Maradona - spoilers (no, really).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maradona - spoilers (no, really).

Amazed that we haven't had a thread on this (yes I have scoured the 'Football' thread). Saw it on Monday and was really blown away by it.Not, it has to be said, by the elements I thought I would. To get those out of the way first, the footage was pretty ropey looking quality but, despite this, the access the cameramen got and the resulting angles - especially the pitch side ones - really added to it. It really highlighted how tough Maradona really was on the pitch, riding multiple potential bone-breaking 'tackles' and still retaining the ball. I genuinely can't think of a player that I have seen targeted in this way. While, in his book, Maradona made a big deal about how cheating is tacitly accepted in Argentina, I can't help but think that the treatment he received especially in Italy caused the reaction in the way he played. Also, it showed a fucking horrible elbow in the face that he got form an English player in the 86 World Cup match. In the film, it is placed before the first goal but, obviously, this could have edited in non-chronologically to push the narrative. Even if it is after, it is a fucking horrible foul.

Mark Kermode and the director made a big deal previously about how the sound editing and how the editor had done a lot of research into how the balls would sound when kicked and how that sound changed as the balls got lighter. I have to be honest and say that the sound - especially the match effects - really jarred with me sounding obviously dubbed on and akin to those official World Cup films from the 60s and 70s. Now, this may be down to the cinema I was in which wasn't an Odeon or anything (although a louder system would have made this even more pronounced, I suppose). After a while, I didn't notice it quite so much so it certainly didn't spoil the film. On the other hand, I though the score was brilliant and will be looking out for it to buy.

The real triumph of the film was the editing and direction (perhaps obviously as it is a documentary of found footage). After the first 30 minutes, I did wonder how even I - as someone who loves Maradona - was going to be gripped by over two hours of football documentary but it is edited more like The Sopranos than a normal documentary. Obviously, there is the raw material for this in Maradona you wouldn't get with most footballers and it helps that Diego was channelling Tony Montana for most of the time off-field. The opening sequence - despite restrictions - apes the opening of Goodfellas somewhat as well. The introduction of different characters - wife, girlfriend, the Camorra and, most importantly, his trainer - keeps the pace of the film up. A mate asked me this morning what my favourite bit was and I actually realised it was what is really the most dramatic part. It didn't occur to me that, of course, the Argentina-Italy semi-final was in Napoli and the way this segment - including the events leading up to this - was filmed genuinely gave me goosebumps and is really the peak of the film. I was also really impressed how the claustrophobia that Maradona felt as he was mobbed whenever he went out came across and this was definitely due to the access the cameramen had. I also was struck by how amateurish international and top flight football was then compared to the corporate world it is now - Maradona being kicked up by Napoli in what appears to be a mid-range Fiat and being able to carry the World Cup all over the place with minimum security being only two examples of this. The only slight odd part is the two more recent segments at the end. While one ties up a thread in the film, the other doesn't really and is unnecessary.

All in all, however, an excellent film that I will revisit and probably sets a new template for football films. I haven't seen Amy or Senna as I am not that gripped by either subject but will probably check them out now. Also, although it is a different film, I am going to have to watch the Zinedane Zidane movie to compare and contrast.
    Last edited by Bored Of Education; 01-07-2019, 11:23.

I thought it was great, even my football hating gf liked it. Was surprised how it almost completely focuses on the Italian years, but that avoids it becoming a freak show. And the Barca debacle is prob best dealt with in an opening montage.

Thought the WC 86 footage looked great on the big screen.

Comment

The Zidane in game footage movie is a study in artful tedium in comparison.

Comment

I want to see this and luckily it is having an extended run at our local volunteer run, non-profit making, independent cinema. It's gentrification gone mad, I tell you.

Comment

I went to see this tonight. Everything BE said above. Even the gf, who doesn't get football really enjoyed it. The football footage was almost incidental. And yes, the score is an essential buy. Kapadia seems to have a talent for finding flawed individuals and making these breathtaking films. GF and I wondered who his next subject might be...

Comment

Really want to see this but the nearest cinema showing it is in Leicester, a good 30-45 minute drive away.

As someone who’s not really into F1 I would highly recommend “Senna”, it’s a truly exceptional documentary especially when it comes to the rivalry between Senna and Prost .

Comment

"As someone who’s not really into F1 I would highly recommend “Senna”, it’s a truly exceptional documentary especially when it comes to the rivalry between Senna and Prost ."

Yes. And the sequence at the beginning (iirc) when he's driving in the rain at Monaco and he describes not remembering it...as though a higher power was guiding him, making him go faster and faster eventhough he couldn't see where he was going because of the rain...just wow...

Comment

I need to watch it (Senna) again but I really do remember being totally gripped by it.

I love how these documentaries help you put events into context, something that is tricky when they’re actually happening, especially as, in the U.K. sporting coverage is slanted towards our “heroes” such as Nigel Mansell.
                Last edited by tracteurgarcon; 27-06-2019, 09:10.

Comment

The elbow in the face was from Terry Fenwick and was shrugged off by Barry Davies and Jimmy Hill as play-acting by the victim. England could not cope with him by legal means. Today he'd have scored many more goals against that opponent.

Comment

Thanks for that, SD. Was it before or after the handball? I don't condone it at any time but, at least, you can sort of understand it as a reaction to that. Disgusting.

Another point that some mirror here is that it was on a really odd run here. It was on one early evening and 4 weekly afternoons at the local arthouse, five weekday afternoons at the Odeon and one evening showing at the local hipster cinema/bar/restaurant. I know it isn't a blockbuster but surprised that it isn't on in the evening more.

Comment

Fenwick's elbow was before the handball goal.

Comment

The roughhousing in his first season in Italy was something else as well. Enforcement by refs was a different world then.

Comment

I watched it and enjoyed most of it, but thought it dragged on a bit too long. I wasn't captivated as much as I was by Senna (whom I knew a lot about) or Amy (whom I didn't). The scenes of him playing as a kid in Argentina was brilliant, and I was amazed too at the lack of security in the 1986 WC Final. Fans running onto the pitch to grab him at the final whistle, wouldn't happen now of course. Great scenes of him being introduced at Napoli and the footage of the Juventus games, particularly the songs.

Comment

Wonderful stuff, BE summarises it well above. I didn't see how it'd worked but with a small bit of artistic licence they managed to stitch together a shedload of contemporary clips from all sorts of sources to produce a cogent narrative. You get a real feel for the sheer claustrophobia of living in Naples (it's an incredibly intense place for anyone at the best of times, never mind for a demigod). And you get a feel for Maradona himself... the charisma, the vulnerability, the genius, the vicitim (real and perceived), the hard man, the addict, the family man.

Comment

Off to watch it at Home this week!

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                Really want to see this but the nearest cinema showing it is in Leicester, a good 30-45 minute drive away.

As someone who’s not really into F1 I would highly recommend “Senna”, it’s a truly exceptional documentary especially when it comes to the rivalry between Senna and Prost .
                                It's a complete hatchet job on Prost though. Right down to insinuating Prost is a creep for flirting with some TV show host while Senna's whispering to Xuxa how he wants to fuck her while she's hosting a children's TV show.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

It's a complete hatchet job on Prost though. Right down to insinuating Prost is a creep for flirting with some TV show host while Senna's whispering to Xuxa how he wants to fuck her while she's hosting a children's TV show.
                                  It's been a while since I saw it but didn't it say at the end that Prost had cooperated with the film and, effectively, approved it?

Comment

Finally saw it tonight and it's probably (along with the thematically very similar John Wick 3) my film of the year so far.

We all know the story but the drama of it hits you anew due to the quality & volume of footage (I wonder how many global stars in any field prior to Maradona had a camera, TV or home video, in front of them for as much of their lives. Michael Jackson was the only name that came to mind) and the focus Kapadia trains on the events (local and global) of the Napoli era.

The masterstoke is to take his personal trainer Fernando Signorini's observation of the split personalities Diego & Maradona and make them a constant reference point throughout the film. His early days, Barcelona, Napoli, the 86 & 90 World Cups (especially the semi-final of the latter which is correctly treated like an action movie's set piece confrontation), the Comorra, the paternity scandal and the drugs, drugs and drugs are all seen through that prism. That's why the film is very distinctly "Diego Maradona" not "Maradona".

The sound design & score are both fantastic and the interviews recorded especially for the film with Maradona himself, his wife, Signorini and Ciro Ferrera (who is a complete hero throughout the film) amongst others are all outstanding.

I spent pretty much the whole film alternating between literally wowing at the match footage with Maradona displaying skills I've seen thousands of times before but never so intensely as on the big screen (and once audibly uttering "Christ!" at remembering quite how old Claudio Ancelotti already looked at Italia '90), laughing my head off or on the verge of tears.

It is bloody wonderful, one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen.
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-07-2019, 21:59.

Comment

I've not seen 'Senna' (despite borrowing a DVD of it for months and meaning to watch it) or 'Amy' either. I've actually consciously avoided the latter as I think the behaviour of the people around Winehouse (both in her family and the music business) will upset and anger me too much. With the new film confirming all the excellent things I've heard about Kapadia's work I really am going to have to put that right.

Comment

I think formula one is shit, but that Senna movie is outrageously good. I wouldn't go near "Amy" if you paid me. I bumped into that group of people twice when I lived in london, and i didn't know who her boyfriend was, but surveying the merry little group in that bowling alley near SOAS, I remember immediately thinking that that cunt in the hat and vest was clearly one of the biggest cunts in london. He radiated it from every pore. I had no idea how much of a cunt he was.

Comment

I somehow never knew that you had lived in London

Then again, I didn't know that there was a bowling alley near SOAS, though I guess it may not have been there when I was in the neighbourhood in the early 80s.

Comment

That was in the days when the Lamb on Lamb's Conduit Street became a regular 'thon haunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

I wouldn't agree with that. I think it's fairly balanced. The one person who does come out badly is Balestre.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                I somehow never knew that you had lived in London

Then again, I didn't know that there was a bowling alley near SOAS, though I guess it may not have been there when I was in the neighbourhood in the early 80s.
                                                Bloomsbury Lanes? Hadn't realised it had been open that long.

Comment

I have an extremely vague recollection of there being something in the Brunswick Centre.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X