Unusual cameos by footballers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
    Berti Vogts played a gardener in Tatort about 20 years ago. If I remember rightly, he found a rabbit and returned it to its owner.

Comment

(At the risk of labouring a point, I’d have been fascinated to hear the conversation that resulted in that outcome.)

Comment

There's more of a tradition of "celeb" cameos in the likes of Tatort in Germany.

We used to get them over here with some frequency back in the 70s and 80s, like Johnny Cash turning up as a killer on Columbo..

Comment

True, but Cash - to use that example - had some on-screen presence and was a performer by trade.

I’m just struggling to imagine a conversation along the lines of:
          ”We need a gardener for the shoot - anyone decent available in Spotlight?”
          ”No, however I gather Berti Vogts is free all next week...”

Comment

I was trying to think of someone you would know.

How about Reggie Jackson on The Jeffersons?

https://www.complex.com/sports/walk-...ows/bo-jackson]Here's a partial list of athlete cameos on US television shows.[/url]

You have the process backwards. They aren't trying to find a gardener, they are trying to find a one-line role for the likes of Berti Vogts.

Comment

Is that how OJ started in acting?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the adverts came first. The Hertz ads were a cultural phenomenon.

Though it was rather common for USC stars to get these gigs, given the school's location and connections to the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  I was trying to think of someone you would know.

How about Reggie Jackson on The Jeffersons?

https://www.complex.com/sports/walk-...ows/bo-jackson]Here's a partial list of athlete cameos on US television shows.[/url]

You have the process backwards. They aren't trying to find a gardener, they are trying to find a one-line role for the likes of Berti Vogts.
                  Yes, I was being facetious​​​​​. I still find the whole conceit baffling, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Interesting. I don't remember that scene at all. I wonder if it was cut over here? Or it'll be a part of what Netfix will call season four.
                    I can confirm that they are back in the Netflix version now, as we got to both episodes in question over the weekend. However, given that the scenes clearly existed to shoehorn Neymar in, you can rest assured that you missed nothing of any value or import to the storyline

Comment

I recall Sol Campbell having a cameo in Footballer's Wives - i'm not sure if any other professionals actually appeared in it.

Comment

I think John Terry appeared quite regularly in footballers' wives.

(No doubt you'll see, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                          I recall Sol Campbell having a cameo in Footballer's Wives - i'm not sure if any other professionals actually appeared in it.
                          I wonder what it was about Footballers' Wives - strange, unsettling and oddly naive about the machinations of the sport - that appealed to Campbell.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            He looks good in eyeliner.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

I wonder what it was about Footballers' Wives - strange, unsettling and oddly naive about the machinations of the sport - that appealed to Campbell.
                              Wasn't Sol Campbell a bouncer in "Lock stock and two smoking barrels " ?

Comment

Appears that was Snatch

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Wasn't Sol Campbell a bouncer in "Lock stock and two smoking barrels " ?
                                  Different sport but Steve Collins was a bouncer in Lock, Stock...

Comment

Didn't George Best appear in Percy?

Comment

George Best appears in this which is well worth a watch.

Comment

Saw that on channel four one night. Agreed, it's well worth a watch.

Comment

Tommy Docherty

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0237269...=nm_flmg_act_1

Comment

I clicked on that and it has Jim Baxter as himself- a far better player than Docherty and sounds like it fits the thread title (Docherty is Ally McIntyre)

Comment

But the OP seemed to be requesting roles where the player was not playing himself or herself.

Comment

Sorry, my mistake- my reading of what a ‘cameo’ is I s’pose

Comment

I think that it can be either, can it not?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X