Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Going Live veterans Philip Hodgson ("agony uncle") and Trev & Simon. The latter wrote something called "Off Their Rockers" so perhaps are no longer acting/performing as such.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    In a similar vein, whither Mystic Meg?

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Psychics are cunts, making money by lying to people who are vulnerable from grief and who should really be spending it on a counselor.
    Precisely... she ain't coming back.

Leave a comment:

• tracteurgarcon
    replied
    Whatever happened to Doctor Ruth?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Psychics are cunts, making money by lying to people who are vulnerable from grief and who should really be spending it on a counselor.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    She passed away in 2016 so she definitely isn't coming back now... unless of course, it turns out her paranormal psychic powers weren't bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• KyleRoteJr.
    replied
    Miss Cleo.

You'd have to have been living in the States in the late '90s, early 2000s. This "Jamaican psychic" (later revealed she was born in L.A.) was ubiquitous on U.S. cable TV with an array of infomercials touting psychic services. I'd even go so far as saying she reached iconic status in the world of kitschy American culture. She was actually sort of reassuring as a familiar presence with her island patois and folksy talk (even if you knew it was all BS).

Alas, the company she was fronting was sued for fraud by several states, the Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Trade Commission -- and poof around 2003 the commercials were nowhere to be seen, from ubiquity to utter absence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Cleo

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    In his case, it’s fairly apparent why that happened.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    Michael Barrymore
    Isn't he doing that ice dancing show?

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Michael Barrymore

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Katie Hopkins, we can hope.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Gavin from Gavin and Stacey

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    Must be, he only has one "joke". I still wonder how his Germanophobia tallies with the job Klopp is doing.
    My guess is that Klopp is treated as an honorary Brit. It's not unusual for racists to have selective cognitive dissonance (see the tabloids and Raheem Sterling).

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    Jesus Christ, dude. Maybe find a different job. Piers Morgan is not a role model.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Must be, he only has one "joke". I still wonder how his Germanophobia tallies with the job Klopp is doing.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    I think so, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Stupid twat he may have been, but Boardman 'did' have a career prior to Atkinson's patronage.

(Mainly involving his relentless telling of that 'Fokker' joke on chat shows.)
    Is that the same joke as “Dey bombed arr chippy!”..?

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Regarding another Lenny Henry impersonatee, I was rather disappointed to see that Trevor MacDonald is spending his newsreader retirement doing stuff like "James Bulger: A Mother's Story" and "Fred & Rose West: The Real Story", which (judging from the titles) seems beneath him.

Yes, Sir Trev M. is seen on our screens quite a lot, usually doing programmes with a crime angle, for some reason. Maybe it's a fascination of his.

Actually, if anything I may have undersold his obsession:

He also did a deeply unoriginal travelogue around India by train, a luxury train of course, but as a good half of the programme seemed to be him admiring the train's decor and food I quickly binned it off.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    Does Joan Bakewell ever appear on TV these days?
    She hosts Portrait Artist of the Year on Sky Arts, alongside Stephen Mangan (previously with Frank Skinner).

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    She is now Baroness Blackwell (Labour peer) and serves in that role, as well as popping up on arts panels occasionally. Still famous enough to get on Have I Got News For You last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIabe6JLVCk

David Bellamy - impossible to say if his climate change denial affected his inability to get series commissioned by the BBC or if he has just outlived his shelf life as TV boffin, in favour of younger, less eccentric versions. "The BBC are turning down my ideas because of my views" seems like an excuse in his case, given his peak was around 1980 (when Lenny Henry was impersonating him).

Regarding another Lenny Henry impersonatee, I was rather disappointed to see that Trevor MacDonald is spending his newsreader retirement doing stuff like "James Bulger: A Mother's Story" and "Fred & Rose West: The Real Story", which (judging from the titles) seems beneath him.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-10-2019, 00:42.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Does Joan Bakewell ever appear on TV these days? She's 86 (good grief!) so probably not often, but in the 60s she was the BBC's "thinking man's crumpet" and a weekly treat (yeah... it was a different era.) Also the embodiment of West Hampstead intellectualism.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    His toilet was stolen.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

He has been on Radio 4 a bit recently. Used to and possibly still does live in Gustav Holst's house in Barnes.

Can't believe that he's been reduced to squatting.

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Originally posted by irony towers View Post

This evening I turned on the radio and caught Deayton's unmistakeable tones. (Two minutes later I switched channels - does anyone actively enjoy those Radio 4 sitcoms?)
    No. An inordinate amount of shit comedy gets onto Radio 4. Gloomsbury is the worst and they had a special on thw ewriter recently.

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
    He was in Nighty Night and presumably now sees himself as a comic actor.
    That was donkey's years ago not though. It was pre-Gavin and Stacey Ruth Jones.

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I was a huge fan of Burke and was genuinely surprised to find out recently that he is still with us.
    He has been on Radio 4 a bit recently. Used to and possibly still does live in Gustav Holst's house in Barnes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X