OTFers on Television and Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    There's no point trying to follow him on social media either if you intend to have any kind of dialogue that isn't about how great he is. You will be immediately blocked.
    Translation: "When I gave unsolicited negative feedback on his skills or subject matter, like some dick walking up to you in the street and saying 'oi mate, you're ugly' he blocked me rather than wasting his time on a conversation."

Comment

"I've enjoyed his contributions to Chart Music; he is always lucid and articulate and, yet, he would be an excellent 6Music presenter, enthusiastic and willing to do his homework"

#

"Oi mate, you're ugly"

Comment

Worth saying too, that anyone found him surly 10 years ago, might want to give his book a read, which should enlighten you as to why he was sometimes less than gregarious.
        I've never found him to be anything other than honest, engaging, genuine and lucid company if rather less suffering of fools than some. Same can be said for SSS.
        While life, age and geography and my general increasing insularity means I sadly don't really see them anymore (likewise all of the other ex OTFers on here I used to spend a fair bit of time with) I've a ton of excellent experiences I'd not have had without them (and other well missed ex-posters like Lucia Lannigan et al.)

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
          "I've enjoyed his contributions to Chart Music; he is always lucid and articulate and, yet, he would be an excellent 6Music presenter, enthusiastic and willing to do his homework"

#

"Oi mate, you're ugly"
          Well done for completely changing the context. Very clever.

Actually now I'm confused. Was SD talking about Pricey or Doran? The point stands either way, but my follow up post was about Doran.
          Last edited by hobbes; 18-06-2019, 10:07.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. I may do, but in the meantime remind us briefly why my point below?

He and his mate 'SSS' were consistently rude and aggressive well beyond the usual standard on here- which is probably why people remember it 10 years on.

I left the context exactly as it was.

Comment

The implication that he (whoever it may have been) is a narcissist/terribly thin skinned as per the first half of the post:-

There's no point trying to follow him on social media either if you intend to have any kind of dialogue that isn't about how great he is. You will be immediately blocked.
              Is what I was commenting on.

That is the context. The second half of the post about how good he is on radio is utterly irrelevant to that. It's relatively simple to follow, I'd have thought.

Comment

I don't recall John being aggressively rude here, certainly not in the way that SSS was disgustingly offensive (I accept that those who were not the target of his bile might remember his OTF character differently, and those who met him say he is different in person). John was certain of his convictions and would argue the with little room for compromise, but I don't recall him overstepping lines. But perrhaps because I was not the target of his bile, I might remember his OTF character differently.

Comment

hobbes. Disagree that it's irrelevant. SD and I while criticising him for different but related arsiness on here and elsewhere also suggested he was good company/ worth a listen. Before you weighed in with his illness (or whatever it was, I can't remember) and not suffering fools etc. Apart from being cliched there's an implication of your own, ie your mate is somehow more intelligent than all the many posters he rowed with on here. As you say, it's easy to follow

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Well done for completely changing the context. Very clever.

Actually now I'm confused. Was SD talking about Pricey or Doran? The point stands either way, but my follow up post was about Doran.
                    Pricey, although I mistakenly attached my comments to posts that I now see were about Doran.

I like Price a lot, as above, but I'd say that "expertise" in music is not something that equates to a PhD in a learned subject, which you seem to be implying. There are some bands I know more about than he does so if he makes a factual error on said band, I'll note it.

And Facebook is not "the street." He's choosing to broadcast an opinion or observation in a public medium so is open to challenge.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-06-2019, 14:34.

Comment

Working...
                    X