Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toy Story 4

Hoping to see this this week.

I really like the Toy Story films, so I'm hoping it lives up to expectations.

98% on RT. Keep seeing 'Best TS film ever?' type headlines, too.

Comment

I'm going to have to go to see it. I wonder what the chances are of persuading my kids to accompany me.

Comment

Haven't seen it yet but seeing as the ending of Toy Story 3 leaves me a blubbering wreck even now 9 years later I'm happy to wait for the DVD, I think.

Comment

There are a few weepy moments here. I went in not knowing anything about it, and with a lot of hesitation as I felt that TS3 was a perfect ending and this just seemed like a completely unnecessary movie from a storytelling point of view.

Without giving anything away, I'd say that it adds some new perspective to how the toys see their roles, and has some great chase/caper scenes.

Comment

Going later this week with daughter, who went to see it today and wants to go again.

Comment

I'm really keen to see it. I also thought Toy Story 3 was the perfect ending, and the trailer didn't inspire me much, but I know how formulaic those things necessarily are, so I'm optimistic.
              Last edited by diggedy derek; 24-06-2019, 19:08.

Comment

Fun film facts no.1 : Woody was originally drawn as as a wisecracking discarded ventriquolist's dummy, but in early production test showings children found the character terrifying.

Comment

Nicked from Twitter: "The villain in Toy Story 4 will be Marie Kondo".

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                    Fun film facts no.1 : Woody was originally drawn as as a wisecracking discarded ventriquolist's dummy, but in early production test showings children found the character terrifying.
                    One of my younger brothers had a ventriloquist's dummy, the standard toy version with orange hair and a checked jacket. The next brother down was absolutely terrified of it. Even from a older perspective it was extremely creepy and unsettling.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

One of my younger brothers had a ventriloquist's dummy, the standard toy version with orange hair and a checked jacket. The next brother down was absolutely terrified of it. Even from a older perspective it was extremely creepy and unsettling.
                      My worst nightmare.

If you want to be really disturbed, check out the Vent Haven museum in Kentucky.

Comment

Inca's right in that the focus in TS4 is more on the toys' themselves rather than their interactions with kids and their development. It's not as good as TS3 (which was one of the most perfect, poignant, lump-in-throat endings of any film in any genre ever), but it's still pretty good, and it's about Bo as much as anyone really. Our two loved it anyhow, though [minor spoiler alert] our three-year-old got very distressed about the girl briefly lost at the fairground

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                          I'm going to have to go to see it. I wonder what the chances are of persuading my kids to accompany me.

Pretty good as it turns out, everyone being up for a "for old times sake" experience, though having a hungover 18-year-old and a sassy 16-year-old felt a bit odd.

Visually the film was great but I wasn't wholly taken by the story. There were some very funny moments though and, for Arrested Development fans, Tony Hale is excellent as the voice of one of the new characters.

We made a bit of a mess of the booking and end up watching it in 3D & D-BOX. What the heck is D-BOX some of you may ask:

D-Box offers seats with motion; your cinema chair is synchronised to the film and mimics movements and vibrations on screen - immersive cinema at its very best.

D-Box seats can vibrate, pitch back and forth, roll from side to side and heave up and down. So, if on screen a car is accelerating, your seat will move forwards; the motion is part of the script. You can alter the intensity of movement through controls in the chair, or even turn it off altogether at any point during the film.

I turned it off altogether at a very early point in the film.

Comment

That sounds awful.

I still haven't seen the film yet. Was meant to go last night but had a horrible headache so didn't.

Comment

Yes, there was one point at which it was quite neat but for the most part it felt like being in a car with a learner driver!

Comment

I thought it was brilliant. Welled up several times, loved Forky and very, very funny. May watch again, as I missed some guest voices and a lot of other references to previous Pixar films.

"T-t-trash?"

"Yes..I...Can-ada!"

Comment

My take is similar to NS, visually it was splendid but the story felt like a bit of an "adventures of", with the ending a bit bolted on. I did laugh plenty, with the fairground prizes getting the funniest pieces (particularly in the end credits sequence). Glad we went but feel they've taken it far enough now and should leave it there. I'm no stranger to welling up at films, but wasn't close to it with this and felt it didn't have the emotional range of 3 or even 2.

Our local cinema is a Vue, so it is £4.99 all shows, then we got 2 for 1 on the Meerkat thing, and then they had a three items for £10.99 deal so I got a pint, daughter got a slush, and we shared a popcorn, so it was all in for under £16. It's £20 to watch Carlisle these days, though admittedly you are guaranteed more laughs than the average cinema comedy.
                                  Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 27-06-2019, 22:06.

Comment

Should add, as its been mentioned, the lost girl scene was a bit strong amongst the japery that was otherwise going on.

Comment

Saw this tonight. Am gathering my thoughts.

I liked the bunny and duck combo. Best new characters in a while. Forky was a one note gag that lasted the entire film.

The problem with the whole film, I feel, is that it's like a few recent Pixar/Disney films in that it's trying to tell more than one story and can't really decide what direction to go in.

Mrs Thistle was disappointed with it on both minor technical points and major plot points.

My Pixar inner geek was satisfied by seeing Tin Toy finally make a big picture debut.

Comment

All a bit late to get back on this, but I enjoyed Toy Story 4 a lot. It feels somehow both inessential but authentic, a little extra chapter in the story but it takes the characters forward in a meaningful way.

I liked the way a lot that Woody, who has become a slightly conservative character, is used to put the real main star of the show in this new one into sharp relief.

I expected to spend most of it crying, as I did through most of the end of the third one, but strangely it didn't have that kind of deep emotional engagement. It was just a .... good, thoughtful, sincere, satisfying film. I suppose they'll eventually do fifth but I hope they don't.
                                        Last edited by diggedy derek; 25-07-2019, 22:09.

Comment

It was nicely conceived - a bit schmaltzy and perhaps lacking in some of the humour of the previous efforts, but still good for all that.

Comment

SPOILERS

I think I pretty much agree with everything Derek says, with the exception that I did well up and actually cry during the final scene. Watching Woody part ways with the rest of the toys when they've all been a part of mine and my 17, 15 and 12 year old children's (who were all sat next to me) lives for such a long time got me.

It should be the last but I fear it won't be as Tom Hanks has already said the door is open for another. Though given there were approximately decade gaps between each of the last three films maybe they'll come up with another plot and script worthy of the franchise in that kind of time.

Forky, Ducky & Bunny, Duke Caboom and the Vincents are all welcome additions to the cast and the new ass-kicking Bo is a revelation. The story is a worthwhile deviation from the arc of the original trilogy and brings out other facets of the toys' lives, plus it is really, really funny,
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-07-2019, 22:45.

Comment

Bargain!

Local kino is showing this for a fiver this morning.

Comment

Much enjoyment.

And yes.

There were genuinely heart-wrenching scenes in there.

4½ stars.

Comment

Saw the first with son aged 4 and this latest with daughter aged 23.

My last Pixar I think.

easily the best series and a near perfect foursome.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X