• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Thick Of It: favourite swearing / best lines

Anyone who has seen this show will know what I mean. Things like:

"Stop blinking, or I'll rip out your optic nerve and strangle you with it!"

or my favourite:

"How come I have to find out from a member of the fucking press that every morning at 8.30 I'm being fisted up to the gall-bladder by a bald man?!?!"

Malcolm wording the Express night editor :
    "'Course, if you change your mind and print that, I'll be round to personally eviscerate you. Now, I didn't go to college so I don't really know what that means, but I'll start by tearing your balls off and busk it from there. Okay ?"

Comment

McNulty: "Fuck."
      Bunk: "Fuck."

Comment

"Stop blinking, or I'll rip out your optic nerve and strangle you with it!"
        "How come I have to find out from a member of the fucking press that every morning at 8.30 I'm being fisted up to the gall-bladder by a bald man?!?!"
        "'Course, if you change your mind and print that, I'll be round to personally eviscerate you. Now, I didn't go to college so I don't really know what that means, but I'll start by tearing your balls off and busk it from there. Okay ?"
        All these lines sound really horrible to me.

Comment

Yes, they do sort of lack that British understatement that makes their comedy so popular over here.

Comment

Such hits like "Do Shut Up" and "Shut Your Gob."

Comment

I was thinking of more classic fare, like Last of the Summer Wine and Are You Being Served?

Comment

I was quoting The Simpsons.

Comment

I'm aware of their work.

Comment

Hah! We've gone from quoting a very good comedy series to quoting a very bad one.

Comment

that was muthfucka wasnt it?

Comment

I paraphrased:

Comment

Malcolm Tucker: [preparing Ben for going on TV again] Get him properly fucking screen-tested! I'm sorry, mate, but you need a lot of powder. I've never seen anyone looking so fucking ugly with just one head!

Ben Swain: No, I've lost my... erm... safety...

Malcolm Tucker: Who was it to teach you media training? Myra Hindley? It's terrible! All these hands all over the place! You were like a sweaty octopus trying to unhook a bra! It was like watching John Leslie at work!

Ben Swain: Yes, I know all that. It just, kinda, fell away. It's like one of those dreams when you're wandering around Covent Garden with just a vest and everyone's staring at you.

Jamie: It was much worse than that. I mean, how many people see you at Covent Garden? A few thousands? Your meltdown was witnessed by 1.2 million people! That's more people than saw Al Jolson in his fucking career! And that's Al fucking Jolson!

Malcolm Tucker: He loves Al Jolson.

Jamie: The Guvnor!

Oliver Reeder: Maaameee!

Jamie: You take the piss out of Al Jolson again and I will remove your iPod from its tiny nano-sheath and push it up your cock! Then I'll put some speakers up your arse and put it on shuffle with my fucking fist. And every time I hear something that I don't like, which will be every time that something comes on, I will skip to the next track by crushing your balls!

Comment

he's a fat guy with a dick the size of a bookie's biro

Comment

I started watching this last night, having never seen a second of it before.

I really enjoyed it, though I found myself smirking at most of it rather than full-out laughing. Best bit: the Chris Langham character and his two assistants are sitting in the back of a car on the way to meet a load of journalists to announce a policy which has just been overruled by Malcolm Tucker. So they're trying to think of something new to give to the hacks instead, and Langham says: "What about zoos? I took my kids to the zoo the other day, it was fucking disgusting. What about something about that? . . . No, that's shit, isn't it."

Comment

The Thick Of It employs a special swearing consultant. Armando Iannucci sends the scripts, such as they are, to this guy, who sends them back with extra profanity.

Comment

That's got to be the best job in the world, surely. And he's not just a swearing consultant - he's a swearing consultant for Armando Iannucci.

Comment

He was probably responsible for:

"You don't seem to realise that I'm going to have to mop up a fucking hurricane of piss here because of these neurotics!"

He does his job very well- is "Swearing Consultant" on his CV?

Malcolm Tucker is, hands down, the GREATEST comedy character ever created.

Comment

Not having ever seen the series this stuff just reads as being every bit as laboured and dull as Ben Elton's "as as a on a very day. IN TOWN!"

You know, why bother writing good jokes when you can make people snigger with rude words?

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                        Not having ever seen the series

Comment

You definitely have to watch the series Purves - it's one of the best things that's been on TV in the last few years.

Comment

Yes, the horse, not having seen it. If you're going to call something a great line then it has to stand by itself. Best delivery is another matter entirely.

Comment

I watched another couple of episodes of this last night.

Christ, Peter Capaldi looks really unhealthy in it. I hope it's make-up.

I find myself laughing more at Chris Langham's dialogue than the Malcolm Tucker swearathons.

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                                Yes, the horse, not having seen it. If you're going to call something a great line then it has to stand by itself. Best delivery is another matter entirely.
                                                Well of course it's more than just a script: it's the way certain words are emphasised, interaction between actors, facial expressions and all the other tiny nuances which make it what it is. I can't tell you why Chris Langham just sitting eating a plate of biscuits is funny; it just is. All I would say go and watch an episode. More than once.

Comment

What's this all about, then?

A film from the production team behind The Thick Of It, featuring a few of the actors (seemingly playing the same characters as in the show) along with Steve Coogan and James Gandolfini.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't be very excited about this...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X