No announcement yet.

Favourite Film Scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinatown. Jack Nicholson gets his nose trimmed by Roman Polanski.

Comment

The end of Return of the King. Makes me tear up every time.

The part in Almost Famous where Lester Bangs talks about not being cool.

Guys talking behind the Gas n Sip in Say Anything

The final game against Teddy KGB in Rounders

The end of It’s a Wonderful Life

The argument about the Wagon Wheel table in When Harry Met Sally

”There is so much life in you, and so much emotional larceny in all these others” in Singles

The Death Star attack in Star Wars.

The attack on Hoth in Empire Strikes Back

The speeder bikes in Return of the Jedi

The bit in Casablanca where Les Marseilles drowns out the Nazis

Dr Evil explaining his plan for world domination in the first Austin Powers.

Any scene in which an actual James Bond villain explains his plan

The parts of the original Planet of the Apes where Mr NRA dials it up to 11. Which is most of it.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 26-04-2019, 22:58.

Comment

Kelly's Heroes - when Clint, Telly and Donald face down the Tiger.

The minis in The Italian Job.

The train sequence at the end of The Wrong Trousers. (It's a short film IMO)

Luke telling the Emperor he's failed. "I am a Jedi. Like my father before me."

The final songs in The Muppet Movie.

Comment

The Tiny Dancer bit in Almost Famous.
          The bit in When Harry Met Sally where Harry is at the baseball with his mate and they're discussing his break up while a Mexican Wave goes round.
          Any of the fight scenes in Blade
          The Parade Floats in Ferris Bueller's Day off
          The hotel scene and the final denouement of Ghostbusters

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
            The Tiny Dancer bit in Almost Famous.
            The bit in When Harry Met Sally where Harry is at the baseball with his mate and they're discussing his break up while a Mexican Wave goes round.
            Any of the fight scenes in Blade
            The Parade Floats in Ferris Bueller's Day off
            The hotel scene and the final denouement of Ghostbusters
            All good, but in that scene in When a Harry Met Sally, they’re at a NY Giants football game.

https://youtu.be/MQRZuEppgT0

I have a good friend that I’ve been to many games of all kinds with. Whenever there’s a wave, one of us always turns to the other and says “Then she said, ‘I don’t know if I ever loved you.’”

That scene makes me feel old. Not just because I recall seeing the film vividly and it’s 30 years old, but Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal seemed so old to me then, but they were in their early 30s in the film. And you can tell that was a long time ago because so few people in the crowd are wearing a Giants gear. Since the 90s, almost every fan at an NFL game will have some kind of official team merch.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 26-04-2019, 23:12.

Comment

Possibly the most famous cinematic stunt of all time, Buster Keaton from Steamboat Bill Jr

Comment

That is remarkable. I guess insurance wasn’t an issue back then.

Comment

“I’m afraid I can’t do that, Dave” in 2001

The footchase in The French Connection

The footchase in Point Break

Comment

Amor owning this thread.

I've realised I didn't even choose my favourite Cuckoo's Nest scene:

"Mmmm Juicy Fruit": https://youtu.be/-pZYU8OGO6Q

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      That is remarkable. I guess insurance wasn’t an issue back then.
                      Heh! I doubt it. According to Louise Brooks, directors preferred stars doing their own stunts as it looked more "authentic" and also saved time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        Amor owning this thread.

I've realised I didn't even choose my favourite Cuckoo's Nest scene:

"Mmmm Juicy Fruit": https://youtu.be/-pZYU8OGO6Q
                        I still have never seen that.

Comment

“It might have been my mission, but it sure as shit was the Chief's boat.” Apocalypse Now

Comment

"What are you rebelling against Johnny?" Brando in The Wild One

Comment

"Billy Crystal seemed so old to me then, but they were in their early 30s in the film."

i refuse to believe Billy Crystal wasn't thrust upon the world in his mid 40s. How old was he making Princess Bride or fuckin City Shitey Slickers?

Comment

I remember first seeing Billy Crystal in Soap and very good he was too.

Comment

Just about all The Conformist looks delicious.

Comment

O Lucky Man! is bloated and goes on forever, but I'm not sure there's a superfluous frame. McDowell might be the great wasted talent.

the hospital bit is what stuck in my mind but from first viewing on. Whatever eccentric Jock from Waiting for God was up to, it wasn't ethical.
                                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-04-2019, 00:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      "Billy Crystal seemed so old to me then, but they were in their early 30s in the film."

i refuse to believe Billy Crystal wasn't thrust upon the world in his mid 40s. How old was he making Princess Bride or fuckin City Shitey Slickers?
                                      City Slickers is fantastic.

Comment

Tbh I can only really remember the sequel. That seemed shite in my teens.

Comment

The sequel isn’t as good.

For some reason, films about men in midlife crises appealed to me in my teens and 20s. Now that I’m having a real one, I like superhero films.

Comment

I spent a good part of my thirties working through Werner Herzog stuff. Mostly just feels his "ecstatic truth" philosophy was excusing bollocks bad acting plotting and execution or fragrant documentary lies now. The last portion of Rescue Dawn is utterly laughable in a way that almost convinced me it was genius. Though Stroszek and Kasper Hauser are still utterly compelling like prodding a toothache if you can get over the exploitation of Bruno S, and Aguirre if you can live with the dubbing (in either English or German you can't avoid it). The dvd commentaries are usually better than watching the damn films for the rest but (Esp fuckin Fata Morgana).

or maybes my forties/giving up weed have broken me from appreciating "ecstatic truth".
                                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-04-2019, 00:56.

Comment

Yeh, I loved City Slickers. The piece of dialogue that always sticks in my mind was when the three buddies were talking about the best and worst days of their lives.The Bruno Kirby story at the end always gets me:

Comment

That's very well played. Poor fuckin Bruno. He'll always be the Frank obsessive chauffeur to me. Which is a great fuckin scene.

still can't see Crystal as only early 30s there but. He had an air of forties even beyond the hairline.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-04-2019, 00:59.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                  For no special reason, the long tracking shot in Goodfellas that starts at the car in the street and ends in front of the stage where Jimmy Durante is doing his act.
                                                  Probably mine too, although Henry's chaotic last day of freedom runs it close.

Good interview with the steadicam operator

https://tinyurl.com/y6tl9fhg

Among other things, he reveals that Henry's interactions with the club's patrons and staff, which make the scene and build character, were inserted without Scorsese's input for technical reasons so the Steadicam could catch them up. And Henry's point at the stage at the end of the scene was to inform the operator that Henny Youngman (not Durante) had hit his cue and was on stage.

Comment

It is a wonderful scene. Even now every second film stars Leo and/or has Gimme Shelter shoehorned in for no fuckin reason outside Robbie Robertson laziness, Scorsese is capable of bravura technical sequences.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X