X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday

An entertaining enough little diversion

Worth seeing.

It sounds like the most ludicrous fillum ever.

Comment

I really like the premise but read some unfavorable reviews. I’ll see it eventually

Comment

Oh come now.

It's not like "woke up in an alternative World" isn't a well-worn track, is it?

(An interesting "John from Liverpool" cameo in it, too)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          I really like the premise but read some unfavorable reviews. I’ll see it eventually
          It's part written by Richard Curtis based on an idea by Mackenzie Crook and directed by Danny Boyle.

Does what it says on the tin.

Comment

I'd delete the bit about the cameo.

Comment

I didn't know who it was until I looked it up, as it's not in the credits at the end.

So I'm leaving it in.

Comment

[It’s called a Spoiler]

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                  [It’s called a Spoiler]
                  A light comedic film about the Beatles never existed includes cameos from the Beatles is a spoiler?

Oh come on

I'm only surprised "Peter" didn't turn up somewhere along the line.

Comment

Which actor plays what role is not a spoiler. That's official.

Comment

That wasn't the spoiler I was accused of?

(I take it we all already know Dickie and Jim have a couple of even briefer cameos in it?)

Comment

Who are they?

Comment

I have no idea.

And i've seen the film.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            Who are they?
                            Jack, Jim, George, and Dick?

That's the whole single joke behind the film.

And the film might mine that trope, it isn't the film.

Comment

I've not the slightest clue what that's about. Not to worry. It's not like I'm going to see the fillum.

Comment

It’s not bad considering the Curtis-isation. I really struggle with his dialogue, which coats a movie like an emollient. You have to like the emollient and generally it grates on me.

This one gets away with it mainly thanks to Himesh Patel, who is excellent, as are his parents Meera Syal and Sanjeev Bhaskar. (If you get the chance to catch it Patel’s in the excellent Damned). Also on the plus side of the ledger is that there isn’t a hint of cultural stereotype in these three characters, in fact the lead’s Indian heritage isn’t referenced. I was worried about hearing somebody else doing Beatles songs but he gets away with it on the whole I felt.

It’s only fair to attach a Sheeran warning, although he does allow himself to be sent up somewhat, and a Corden warning, albeit mercifully brief. Oh and a shockingly stereotypical portrayal of US industry types.

Make of of that what you will.

And it’s Robert Carlyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Jack, Jim, George, and Dick?

That's the whole single joke behind the film.
                                  So it's like The Rutles?

I dunno, if it had been 'about' The Fall rather than The Beatles I might have fancied it.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                  a Corden warning
                                  The only thing I've ever seen Corden in is Telstar, where he has a proper part and is perfectly decent at it, but I don't think he was famous then (at least I hadn't heard of him).
                                  Last edited by delicatemoth; 06-07-2019, 23:28.

Comment

I seem to remember he was fine in The History Boys, again pre-fame.

Comment

Anything that causes kids to get into The Beatles is usually fine by me as long as it doesn't blatantly lie about whom they were or their influences. I will probably watch it on Netflix more as a sociological event than an enjoyable piece of work - a Beatles film using BAME actors would have been inconceivable even 20 years ago, I'd have thought - but I'd be a lot keener if the writer had a more cutting-edge CV and if all the signs didnt indicate this was going to be safety-first on anything mildly contentious in the group's history (not to mention Liverpool's ambiguous relationship with its legacy).

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

I dunno, if it had been 'about' The Fall rather than The Beatles I might have fancied it.

But you know there's been a sequel:

Comment

I quite enjoyed it. the songs are good. the performances are likeable. and as often with Curtis he reveals more about the state of the country than perhaps he knows.

Comment

The original premise has got legs but they never get to stand up, never mind put their shorts and running shoes on. And then the second half, when the makers realise the first half is going nowhere, man, is trite beyond triteness. All in all, a rather duff romantic comedy that doesn't live up to the billing. A bit lame really.

If you really must go to the kino, go and see Bunuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles.

Comment

I found it an enjoyable enough way to spend a couple of hours, and it's always exciting to watch a film and realise that you've been to that branch of Upper Crust.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                It’s not bad considering the Curtis-isation. I really struggle with his dialogue, which coats a movie like an emollient. You have to like the emollient and generally it grates on me.

This one gets away with it mainly thanks to Himesh Patel, who is excellent, as are his parents Meera Syal and Sanjeev Bhaskar. (If you get the chance to catch it Patel’s in the excellent Damned). Also on the plus side of the ledger is that there isn’t a hint of cultural stereotype in these three characters, in fact the lead’s Indian heritage isn’t referenced. I was worried about hearing somebody else doing Beatles songs but he gets away with it on the whole I felt.

It’s only fair to attach a Sheeran warning, although he does allow himself to be sent up somewhat, and a Corden warning, albeit mercifully brief. Oh and a shockingly stereotypical portrayal of US industry types.

Make of of that what you will.

And it’s Robert Carlyle.

Wasn't the Corden bit a not exactly subtle nod to The Ed Sullivan Show?

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

So it's like The Rutles?

The only thing I've ever seen Corden in is Telstar, where he has a proper part and is perfectly decent at it, but I don't think he was famous then (at least I hadn't heard of him).
                                                  James McCartney
                                                  "Jack" Lennon
                                                  George Harrison
                                                  Stuart Sutcliffe
                                                  Peter Best

You must have heard of them?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X