Apollo 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo 11

Shamefully, on the hottest day of the year so far, I'be been indoors watching this. One for the completists I'd suggest. The use of archive footage and no voices except the cap com and the capsule along with (I think Walter Cronkite's news commentary) adds a real sense of "being there". The tension when they are on the way back and there's radio blackout as they come through the atmosphere is genuinely tense - even though you know what happens. Oh, actually, there is one other voice - Richard Nixon.

Honourable mention for the score as well.

For anyone who wants even more, the 13 minutes to the moon podcast on BBC Sounds is worth a listen.

*Coming out of the cinema, I heard a middle aged woman saying to her friend that "of course it's all fake, and we never actually went to the moon" I asked her if she was a flat earther as well. She looked at me like I was some kind of idiot! "Of course not, that's just nonsense" she said
    Last edited by gt3; 29-06-2019, 16:00.

I read in passing about a guy who'd bought videocassettes from Nasa, only to end up with Apollo 11 telemetry. I'm aware a load of Apollo 11 telemetry got lost, but I'm not sure how the two connect.

Comment

*Coming out of the cinema, I heard a middle aged woman saying to her friend that "of course it's all fake, and we never actually went to the moon
      My Mum used to say that. She didn't believe we'd ever been to space. Then I pointed out to get she was watching satellite television and she shut up.
      I think she must have watched Capricorn One and got a bit conspiracy theory.

Comment

Mitchell and Webb make a persuasive case for the moon hoax.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 01-07-2019, 20:53.

Comment

Mythbusters comprehensively demolished fhe
          hoax argument.

Comment

I have just come back from the cinema and recommend everyone go see Apollo 11. Ten out of ten doesn't do it justice.

Comment

At the risk of being reviled for my musical tastes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIo6qwJarI

Comment

I saw it last night, and it was awe-inspiring. The footage is often jaw-dropping, especially with each manoeuvre (particularly as Eagle reconnects with Columbia on the voyage back). Just staggering. My only quibble with it is that I wish they had subtitles, as occasionally I couldn't make out the transmissions between Apollo 11 and Houston. I wish I was able to watch it on a massive screen, in a big screen, not the tiny one that Cineworld put me in last night with three rows of seats.

I look forward to the BBC Four film coming out soon.

That's the one PSB song I like, Moonlight Shadow. Good for jogging.

Comment

Working...
                X