People who were all over TV but then disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who were all over TV but then disappeared

What with Dominik Diamond being mentioned on a thread and then me bringing up Roland Rivron, it set me thinking about people who were all over TV, especially in the late 80s and 90s, who have now pretty much disappeared from public life.

What happened to Dom Joly, Ulrika Johnson, Gail Porter and all those other mainstays of things like The Last Resort, TFI Fridays and Shooting Stars?

In fact, apart from occasional radio shows, what is Jonathan Ross doing these days?

Ah, Simon Dee...

Comment

Most of the 90s people seem to pop up as DJs on Radio 2, Absolute Radio or Heart FM.

Comment

Jonathan Ross still does a Saturday night chat show doesn't he?

Gail Porter disappeared when she developed alopecia and only rarely does media stuff now.

For some reason I was wondering along similar lines about whatever happened to Isla St Clair, she was a big name in the early 80s and (in England at least) seemed to disappear quite young.

Comment

James Burke is the one I always think of. One of TV's biggest faces (both literally and metaphorically) in the '70s but then he just sort of retired from the box.

Comment

Katie bloody Price (mercifully)

Comment

Tony Slattery.

More recently, Miranda Hart.

Comment

Election night is the time to catch up with these fading faces. Every reserve is called up for duty.

"And I'm here at the count in Biggleswade East, not doing the travel doco any more, no I'm not dead, just sent to fucking Biggleswade."

Comment

Noel Edmunds disappeared for about 10 years at the height of his career, between "House Party" and "Deal or no deal " , apart from a brief unsuccessful stint on "Top Gear " Chris Evans has mainly retreated to radio, haven't heard anything much of Anne Robinson either, although she was a one trick pony, based around the bizarre success of "The Weakest Link ".

Comment

Around the same time as Tony Slattery I'd add Daniel Peacock.
                    Last edited by nmrfox; 09-10-2019, 13:10. Reason: Didn't realise the reason for TS to drop off the screens so suddenly

Comment

There's a thread on Tony Slattery:

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...-tony-slattery

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                        Good call on Tony Slattery.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...slightly-barmy

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                          Ah - wasn't aware of that,

Comment

I was a huge fan of Burke and was genuinely surprised to find out recently that he is still with us.

He appears to have struggled somewhat with the decline of television as the dominant medium and had a series of less than successful digital ventures.

Comment

Clive Anderson seems to have disappeared - he doesn't even pop up on any of the panel shows anymore.

Comment

Anouska Hempel.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                  Clive Anderson seems to have disappeared - he doesn't even pop up on any of the panel shows anymore.
                                  Sadly he's still infesting the radio.

Comment

The ubiquitousness of Miranda Hart, John Bishop and Sarah Millican has been replaced by Katherine Ryan, Sara Pascoe and Katherine Ryan.

Comment

Catherine Tate.

Comment

Romesh Ranganathan (in two years time...)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Catherine Tate.

For half a second I thought you'd typed "Sharon Tate" and momentarily considered you a very naughty boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            Ah, Simon Dee...
                                            Driving a bus, last I heard...

Comment

Sister Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                He's still all over Radio 4, presents "Loose Ends" and "Law in Action" (or whatever the law thing is called).

Comment

As I said, he still infests the radio...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X