There was a wheezing, groaning sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a wheezing, groaning sound...

Terrance Dicks, former script editor and script writer for Doctor Who, and the author of the lion's share of Target novelisations of the show, has died aged 84. I had SO MANY of those books, I used to shoplift them from WH Smiths. Dicks' main association with the programme was as the script editor throughout the Jon Pertwee era (Pertwee's first season was the show's creative zenith, moody and magnificent), but he contributed scripts before and after. A television titan.

I didn't recognise the name when I saw it flash up all over Twitter. Then I thought back to being ten or 11 years old, and reading nothing but Doctor Who books, a world which became so real and solid it helped define what writing could and should be for me, and realised I must have read a dozen or more of his books. In a way it's the mark of how intimate I was with his universe that I never thought to check who wrote them. They just were. RIP.

Comment

Good posts both, this guy made quite a contribution to our childhoods. I wonder how much input he had to The Green Death, my favourite Who story, which terrified me to nightmares in that peak Pertwee era.

Comment

I recognised the name. Read a lot of his paperbacks when I was a kid. Sad news.

Comment

Working...
        X