Hellboy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hellboy

Got to admit some love for Big Red and the BPRD. The first 2 films were both flawed but I liked them. I've even got the feature length animations (same voice cast).

Not sure about this reboot though. Firstly, Ron Perlman owned the role. Secondly, the trailers were a bit meh.

So has anyone seen it yet? Going to see it? What do people think?

I read a few of the early comics and liked the first two movies and the animated films. But this one got bad reviews and is supposedly unreasonably violent and gorey so I'm not going to bother. I'm really tired of violence for its own sake.

I used to feel an obligation to see every film based on a comic or TV character I once liked even a little, but I don't feel that anymore. I didn't see Aquaman in the theater. Saw it on streaming. It was fine. I guess I'm finally superheroed out.

Comment

The Den of Geek review is pretty brutal, complete with clunky dialogue quotes. I'm going to skip it.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...ails-to-ignite

Comment

I was minded to boycott it anyway on the grounds that Perlman fought hardest to get another film made, and then the producers cast somebody else in the role.

If the new film's shite, it just makes boycotting it all the easier.

Comment

Yeah, I'd have been happy with another Perlman/Doug Jones/Selma Blair effort to be honest.

Comment

Why the fuck wouldn't they cast Pearlman? Never thought much of Neil Marshall's schlock anyways tbh so it won't be hard to miss this.
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 03-05-2019, 00:05.

Comment

They wanted to “reboot” it, for some reason. I think this one was supposed to be closer to Mike Mignola’s original work - though it sounds like it isn’t - whereas The Golden Army was really Guillermo del Toro’s vision. (The first one was pretty close to the early comics) Maybe Mignola pushed for a reboot.
              Or maybe del Toro didn’t really want to do another one given his commitments to other projects. Not sure.

Maybe the first two weren’t successful enough by some accountant’s reckoning and the studio foolishly thought the reboot would do better. If the key players wanted to do a third sequel, it was dumb to not take advantage of that.

Comment

I thought Mignola really approved of the first 2. He might have changed his mind of course.

The recasting is probably a cost issue. Perlman was always going to cost more than an unknown replacement. Given the rumours about studio meddling and an unhappy set, I think corners were cut on a lot of things.

Comment

Mignola liked the first two but didn’t write the second.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    I thought Mignola really approved of the first 2. He might have changed his mind of course.

The recasting is probably a cost issue. Perlman was always going to cost more than an unknown replacement. Given the rumours about studio meddling and an unhappy set, I think corners were cut on a lot of things.
                    Harbour isn’t really unknown. He’s well-known thanks to Stranger Things.

Comment

Working...
                    X