13 Minutes To The Moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 Minutes To The Moon

I've mentioned this over on the Apollo 11 thread I started, but I think it is worth mentioning in its own right. Felt appropriate to finish listing to it today 20/07. A podcast from the BBC World Service. Again, although you know how it ends, it remains tense and moving. By the time you get to the episode which consist solely of the 13 minutes radio between capcom and the lunar module you already familiar with all the acronyms and alarms. Top stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2

Thanks gt3 I’ll give that a listen this week.

Comment

Yep, really enjoyed it.

I’d also recommend “8 Days: To the Moon and Back” which I watched on the BBC iplayer.

Its a dramatisation with actors lip syncing to the real audio mixed with documentary footage.

Comment

Tom Dunne is doing a show on Newstalk, and he's focusing on the mixtape they brought with them. It started off with buzz Aldrin's choice of Galveston, before moving on to this quite frankly crazy Jazz piano and theremin number call Mist o' the moon. Armstrong was a big fan, but He got a minute into it and they started screaming at him from Houston to turn off that fucking noise. Barbarians. So instead he put on "Everyone's going to the moon" by jonathan King. Apparently they spent a lot of time listening to Frank Sinatra's version of Fly me to the moon. I mean it's corny, but..... what else are you going to play? Aldrin put it on before going out on his walk. Angel of the Morning by bettye Swann. Buzz Aldrin was apparently most particular about this version. But also thisg son Mother Country, which in its own way is much weirder than armstrong's theremin music. I can imagine this got wearing after the fifth day.

This is an article about it from Vanity fair .

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
          I've mentioned this over on the Apollo 11 thread I started...
          Sorry, where's this thread?

Comment

Time constraints meant I chose to skip episodes 1-7 which I know set the scene, but today I dived in and listened to what I guess is the highlights reel, 8 and 9. Gripping stuff, beautifully produced. Looking forward to the final two. Thanks for the tip gt3.

Comment

There's an Apollo 11 thread? I'll be over as soon as i can.

Comment

Let me know where it is when you find it.

(Story of my life, that...)

Comment

Further recommendations for '13 Minutes to the Moon', by the way. It is excellent. Kevin Fong spoke at my daughters' school's prizegiving day - they said he was fab.

I've just re-read 'Moondust: In Search of the Men who Fell to Earth' by Andrew Smith. Again; recommended.

Comment

Working...
                  X