It's exactly the same plot (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's exactly the same plot (SPOILERS)

Towards the end of The Umbrella Academy, I turned to Mrs Thistle and said, "So, Leonard is basically Syndrome then." Because it felt like exactly the same plot as The Incredibles - kid wants to be a superhero, has no super powers, becomes super-resentful, embarks on mission to destroy the superheroes. It works out slightly differently, but that's the basic plot.

Yep. Thought exactly the same when I was watching it.

I enjoyed The Umbrella Academy but, to be honest, there was barely an original idea in it (although, maybe we're being unfair as the comic it's based on is much older?).

Comment

It's not massively different from Othello either in the jealousy breeding vengeance.

How about Avatar being Pocahontas/Fern Gully in space?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
        How about Avatar being Pocahontas/Fern Gully in space?
        South Park thought it was Dances With Smurfs.

Comment

The Field is basically The Quiet Man rewritten as drama.

Comment

There are only six plots.
            http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...ix-basic-plots

Somebody said something about how there is really only one plot, "things are not what they seem." Forget who said that.

All of the Bourne movies have the same plot. Bourne (or whoever that non-Bourne guy Jeremy Renner played) is trying to get his life back and the people who helped turn him into the killing machine that he is are afraid that they'll all go to jail if the world finds out about the program(s) that did that to him. There are other developments - his girlfriend gets killed, then the whole thing with Julia Stiles character, then all that shit about his dad in the last one - but basically that's it, repeated five times.

Still well worth watching. But it wasn't until I watched them all again in a weekend that I realized that the plot repeat more than advances.

Apparently USA Network is making a show called Treadstone set in that same "universe," but without Matt Damon. Eh.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 09-05-2019, 21:38.

Comment

Pirates of the Caribbean spends three films and nearly 10 hours getting from Point A to Point A. Every character ends up almost exactly where they started. (Depp is chasing after the man who stole the Black Pearl, Orloondo Bland is in love with Ikea Knightley but cannot be with her, Barbossa has the Pearl but is looking for something mythical/magical which only Depp can get to etc etc)

Comment

I loved those movies, though.

Yeah, it takes a while to get from A to B because it keeps adding characters and obstacles.

Comment

Ikea Knightley ^. Ha ha. Please tell me that was deliberate and not an autocorrect snafu, Snake.

Comment

Working...
                  X