People who were all over TV but then disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I'm trying to imagine the sort of people who will be at this event and I can't get my brain around the fact that they are the same species as me.

Comment

You just don't understand misogynist Gulf expat culture

Comment

I once nearly whacked Dennis Taylor's son in the face with a shopping bag full of old Nintendo games. In my defence m'lud, it was a very windy day.

Comment

He lives in Wrexham, doesn't he.

Comment

You just don't understand misogynist Gulf expat culture
            I don't really understand capitalist culture, I suppose. Or gulf culture. Or golf culture. Or misogyny culture.
            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 11-10-2019, 15:58.

Comment

One of the many reasons we love you

Comment

Thanks.
                I really wasn't made for this century. I struggle with that sometimes, but lately I'm trying to see it as a positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                  Llay near Wrexham, according to Wiki.

Comment

Oh yes, that's right, Llay. That's where I usually stay when I'm visiting my mum's family.

Comment

Pronounced "hl-eye" in case anyone's wondering

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                        Thanks.
                        I really wasn't made for this century. I struggle with that sometimes, but lately I'm trying to see it as a positive.
                        You don't need to play by anyone's rules but your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                          Yup.

I was making my way down Regent Street (the main thoroughfare in the town centre) and Taylor senior and junior were walking in the opposite direction. As our game of chicken commenced, a gust caught my bag of games and missed junior's fizzog by about half an inch.

Comment

David Bellamy famously killed off his own career by questioning global warming.

Comment

You never see on the telly any more....

Fern Britton
                              Judi Spiers

And I'd like to see Simon Amstell on more shows.

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                                You never see on the telly any more....
                                Judi Spiers
                                That takes me back to the 1970s when she was on ITV out of Plymouth (I believe) and ran a regular birthday TV shout-out for local schoolchildren, featuring one bouncing but mute Gus Honeybun rabbit character. I remember one time she'd clearly had several G&Ts too many and appeared completely bladdered - it was hilarious. I wonder if it's on YouTube...

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                  David Bellamy famously killed off his own career by questioning global warming.
                                  Johnny Ball too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Johnny Ball too.
                                    More to do with being 81 and enjoying his retirement?

Comment

I was a huge fan of Burke and was genuinely surprised to find out recently that he is still with us.
                                      He has been on Radio 4 a bit recently. Used to and possibly still does live in Gustav Holst's house in Barnes.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

This evening I turned on the radio and caught Deayton's unmistakeable tones. (Two minutes later I switched channels - does anyone actively enjoy those Radio 4 sitcoms?)
                                        No. An inordinate amount of shit comedy gets onto Radio 4. Gloomsbury is the worst and they had a special on thw ewriter recently.

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                                        He was in Nighty Night and presumably now sees himself as a comic actor.
                                        That was donkey's years ago not though. It was pre-Gavin and Stacey Ruth Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

He has been on Radio 4 a bit recently. Used to and possibly still does live in Gustav Holst's house in Barnes.

Can't believe that he's been reduced to squatting.

Comment

His toilet was stolen.

Comment

Does Joan Bakewell ever appear on TV these days? She's 86 (good grief!) so probably not often, but in the 60s she was the BBC's "thinking man's crumpet" and a weekly treat (yeah... it was a different era.) Also the embodiment of West Hampstead intellectualism.

Comment

She is now Baroness Blackwell (Labour peer) and serves in that role, as well as popping up on arts panels occasionally. Still famous enough to get on Have I Got News For You last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIabe6JLVCk

David Bellamy - impossible to say if his climate change denial affected his inability to get series commissioned by the BBC or if he has just outlived his shelf life as TV boffin, in favour of younger, less eccentric versions. "The BBC are turning down my ideas because of my views" seems like an excuse in his case, given his peak was around 1980 (when Lenny Henry was impersonating him).

Regarding another Lenny Henry impersonatee, I was rather disappointed to see that Trevor MacDonald is spending his newsreader retirement doing stuff like "James Bulger: A Mother's Story" and "Fred & Rose West: The Real Story", which (judging from the titles) seems beneath him.
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-10-2019, 00:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                  Does Joan Bakewell ever appear on TV these days?
                                                  She hosts Portrait Artist of the Year on Sky Arts, alongside Stephen Mangan (previously with Frank Skinner).

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                    Regarding another Lenny Henry impersonatee, I was rather disappointed to see that Trevor MacDonald is spending his newsreader retirement doing stuff like "James Bulger: A Mother's Story" and "Fred & Rose West: The Real Story", which (judging from the titles) seems beneath him.

Yes, Sir Trev M. is seen on our screens quite a lot, usually doing programmes with a crime angle, for some reason. Maybe it's a fascination of his.

Actually, if anything I may have undersold his obsession:

He also did a deeply unoriginal travelogue around India by train, a luxury train of course, but as a good half of the programme seemed to be him admiring the train's decor and food I quickly binned it off.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X