Unusual cameos by footballers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual cameos by footballers

Neymar makes a brief appearance in the new series of Casa de Papel/Money Heist, but, unusually for a footballer, plays an actual character rather than appearing as himself. Dramatic roles tend to occur mostly in films (Beckham in the King Arthur film, Vinnie Jones initially), but there must have been British series in the past where either current or former players stepped out of their comfort zones?

I can only think of footballers playing themselves (but badly):

Graeme Souness and Sammy Lee in Boys To The Blackstuff

Kenny Dalglish in Scully

To play someone else would require acting skills, I would think, which these do not possess.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-08-2019, 20:16.

Comment

Emmanuel Petit once appeared in The Bill

Comment

Zizou in one of the terrible Asterix films.

Comment

Comment

Brian Close, who was better known as a cricketer but played a few Football League games, appeared in an episode of Heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
              Neymar makes a brief appearance in the new series of Casa de Papel/Money Heist, but, unusually for a footballer, plays an actual character rather than appearing as himself.
              I must have missed him. Who did he play?

Comment

I remember seeing a DVD in Tower records, some cheap looking WW2 stuff with David Ginola prominently featured on the cover.

Comment

Michael Robinson was one of the voices in the Spanish version of Shrek 2

Comment

Eric Cantona.

Comment

As previously mentioned on these pages, Bob McNab in On the Buses.

He was nay great. But it was On the Buses.

Comment

Frank LeBoeuf was in The Theory of Everything and Stan Collymore had a reasonably big part (fnarr, fnarr) in "Basic Instinct 2".

Comment

Ally McCoist starred alongside Robert Duvall in a film that also featured Michael Keaton, Owen Coyle and Didier Agathe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Shot_at_Glory

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I must have missed him. Who did he play?
                            He was a monk called Joao - basically silent in episode 6, but in the final one they give him a few unfluffable lines where he sends himself up:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=97zRVPqutWU
                            Last edited by Diable Rouge; 01-09-2019, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                              Zizou in one of the terrible Asterix films.
                              Wait.

There was a good Asterix film?

Comment

Michael Owen at Newcastle United.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

He was a monk called Joao - basically silent in episode 6, but in the final one they give him a few unfluffable lines where he sends himself up:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=97zRVPqutWU
                                  Interesting. I don't remember that scene at all. I wonder if it was cut over here? Or it'll be a part of what Netfix will call season four.

Comment

My son doesn't remember it either. Is it some kind of spoof?

Comment

Possible explanation

The Brazilian filmed scenes for two episodes of the show (called Money Heist in English markets) last November. However, according to widespread reports including ​AS, the world's most expensive footballer's cameo was initially left on the editing room floor for the release of the series' third season in July due to ongoing rape accusations.

That case has since been dismissed for lack of evidence and the Paris Saint-Germain forward's part has now been re-added to episodes six and eight of season three, which can now be viewed on ​Netflix.

Comment

Ah. Very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Wait.

There was a good Asterix film?
                                          Yep. The 12 Tasks of Asterix. (The original 1970s cartoon)

Comment

Thomas Müller popped up in an episode of Hubert und Staller (German TV Krimi featuring mismatched Bavarian cops).

Comment

I look at some of these castings and cannot begin to fathom how they ever came to be.

Comment

Terry Skiverton, formerly of Yeovil, both as a player and manager, played Luis Amor Rodriguez's assistant manager in the second and third series of Dream Team. At the time he was a semi-pro player for Welling and did acting on the side.

Comment

Berti Vogts played a gardener in Tatort about 20 years ago. If I remember rightly, he found a rabbit and returned it to its owner.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X