X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tofiq Bahramov was from Azerbaijan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

West Germany were always refered to as the Germans in the 1980's sporting events.
      'The Germans' always seems to me like an early warning signal that the fog of delusion, self pity and misplaced war nostalgia that has hung around the England team (and most other national enterprises) for most of my living memory is approaching. It was as widespread as that state of mind, so very widespread. If I was billing myself as a football historian and recording comments for a documentary in 2019, I'd be aware of that and would choose to avoid the usage.
      Last edited by Benjm; 27-03-2020, 09:23. Reason: jarring repetition

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
        Tofiq Bahramov was from Azerbaijan.
        Exactly, which was my point. He was never referred to as the soviet Linesman.

Comment

Yes, though I think Benjm's point is not about geopolitical laxity from the commentators, i.e. not that West Germany was being conflated with Germany as a whole in the commentator's mind, in the same way as Azerbaijan, Ukraine etc. were with the Soviet Union (making them 'Russian') – but rather about how in British sporting commentary there's this tendency to call them specifically The Germans rather than Germany (or indeed West Germany), in a manner that doesn't seem to happen nearly so much with other nationalities with whom we didn't have 20th-century armed conflicts. It's an unconscious slip into wartime terminology, or presumably conscious when it's a tabloid headline, that still portrays them as an 'other' i.e. an enemy rather than merely the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Exactly, which was my point. He was never referred to as the soviet Linesman.
            I think that fact was the first I ever learnt about Azerbaijan. Well, and the fact that the old national stadium was named after him

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              Yes, though I think Benjm's point is not about geopolitical laxity from the commentators, i.e. not that West Germany was being conflated with Germany as a whole in the commentator's mind, in the same way as Azerbaijan, Ukraine etc. were with the Soviet Union (making them 'Russian') – but rather about how in British sporting commentary there's this tendency to call them specifically The Germans rather than Germany (or indeed West Germany), in a manner that doesn't seem to happen nearly so much with other nationalities with whom we didn't have 20th-century armed conflicts. It's an unconscious slip into wartime terminology, or presumably conscious when it's a tabloid headline, that still portrays them as an 'other' i.e. an enemy rather than merely the opposition.
              Thanks, VA; that is what I was getting at, expressed rather more clearly in your post. If you've got time to kill during the lockdown I should give you my log in details!

Comment

Heheh, I'll be pleased to act as your OTF proxy on all matters requiring clarity of English!

Comment

Mind you, I say "clarity" – but reading my previous post again, I notice that everything from "Yes..." to "...conflicts" is one sentence. It's either a masterclass of punctuation and subclauses, or a Dickensian prolapse into prolixity.

Comment

Now free to stream on Channel 4

[URL]https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1244200519880658945?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Okay, so how on earth did Maradona's trial in Napoli happen so quickly? From what I've gathered of the Italian legal system, it should be due to come to court about now...

Comment

I think that moral of the film that he really, really pissed them off. Very much so.

Comment

He should have had a penalty v Brazil in 1982: blatant trip by Junior (see FIFA official film at 9 minutes in). Gentile would have been fucked under today's refereeing standards, or would have had to learn greater subtlety. Does anyone know why Kempes was so poor in 1982, and why Luque had his last international cap in 1981, despite only being 32?
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-04-2020, 12:02.

Comment

Working...
                          X