No announcement yet.

Spin offs of spin offs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a pilot of 'Carlton Your Doorman' in 1980. He was a character from 'Rhoda' who had not been in the Mary Tyler Moore show that it had spun off.

Comment

Was there not some terrible 'Bionic Dog' spin-off from The Bionic Woman, itself a spin-off from The Six Million Dollar Man? (Seems to me that 1970s US television execs were unnaturally obsessed with creating spin-off series - regardless of the quality.)

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      If mumpo were around I'm sure we'd know by now if Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures were both direct spinoffs from Doctor Who, or if one led to the other in some way.
      Barely having watched either, I'd nonetheless suspect that Torchwood led on from Doctor Who in some way given that the title is an anagram.

Comment

Torchwood was a direct spinoff, in order to give the Captain Jack character his own show.

Comment

'Bionic Dog' was a character within the 'Bionic Woman' series rather than a series in his own right.

Comment

Does "Ewoks" the animated show count as a spin off of "An Ewok Adventure: Caravan of Courage" and "Ewoks: The Battle For Endor" which were, of course, both Star Wars spin offs?
            Last edited by tracteurgarcon; 09-10-2019, 10:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              'Bionic Dog' was a character within the 'Bionic Woman' series rather than a series in his own right.
              Yep, seemingly so - although a series had been proposed. From Wiki:

"The original intent was to create a spin-off series featuring The Bionic Dog and at the end of the two-part episode that introduced him, it was implied Max (the dog) would stay with Jaime's forest ranger friend Roger Grette in the Sierra Mountains and Jaime would visit occasionally. However, the network rejected the proposed spin-off series and Max stayed with Jaime instead, making several appearances throughout the third season of The Bionic Woman."

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                Do "Ewoks" the animated show count as a spin off of "An Ewok Adventure" and "Caravan of Courage" which were, of course, both Star Wars spin offs?
                I don't think there are characters in the Ewoks cartoon that were introduced in those movies, though. My Ewok knowledge isn't that great.

Comment

The oft-overlooked Legion of Super-Pets. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:
                  • Comet the Super-Horse
                  • Streaky the Super-Cat
                  • Krypto the Super-Dog
                  • Beppo the Super-Monkey

Comment

Actually the above post doesn't really fit the criteria of the OP. Still, they always bring a smile to my face.

Comment

Were they fighting Bad Horse? You know, the Thoroughbred of Sin who rules the Evil League of Evil with an iron hoof and a terrible death whinny?
                      Last edited by Snake Plissken; 09-10-2019, 11:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        Actually the above post doesn't really fit the criteria of the OP. Still, they always bring a smile to my face.
                        Well, there was a Krypto cartoon show 15-ish years ago. I know Streaky made some appearances in it too.

Comment

Streaky would be fully justified in going on a Mr Pink style rant about being given the shittest name.

Comment

Maybe he just really likes bacon.

Comment

Going back to spin-offs, the second Hairspray movie was a spin-off of the stage musical, which was in turn a spin-off from... the first Hairspray movie. Not sure if that qualifies as a spin-off of a spin-off, or a snake eating its own tail.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                Going back to spin-offs, the second Hairspray movie was a spin-off of the stage musical, which was in turn a spin-off from... the first Hairspray movie. Not sure if that qualifies as a spin-off of a spin-off, or a snake eating its own tail.
                                Definitely an Ouroboros situation that one. Ditto The Producers.

Comment

Stage musicals that were film musicals first are rare. Newsies is one, I think. Also based on a true story.

It’s usually the other way around.

Comment

Camberwick Green --> Trumpton --> Chigley.

Comment

Nah, they're just three series set in the same make-believe world.

If we're talking Doctor Who spin-offs, don't forget 'Class'! (even though most people who watched it now choose to)

Comment

Man About the House is on ITV3 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
                                          Oh, OK then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
                                            Although you could argue that they are all spin-offs of A Rubovian Tale.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              Stage musicals that were film musicals first are rare. Newsies is one, I think. Also based on a true story.
                                              Little Shop of Horrors was another. Probably not based on a true story.

Comment

A few other examples of film musicals turned into stage musicals - The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Seven Wives For Seven Brothers, Mary Poppins, The Wizard Of Oz. Does School of Rock count?
                                                Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 12-10-2019, 00:02.

Comment

Disney have an awful lot to answer for

Comment

Speaking of musicals, I guess Spamalot counts as a spin-off of a movie that was a spin-off of a tv show.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X