Yet another Spider-Man movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another Spider-Man movie

I saw Spider-Man Far From Home today. Not bad although I'd unintentionally spoilered a key plot point. The supporting cast were a lot of fun.

There are two post credits scenes, both worth staying for.

Earth is still dealing with the whole disappearance/ reappearance plot line from Avengers Endgame and it's interesting to see how they are dealing with that. I quite like that aspect of things. But the wider universe stuff doesn't get in the way of the movie.

I enjoyed it. Ramones on the soundtrack.

Comment

Very enjoyable, damn funny and smart planning to have such a contrasting film follow Endgame. Possibly not the best Spider-Man movie this year but no shame in that as 'Into the Spider-Verse' was so good.

SPOILER

My George Costanzaesque feelings for Marisa Tomei endure and it's heartening to see a heftier gentleman like Jon Favreau's Happy involved with her Aunt May.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-07-2019, 08:51.

Comment

I'm not too sure about it. I think my doubts stem from just how delightful the first one was.

SPOILERS

[spoiler]The villain (which was spoiled for me unintentionally) felt a little too like an early Iron Man foe.
        I don't think it had the lightness of touch, or joy, that the first one had.
        I'm not sure about how to phrase my final qualm, I'm pretty sure it's an issue with me rather than the film anyway, but I wasn't sold on how MJ seemed to be very different in this film, less knowing and cool, more like a real teenager I guess.
        Oh, did it strike anyone as odd that Parker was now head over heels for MJ? Like it was missing a bit? Although, what this reboot has done very well is skip over the parts that we've already seen twice before on the big screen.[/spoiler]

Do spoiler tags not work any more?

Comment

SPOILERS

A minor point but I was a bit thrown by one aspect of the "blipping" sub-plot. We know Peter blipped so assume MJ and Ned did too. However, some of their class didn't so are now effectively five years older than them (Peter's rival for MJ being the obvious example), why are they on the same school trip?

Comment

I thought the rival guy was the younger brother of one of the guys in the class who was now 'older' than his older brother (who had blipped). I sort of remember a reference to that in the opening few scenes. Possibly the kids doing their news report. (And of course he looks older because he's probably about 25 in real life as most teen actors are.)

I also liked how the Daily Bugle is now an Infowars "news" channel. How times have changed!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              Possibly not the best Spider-Man movie this year but no shame in that as 'Into the Spider-Verse' was so good.

This reminds me I still need to see the Spider-verse movie. It came out while Mrs Thistle was post-operative and we didn't make it to the cinema for ages.

Comment

Oh, it's well worth seeing. I think it's on some of the subscription channels/platforms now.

SPOILERS

The blip's effect on school years was referred to in the new report which seemed pretty clear and there was reference to the love rival's different age. It didn't explain why he, as a 21 year old, was on a school trip with 16 year olds.

Comment

It's on Netflix.

I recommend staying through all the credits. Or fast-forwarding. There's a "mid-credits" thing about Stan Lee but then the thing at the very end is both entertaining and, I think, previews the sequel (as has become normal with these things.)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    I thought the rival guy was the younger brother of one of the guys in the class who was now 'older' than his older brother (who had blipped). I sort of remember a reference to that in the opening few scenes. Possibly the kids doing their news report. (And of course he looks older because he's probably about 25 in real life as most teen actors are.)

I also liked how the Daily Bugle is now an Infowars "news" channel. How times have changed!
                    I think the Daily Bugle is modeled after the NY Post, except the offices are in the Flatiron Building.

In a version of our world in which there really are alien invasions and the government is threatened by a vast conspiracy (HYDRA), I imagine the gap between Murdoch right-wing crap and the fully-unhinged stuff like Infowars would be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      SPOILERS

The blip's effect on school years was referred to in the new report which seemed pretty clear and there was reference to the love rival's different age. It didn't explain why he, as a 21 year old, was on a school trip with 16 year olds.
                      See I missed that he was supposed to be older. I thought he was the younger brother who had 'caught up'.

All their unblipped class would have graduated.

Comment

Actually, maybe you're right and I misunderstood the reference to his ageing while the others didn't. It's probably more that he caught them up than got older than them.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-07-2019, 19:56.

Comment

Although, as is often the case, the "sixteen year old high street kids" all looked older because the youngest ones are about 22 or 23. (Except for MJ who actually did look like a teen, although Zendaya is 22.)

Comment

Man, I came out with a sour taste in my mouth.

I far preferred the non-Spiderman bits, whether it was teens go mad in Europe or Peter Parker talks to adults, the action was fairly perfunctory.

However, the post credits. JESUS!

​​​​​​*******SPOILER ALERT**********

Nice to see JK Simmons, he basically is J Jonah Jameson but both the "Hero's secret identity is...." and "They were really a Skrull" are just massively tired tropes for an old comic lag like me. Bruce Wayne's foiled more attempts to out him than Liberace and pretty much everyone needing a retcon to avoid death/retcon that has fallen on its arse/failed turn has turned to be a Skrull, or a clone (Christ, not the Spiderman clone nonsense).

Comment

Working...
                            X