• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumme!

Leslie Phillips is 95 today.

Happy birthday, sir.

Ding Dong!

Comment

I always find it quite amusing that, given his accent, he was born in Tottenham to a working class family.

Someone else was born today, though in Braunau am Inn, but he wasn't anything like as charming as Les.

Comment

His first film was in 1938,his last (to date) in 2012,even if he is retired that's still a 74 year career.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
          I always find it quite amusing that, given his accent, he was born in Tottenham to a working class family.
          The amusement value is somewhat undermined by the contraction in social mobility in recent years; I've seen Charles Dance, another patrician sounding actor from a not terribly privileged background, express strong doubts about whether he would be able to pursue the same career today.

Comment

Really. There seem to be plenty of working class actors on the screen. What's less likely these days is that good-looking working class men and woman would take elocution lessons and forge a career playing upper-middle class roles, though Keeley Hawes is bucking the trend.

Comment

Mention of Keeley Hawes reminded me that Line of Duty seems to be one of the last great bastions of working class actors: Hawes, Adrian Dunbar, Vicky McClure, Lennie James, Martin Compston, Stephen Graham - not a public schooler amongst 'em.

Comment

Happy Birthday Leslie. Probably for several years already, the only actor still alive who performed at Pinewood Studios in its first week of opening in 1936.

Comment

Excellent. He can also inherit Brucie's role in the "born before Anne Frank" reality jolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                    I've seen Charles Dance, another patrician sounding actor from a not terribly privileged background, express strong doubts about whether he would be able to pursue the same career today.
                    I was at art college with Charlie Dance, he sounded then just the same as he does now.

Comment

That sounds wanky. What I meant was that accent = class can be a very deceptive binary.

Comment

Working...
                      X