Manhunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manhunter

Oh, get in, this is on ITV1 as we speak. Forgotten all about this until now. By far and away the best adaptation of any of the Hannibal Lecter (he's "Lecktor" in this one) novel-cum-screenplays.

Manhunter

Yeah, Brian Cox plays him with a real world-weariness. That he seems so mundane is much more chilling than Hopkins and his stupid slurping noises.

Comment

Manhunter

Oh man. I love Manhunter. A complete classic. Michael Mann's mise-en-scene is exquisite - the trademark rich saturated colours, the all-white scenes, the night scenes, it's incredible to look at.

Comment

Manhunter

I once chose this for a romantic, cosy evening in with a new girlfriend back when I was a teenager.

Man, I had no idea back then.

Comment

Manhunter

Yeah, but how did it turn out? Was she impressed by the cool, adult sensibilities that would choose such a dark and uncompromising film, or did she think you were a sick fucker with whom she'd have no more contact with?

Explain, man.

Comment

Manhunter

I've always thought Cox's Lecter was the best. I know it's in the story/script, but the trick with the phone and the foil is done so brilliantly and subtly that it really conveys the real-world scariness of the character, rather than just as an icon or a presence. It's almost as if he could have escaped at any moment ...if he really wanted to.

Very underrated actor, of course.

Comment

Manhunter

Nuno Gomes Loves Lyra wrote:
              Oh man. I love Manhunter. A complete classic. Michael Mann's mise-en-scene is exquisite - the trademark rich saturated colours, the all-white scenes, the night scenes, it's incredible to look at.
              Choosing 'Strong As I Am' by The Prime Movers - an Aussie mid-80s Simple Minds wannabe band (who were actually okay) - for inclusion on the soundtrack was pretty cool too. :-)

Comment

Manhunter

Can any US cousins vouch for Brian Cox's American accent?

Comment

Manhunter

erwin wrote:
                  Can any US cousins vouch for Brian Cox's American accent?
                  Wasn't it pretty much the same as in X(men)2, where he played Stryker? I remember thinking that his Lecter seemed to be English!

Comment

Manhunter

Ok, then in the 'Bourne' films?

Comment

Working...
                    X