Rocketman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocketman

So I was dragged along to this by Fräulein Pepys, without much prior knowledge and the expectation of a meat'n'potatoes rock biopic.

But I was really surprised how much I enjoyed this. It's part biopic, part musical and part surrealist fantasy. There's no chronology musically and the songs are chosen randomly to fit the narrative. And its alternating moments of absurdity and poignancy seem really appropriate for a subject like Elton John.

Taron Egerton is terrific though. Actually, pretty much everyone's on top of their game. I really recommend seeing this.

Does it have the part where Elton cheers on murderous racists?

Comment

Which ones?

I don’t know if I like Elton John’s music enough to see this.

Comment

Elton, like fuckin Queen, played Sun City. Fuck 'em. Bad enuf their MOR overproduced shite, without them playing to segregated crowds. And the heinous crimes of Brian May's hair and Elton's 80's nosebag output. Music by cunts, for cunts.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-05-2019, 22:51.

Comment

Maybe they’ve grown-up since then. Or not.

I did see a thing with Elton John where he said he doesn’t own a phone. He doesn’t have to because he always has staff nearby who handle all his communication with the outside world. What kind of life is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            Elton, like fuckin Queen, played Sun City.
            And he plays in Israel.

Comment

Black Sabbath also played in Sun City.

Comment

I read that Kylie did too, but that's unverified.

Anyway, I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Rocketman. Egerton is brilliant, I thought the musical set pieces were well executed and this wasn't a sanitised version of a singer's life like Bohemian Rhapsody.

If you liked Dexter Fletcher's 'Sunshine of Leith', than you'll know what to expect.

Comment

It’s set in the same universe as ‘Bohemian Rhapsody.’

Comment

I see what you did there

Comment

Working...
                    X