots and abuse drivers they encountered on the way there and back.

GM has had one of the most accomplished "corporate propaganda" operations for almost its entire history. Other examples include the invention of jaywalking and the destruction of interurban light rail networks after WWII.

Comment

My dad's firm used to make sure someone always had a big Ford, Chrysler or GM sedan they could all pile into for corporate visits. Dad said they rolled up at Ford in Oakville one time and the security guy said 'Yeah, I know. You're here to meet so-and-so." and when they asked how he remembered that he said "Cuz you're the assholes who show up in a Pontiac."

Comment

My assistant once spent a very frustrating morning calling around all the car services we used and trying to explain to them that no, we really did need a Lancia for this particular trip to Torino.

Comment

I wish I could remember all my dad's stories now. His favourite rant was about seat tracks. "You know how many seat tracks we make for GM? Thirty...maybe thirty five. You know how many we make for Toyota? Three. Small...medium and large. That's it!"

and

"We drove to Detroit for an emergency meeting today. You know how long it lasted? Five minutes. Guy was looking at the wrong page in the blueprints. Four guys....12 hours...700 miles of driving for a goddamn five minute meeting."

Comment

Working...
          X