Different film endings by decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different film endings by decade

I watched Fatal Attraction again last night. I’ve always hated the ending, especially the ending…

* SPOILER ALERT *

… with the “she’s dead in the bath oh no fuck she miraculously isn’t” shenanigans. That ending was not that of the original version, but as reshoot to satisfy the mindless audiences who needed an execution for the bunny-boiling to experience catharsis.

The original ending had Glen Close’s character commit suicide, framing Mike Douglas for the murder. But he gets off when his wife produces the cassette tape in which Close revealed her plan to commit suicide.

I think the reshot and official ending was very 1980s. In fact, I think the ending might have been different in different decades.

1930s: Bette Davis has to pay for terrorising poor Frederick March. It’s the clink for you, Bette.

1940s: Barbara Stanwyk has to pay for terrorising that cad George Raft — but so does Raft. As Raft struggles to take control of the car Stanwyk is driving in a manic manner, they both go over a cliff’s edge and die. In the final scene, Raft's wife, Jane Wyman, receives the insurance payout -- and smiles. Noir, innit?

1950s: Lauren Bacall should pay for what she did to poor William Holden. But when Holden’s wife Susan Hayward shoots her husband for his cheating ways, Bacall has a moment of Redemption. She weeps at his grave (possibly kills herself or is killed by Hayward, if the Production Code is still enslaving the director or political metaphor demands it). We're freewheeling with old moralities now.

1960s: Should Elizabeth Taylor pay for what she did to poor Paul Newman? Reluctantly, she’ll have to. Suicide. Newman weeps at her grave. Will he return to wife Anne Bancroft? It's open-ended.

1970s: Should Faye Dunaway pay for what she did to that heartless Elliott Gould? Well, die she must. Like the original 1980s ending, she kills herself and frames Gould for her murder. But Gould’s wife finds no exonerating cassette tape. Off to jail, Gould.

1980s: KILL THE BITCH! KILL THE BITCH. USA! USA!

1990s: Should Sharon Stone have to pay for what she did to slimy Kevin Spacey? Who cares, there’s an asteroid coming to destroy the world.

2000s: Should the voice of Beyoncé pay for what she did to the voice of George Clooney? Who cares? It’s an animated movie. Is there a chase with loud special sound effects? The voice of Beyoncé loves the voice of George Clooney, and the voice of George Clooney loves the voice of Beyoncé, and the voice of Emma Stone says the voice of Beyoncé can have the voice of George because the voice of Edward Norton loves her. Sex In The City for Pixar. Yay.

2010s: Should Ryan Gosling have to pay for what he did to poor Halle Berry? Well, he killed her, and there'’ll be a trial, and Mark Ruffalo will be the lawyer with a past of his own… Who cares how it ends?

Your film endings?
    Last edited by G-Man; 16-09-2019, 15:59.

Very good, G-Man.

Comment

Never saw Fatal Attraction

Comment

80s perm hair pish.

Comment

The M. Night Shyamalan ending: turns out she was the rabbit all along! Dum-dum-dum!

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            80s perm hair pish.
            Oh, I think you might rewatch it and go past the perms. Fatal Attraction is as much a successful homage to Hitchcock as you'll ever get. Including the inherent misogyny...

Comment

Blade Runner did this for us.

Although I am waiting for the ending where it's all the dying fantasy of Deckard as his body fails him.

Comment

Wow! I just screened the original 1982 version (voiceover/happy ending, slightly gimmicky choice as tribute to Rutger Hauer) and a clever Romanian student gave a convincing reading of the ending pretty much along those lines!

Comment

Dynamite, G. Absolute Dynamite.

For me, one of the greatest missed opportunities was the end of Devil Wears Prada.

I mean, if there was ever an open goal for the boyfriend to stand there slack-jawed in a gender role-reversal for the Godfather ending, that was it. When Meryl Streep says in her note that she has never been more disappointed, she was talking about the ending.

I close my eyes, and it's always the first thought that will always pop in. It's the worst missed opportunity in film history.

Comment

The Devil Wears Prada is one of the most inexplicably overrated films ever. So many people love that. It's not good. I saw it twice just to make sure.

Comment

Fatal Attraction owes rather a lot to Play Misty for Me. From memory, Clint Eastwood kills his stalker at the end of the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        Fatal Attraction owes rather a lot to Play Misty for Me. From memory, Clint Eastwood kills his stalker at the end of the film.

Fans of Arrested Development may recognise the stalker.

Comment

She was also a guest star on "the big bang theory "

Comment

Working...
                          X