Rutger Hauer dies aged 75

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49098435

I think
    "Time... to die"
    Ought to have been the thread title

Comment

Mine was one for the teenagers.

Comment

Aw man... he's brilliant in a lot of shit, as well as Blade Runner and the much underrated The Hitcher.

Comment

RIP - Hauer had great screen presence.

(I read earlier that he apparently instigated an AIDS-awareness initiative in the 1980s called the Starfish Foundation. Now, far be it for me to be disingenuous about so noble an act, but I'm not sure that that was the most appropriate name to choose...)

Comment

No love for Ladyhawke?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
              No love for Ladyhawke?
              My Delirium is a brilliant song.

Comment

I only recall him from Blind Fury which I used to watch on video in my early teens. He was fantastic in that.

Comment

Rutger and my mate's niece:

Comment

A missed open goal of Ronnie Rosenthal proportions with the thread title here.

Comment

Bummer. Too young. But the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long...

Comment

His character in The Hitcher was one of the scariest bastards I've ever seen in a film. I could never see another film with him in it because I was pretrified of him.

Comment

Ladyhawke - Fucking ruined by Knopfler's soundtrack.

Blind Fury - Stupidly good fun where it has no right to be.

The Hitcher - Dear God, yes. He's completely terrifying in it. It's a nasty, brutal movie (in a good way).

Comment

All those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain

RIP

Comment

Wedlock. That's another decent gem.

Comment

The Hitcher was almost everyone's favourite B-movie horror flick in the 1980s.

I never realised that he basically improvised his death scene speech in Blade Runner. It wasn't in Ridley Scott's script.

Comment

Batty 'bye

Comment

I've never liked Blade Runner. I thoroughly respect it and have watched it several times, but I find it a cold, emotionless film for all the wrong reasons. The visuals clearly take precedence over characters that you can invest in. That is why that final speech is so memorable - it finally builds the character and leaves something to the viewers imagination "C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate". It lets you imagine the universe instead of insisting on showing you every bit of it.
                                    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 25-07-2019, 08:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                      I never realised that he basically improvised his death scene speech in Blade Runner. It wasn't in Ridley Scott's script.

That's not quite true. He certainly didn't deliver the words in the script but he used quite a lot of them:

I’ve seen things… seen things you little people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion bright as magnesium… I rode on the back decks of a blinker and watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments… they’ll be gone.

The magnificent ending was his though.

Comment

That's a hell of a lot clunkier than the lines Rutger delivered.

Comment

You should see the original draft:

I’ve known adventures, seen places you people will never see, I’ve been Offworld and back… frontiers! I’ve stood on the back deck of a blinker bound for the Plutition Camps with sweat in my eyes watching stars fight on the shoulder of Orion… I’ve felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear. I’ve seen it, felt it…!

Comment

I liked him in most of the Verhoeven trash he did, especially Flesh + Blood with Jennifer Jason Leigh. Also The Hitcher.

Found him a bit annoying in the Guinness adverts, and I've never seen Blade Runner. Sci-fi is silly.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised no one's mentioned Soldier of Orange, the first time many of us in the anglosphere saw him I suspect. It's also, arguably, the closest Verhoeven's ever come to directing a genuine epic. One of the best WW2 occupation films I've seen.

Comment

Have we done Escape from Sobibor yet?
                                                Last edited by Guy Profumo; 28-07-2019, 13:13.

Comment

Working...
                                                X