007 to be a woman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

007 to be a woman?

They'll be remaking Ocean's 11 with a female cast next...

(Though personally I think that would be ace!)

Comment

Reportedly, 007 is a woman as the film starts because Bond has retired and she, played by Laschana Lynch, took his old number. James Bond is still Daniel Craig. He gets pulled back in for one more big mission, etc.

Seems to me that that if anyone at MI6 deserves to have his number retired, it would be James Bond. But I guess it doesn’t work that way.

Comment

Rewriting and re-imagining male roles and male-led films for female actors is lazy and ends up being a condescending nod by the male dominated film industry toward efforts to make it a more equal workplace. The films themselves end up being a second rate product that gets compared unfavourably to the original ones. Making Bond a female character would be a shit idea.
        If Hollywood really wanted to purge itself of the misogyny that has been rife there for so long they should be promoting more female written and directed films with strong original female leading characters instead of half-arsed bollocks ideas like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Seems to me that that if anyone at MI6 deserves to have his number retired, it would be James Bond. But I guess it doesn’t work that way.
          Do they wear shirts with their numbers on? I'd have thought that would be a bit conspicuous. especially during undercover work.

Comment

Nobody is going to make James Bond a woman. That wouldn’t make sense. His attitude toward women is integral to the character. Bond doesn’t have to be white, however. But women can be other 00 agents.

Hollywood has been working a while on an adaption of Queen & Country, a great series of graphic novels and novels by Greg Rucka about a British operative named Tara Chace. She’s a lot like Daniel Craig’s Bond in that she’s driven by an addiction to challenging herself, but she faces all the shit women face in male-dominated fields. There’s also a whole thing about her difficult relationship with her mom.

Ridley Scott has been working on it. I hope it happens and is good. Unfortunately, the adaption of Rucka’s Whiteout which also had an interesting female lead, didn’t work. It might have worked if Reese Witherspoon has been in it as originally planned, but it ended up with Kate Beckinsale. She’s beautiful, but wasn’t right for the role.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Do they wear shirts with their numbers on? I'd have thought that would be a bit conspicuous. especially during undercover work.
              Good point

Comment

Working...
              X