El Camino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

El Camino

Just seen on Netflix that this has been released, I think, today but it's too late in the day for me to watch it so it will have to be tomorrow. Anyone else seen it (bearing in mind I will not check this thread until I have seen it).

I’m watching it now. It’s kinda confusing because it goes back and forth in time. Excellent performances, though.

Comment

Watching it the morra. Youse cunts had better remember how to use spoiler tags ken.

Comment

Nothing to spoil. Nothing has really happened yet.

Comment

It’s hard to hear Aaron Paul/Jesse Pinkman talk without hearing Todd from Bojack Horseman.

Comment

Well that was pretty underwhelming. It was fine enough in the moment, but it just felt so cynical as a whole. It had no artistic reason to exist.

Comment

Yeah, all a bit unnecessary. The standoff bit was ridiculous.

Comment

A lot of the subplots were too drawn out, but I will totally watch the next sequel on Skinny Pete and Badger.

Comment

Yeah.
                  Jesse Plemons is really having a great run right now. He was "that guy" character actor, but he is fantastic on Breaking Bad as a bad guy who acts like a good guy. Then he was excellent on Fargo. Then he did another bad-guy-who-first-seems-good on Black Mirror. He's going to be in Scorsese's The Irishman. And he's engaged to Kirsten Dunst and they just had a baby, according to IMDB.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                    Well that was pretty underwhelming. It was fine enough in the moment, but it just felt so cynical as a whole. It had no artistic reason to exist.
                    Yeah, I'd go along with that. It was also weird that the actors had physically aged, but there was no attempt to make them look younger. It was quite disconcerting, as the action took place a day or so after the shootout at the Nazi ranch.

Comment

Agree w/ all "lukewarm" and "unnecessary" film sentiments. Film was way too rushed and lacked the patience of the series. Could have been titled, "Run Jesse Run."

However, have to say highlight was easily Robert Forster's performance as the Vacuum Guy/Fixer.

Glad to see they shot a scene at the Owl Cafe.

Comment

Yep, count us in with the 'well...that was....fine' camp. I mean, nice to watch and al,l but completely non-essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                          Yeah, I'd go along with that. It was also weird that the actors had physically aged, but there was no attempt to make them look younger. It was quite disconcerting, as the action took place a day or so after the shootout at the Nazi ranch.
                          Didn't really bother me, partly because it's been several years since I watched BB, so I don't have a particularly strong mental image of the characters' physiques, and also I've been watching Better Call Saul, a prequel starring an older Odenkirk, so it's not like this is something new for the, I guess, franchise.

Comment

It was fine.

Comment

Not for me. Jesse Plemons has got to be 20–30lbs heavier than he was in BB, and Aaron Paul has gotten kind of chubby in the face too (not likely as he'd been trapped in a cage until the day before). Skinny Pete looks like he's knocking on fifty, and Badger is a forty-year old insurance salesman. This is just shitty, lazy, continuity. It doesn't happen on Better Call Saul because Bob Odenkirk get's the proper make-up and costuming for the age he's playing, they don't cheap-out on that show. This movie looks like it was thrown together on a wet weekend when no one anything better to do.

Comment

Aaron Paul was a bit chubby in the face in series 5. That is obvious when they did the flashback to series 1 in the episode Ozymandias. He is supposed to be fresh faced Jesse and it's clearly rounder faced Jesse.

Of course, for 1 scene its not so glaring but for a whole movie it is a tad grating. That being said, I loved it for what it was. A slice of unnecessary dessert that didn't impact on the legacy of Breaking Bad. Walt is dead and Jesse got away is still how it ends.

Comment

Finally saw this and kind of agree with everyone else. It was OK, distracting enough and certainly didn't spoil the series if not exactly adding to it. Jesse Plemons' weight gain was the most pronounced continuity issue. My wife mentioned Aaron Paul's weight gain but it didn't seem more out of keeping than he was at the end of the series. There were holes in the plot, of course, but, seeing as we put up with Giancarlo Esposito walking out of a hospital room with half his face blown away by a bomb, we are probably already sold on such suspension of disbelief. I was quite impressed that it got us back into the mode of the series fairly seamlessly but that may have been because my wife and I watched it a year ago. The only thing was that, by the time Walter White turned up, I was sort of done with the cameos and didn't think that one one, oddly, was needed. I expected Jesse to end up delivering money or having some redemptive moment with Skylar and Walter White Jr. I agree that Robert Forster's performance was the stand-out performance and it was a fitting finale.

Comment

I just found out that Robert Foster died last autumn at the age of 78. He was one of the actors I always loved watching ever since I saw him in Jackie Brown. I have seen him in Twin Peaks,, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, the film Too Late, all of which I loved It is always sad when actors you almost think of as friends pass away, but at least he was almost 80 by the time he died.

Comment

If you haven't already seen it, check out Medium Cool if you want to see great work from his early days. A fantastic film.

Comment

Cheers, Cal. I'll certainly check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X