Western Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Stars

Saw the new Springsteen concert film / documentary last night. Definitely one for the fans...I can't see many people taking a flyer on a 90-minute 'live' rendering of music they probably don't know from an artist they might be into in passing. But a lush, lovely piece nonetheless.

It's shot 80% in his barn rehearsal space in New Jersey, and it's a lovely space. Like a cathedral and honky tonk bar in one. And he's filled it with band musicians (not his usual crew) and a lovely string orchestra. The renditions of the album's songs are in almost every way superior to the studio recordings. Marvelous, stirring arrangements all.

The other 20% is gorgeous documentary style footage of him in the scrublands of California, driving an old El Camino and talking about his process and history and life and...you know. It's very nice and beautifully shot.

The album is an homage to California country of the 70s and is largely successful. He closes the gig with Rhinestone Cowboy, which nicely puts a period on what he was looking to achieve.

As a kicker, we bought our tickets in advance, online, and I was pretty sure I saw the word 'recliner'. And not too many other seats taken. We rolled up and, sure enough, it's one of those posh-o theaters with massive, wide aisles and power recliner seats. Killer sound...lovely sightlines...it was amazing. And...one other couple in the whole place. It was like a private screening in Spielberg's basement. At regular ticket prices, too.

The other couple tried to high-hat us by saying "You know...we've seen him 12 times."

Pfft...12?

I may wait to see this at home, but I would like to see it.

Comment

It's very lovely. The sound at this theatre was spectacular.

Actually, most of my raves around the house have been about this theatre. Landmark, which we've never been to before, is head and shoulders above the standard Cineplex. The concession ....uh...store...was not a regular popcorn counter, but a massive candy shop selling help-yourself bags of popcorn, bins of scoopable candy, tubes of Pringles, beer, wine, coffee, pop...almost anything you could possibly imagine. I can't image what their per-person concession revenues are like. It was stellar.

Comment

I think I'm going to see this tomorrow if the schedule works out well, so I'll report back.

Comment

Working...
        X