Well, farewell Modern Family then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, farewell Modern Family then

The last episode of the last series has aired.

I really liked this show when it first came out. The writing was pacy. The jokes were funny. All the characters had their endearing side.

It lost its way a bit. Too often it felt like the scriptwriters went out of their way to set up a complicated gag that just didn't work. All the characters eventually became more extreme versions of themselves until they were virtually parodies.

And yet, it was still worth watching and the final episode rounded up each character's story arc reasonably well, closing out with a scene in homage to the very first episode that brought everything full circle.

I sometimes feel a bit sad when seasons come to an end. These are characters I've spent a lot of time with over the years and suddenly they're gone. The Big Bang Theory has ended this year as well, again probably a few years after it should have. But I'm still going to miss it.

At its peak it was probably my favourite comedy of the time. Usually "family-based" sitcoms have annoying kids, but MF used them intelligently, so as it turned out, the show was funnier when they were going through school than when they became adults and had the usual soap relationships.

Several of the older cast (Burrell, Ferguson, Stonestreet) are accomplished non-verbal actors - a glance, a delayed understanding - and the pace didn't slow down to wait for us to catch up.

Random episode nomination: Cam joining the Christian rock band. "A man shouldn't lie (Yeah!), a man shouldn't lie (yeah!) ... with another man" (penny drops ...).

Comment

How did it end? I haven't seen it in a long time because I don't have regular TV.

Edit: I looked it up and the reports say that next season is actually the last.

https://abc.go.com/shows/modern-fami...nal-end-of-era
      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-07-2019, 15:36.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen what was a reasonably well-rounded sitcom when it started become a bad live action cartoon so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          How did it end? I haven't seen it in a long time because I don't have regular TV.

Edit: I looked it up and the reports say that next season is actually the last.

https://abc.go.com/shows/modern-fami...nal-end-of-era
          Oh I thought it was the very last episode. I guess they're keeping it on life support.

The finale episode of season 10 was Haley giving birth to Dylan's twins while wrapping up everyone else's story arcs, like what happened to Manny's Canadian girlfriend.

Comment

I see. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X