People who were all over TV but then disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    [Simon Dee] Driving a bus, last I heard...
    I'm surprised, he must be getting on a bit by now...

Comment

Having worked with him for a few years, I'll pitch Mark Lamarr. He does far less radio these days, having pretty much shunned TV for more than a dozen years now.

Johnny Vaughan as well: barely seen on our screens for the past decade. Can't say I've missed him much.

As for some of the others, Jonathan Ross is very much still on our screens: not really my cuppa, but I caught a bit of his show in repeat just last night on ITV. (Whether he still earns the ridiculous £18m per annum - or whatever it was the BBC were paying him - I have no idea.)

Catherine Tate still performs theatre (including a live version of her TV show) and has a movie featuring her 'Nan' character mooted for next year. Make of that what you will.

Driving a bus, last I heard...
      Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
      I'm surprised, he must be getting on a bit by now...
      Well, 'dead' actually. More than a decade ago.

Comment

There's a whole genre of TV clip/talking head shows that seems to employ people who fit this description - "I remember 199x" and suchlike, where it is obvious that the interviewees have only just seen the clip they're supposedly reminiscing about for the first ever time 2 minutes prior to being asked about it.

Comment

Angus Deayton.

Comment

Russ Abbott

Comment

Sister Wendy
              Died last Christmas.

Comment

Justin Lee Collins. He seemed to be fading out of view even before his court convictions.
                Last edited by Arturo; 09-10-2019, 17:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  Angus Deayton.
                  He was the original "Would I lie to you" host which suggested that his career was back on track after the HIGNFY sacking (which, let's not forget, was to blame for our current PM) but yes, he hasn't done anything since.

Comment

I used to live in Honor Oak, just up the road from the Ravioli* Ballroom, where they used to film his excerable C4 (I think?) show.

Which meant he was often in my local, being exactly the kind of unbearable, "look at me!" prick you'd probably imagine.

*Rivoli

EDIT: to Arturo

Comment

Julia Davis

Lee Hurst - I'm aware of his Twitter horror feed, unfortunately

In fact also from They Think It's All Over :
                      Nick Hancock
                      Rory McGrath

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post

Died last Christmas.
                        Really? I'm genuinely sad about that, I really liked her.

Comment

By the early 80s Kenny Lynch's career seemed to consist of being on programmes and, er. that's it. I vividly remember a page of the Not 1983 calendar (as in Not the Nine O'clock News) that read "Thought for the Day: what does Kenny Lynch do exactly?" Apparently his chief occupation thereafter was playing in charity football matches.

A well-known online reference source states that Lynch formed a songwriting partnership with Buster Mottram, which is either a delicious piece of Iannucci-couldn't-make-it-uppery or some nifty Wiki-sabotage.

Comment

Craig Kilborne. ESPN/Sportscenter guy then did The Daily Show before Jon Stewart (it was funny, but not so political) and then had the second CBS Late Night show after Letterman. He tried to do a show on Fox at 7 pm - give him credit for trying a new idea/format - but it didn't work and it didn't last. He had a small role in Old School and is now just not on TV except for a Kraft Mac & Cheese ad.

It must be nice to retire, essentially, in ones early 50s. But apparently he quit the things he quit because he got bored of them.
                            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 09-10-2019, 18:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                              Julia Davis
                              She won a BAFTA earlier this year for her recent Sally4Ever series. (Most of Julia’s shows go out on Sky Atlantic, which is why she occasionally slips under the radar.)

Worked with her just last week, as it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                                By the early 80s Kenny Lynch's career seemed to consist of being on programmes and, er. that's it. I vividly remember a page of the Not 1983 calendar (as in Not the Nine O'clock News) that read "Thought for the Day: what does Kenny Lynch do exactly?" Apparently his chief occupation thereafter was playing in charity football matches.

A well-known online reference source states that Lynch formed a songwriting partnership with Buster Mottram, which is either a delicious piece of Iannucci-couldn't-make-it-uppery or some nifty Wiki-sabotage.
                                His name forms the middle eight of a great song called, "You won't get a tip from a golfing comedian" by Bath comedy punk duo, Hacksaw.

Comment

James Burke

I thang yew.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WoDQBhJCVQ

Comment

(oh. And he's wrong. The bit you can see on its side had a kerosene and oxygen mix.

Stages two and three used hydrogen)

Comment

Harry Enfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        She won a BAFTA earlier this year for her recent Sally4Ever series. (Most of Julia’s shows go out on Sky Atlantic, which is why she occasionally slips under the radar.)

Worked with her just last week, as it goes.
                                        Well, there you go. Thanks for that - need to give my radar a bash.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                                          In fact also from They Think It's All Over :
                                          Nick Hancock
                                          Rory McGrath
                                          Other than one BBC2 daytime quiz show I can't be arsed to research the title of, Hancock effectively retired from TV work to spend more time with his family. Fair enough, I suppose.

McGrath I believe is persona non grata due to being more than a bit of a stalkery sex pest.

Comment

Cat Deeley, although I think she's been in America for a while. Certainly don't recall her on British TV for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

Was reading about a truly bizarre-sounding project the other day. There is a Rick Wakeman album from the early 80s which is an adaptation of George Orwell’s 1984. With lyrics by Tim Rice. And a duet on a song called “Robot Man” by... Kenny Lynch and Chaka Khan. I haven’t listened to it, because it will be awful, but it gladdens my heart that such a thing exists.

Comment

Kenny Lynch was always "Tarby's golfing buddy" to me.

Speaking of which, Tarbuck disappeared pretty much overnight as well - rising only for the funeral of famous Liverpudlians. His fall was as swift as that of Cannon and Ball and Little and Large. Possibly could have become a game show host but Monkhouse took that slot (superbly, I might add).

Comment

Well, Kenny Lynch has acting, songwriting and recording credits, which is more than a lot of people.

Admittedly by the 80s, his main living was appearing on game shows, but he wasn't the only offender.

Comment

Oh aye, he seemed a decent enough chap and he clearly had done something to be successful, but seeing as I was 10 at the time he was in his Tarby golf phase that presumably was before then.

Lorraine Chase pretty quickly became game show fodder didn't she?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X