X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop Dead Fred(die)

Freddie Starr dead aged 76.

Funniest thing he's ever done.

I thought he was great when I was a kid, but I was about 10 at the time. Something about his wild boundary pushing seemed liberating given how safe the telly was back then. Then around 14 I discovered truly talented people like the Pythons and it became obvious that Freddie was just the licensed clown who was winging it with no material.

Then came AteMyHamstergate and Des O'Connor and he seemed on the way to the asylum. I'm surprised he made it to 76.

Comment

The policeman dad of a friend of mine pulled him over on the M1 for some offence or other. Freddie reacted with his Hitler impression and began goose-stepping up and down the hard shoulder until friend's dad "gave him a slap".

(This was the late-70s BTW).

Comment

Had one good routine - the miming to tapes thing - which for me was always ruined by him making the setup so bloody obvious.

Other than that "Not as much of a cunt as Jim Davidson" doesn't seem like much of an epitaph.

Comment

The bit I mean is that he does the setup about how it is terrible that people mime to tapes and just as he is about to start the song, suddenly shout/whispers "TAPES" as a stage direction. Take that out and it becomes a surprise - even as a kid I was "Oh, now I know what's coming". He performs it brilliantly, but it's a very weird bit of writing.

Comment

Content aside, the feeling of being brow beaten into laughing when watching someone like FS is very off putting. It is comedy as pressure selling. There's a similar aggressive neediness with performers like James Corden and Robbie Williams.

Comment

Or, to give him his possible full name, Michael "Fucking" McIntyre.

Comment

I have to admit that, when I heard he had died, I put him in the same category as Jim Davidson. Then I thought that, aside from the nazi uniform/goose-stepping schtick (and, let's face it, Wayne Hennesey...), I couldn't remember anything overtly suspect about him. Not to say there wasn't but I just can't remember it.

The most offensive thing that happened about his death was Kelvin fucking Mackenzie being interviewed about that headline and proving not only what a cunt he is but a lazy common denominator cunt. If the "my enemy's enemy is my friend" maxim is true, Freddie Starr could be forgiven a lot.

Comment

He was, according to his daughter, "terrible, evil, violent".

Comment

And of course he got off when Yewtree tried to catch up with him.

Baljit Ubhey, the chief crown prosecutor of CPS London, said there was insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction relating to 13 of the complainants and that prosecuting one further allegation would not be in the public interest.

Ubhey said: "Having carefully reviewed this case, we have decided that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute Freddie Starr in relation to allegations of sexual offences made by 13 individuals. Each allegation was considered on its own merits and we have concluded that the available evidence does not offer a realistic prospect of conviction for any of the alleged offences.

"In relation to one further complainant, we have decided that although there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction, according to the code for crown prosecutors, a prosecution would not be in the public interest."

Comment

My gut feeling is that more will come out about that now he's dead, especially in light of the last paragraph.

Comment

He basically fled to Spain after he lost the libel case relating to his assault on a young woman on Savile's Clunk-Click, to which I think the last paragraph referred. She was going after him for the money and it seems he died pretty much broke.

Comment

Hubris of David Irving standards to bring the libel case.

Comment

According to a tabloid today there's no money for a funeral so he's having the Spanish equivalent of a pauper's burial.

He always struck me as being one of those entertainers who was big in the 70s when telly and popular culture was generally shit because people were very easily entertained.

Comment

Ah, thank you for the info. It appears that my first instinct was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                According to a tabloid today there's no money for a funeral so he's having the Spanish equivalent of a pauper's burial.
                                That's a shame. I kind of hoped that the footage of the funeral would see the pallbearers taking the coffin into the church and midway speeding up, then slowing down, then going backwards...

Comment

Sheffield funeral director has stepped up to the plate...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...or-66475%3famp

Comment

My dad used to love Freddie Starr (which should be the giveaway to how awful he was). I distinctly remember as a teenager watching a skit about how knackered and useless Freddie was after sex with his wife, whereas she could get up immediately and go straight back to making cups of tea or dusting the lampshades or whatever. Even as a relatively inexperienced teenager, I remember puzzling over why that was meant to be funny, rather than Freddie Starr just admitting to the world that he was really crap in bed.

Comment

Working...
                                    X