Film References Slipped Into Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film References Slipped Into Others

OK, so there's probably been a thread for this already. Sue me. And there are lots of famous examples out there, only a few of which currently spring to mind, but how about some of the lesser or less obvious ones.

I was watching Die Hard with a Vengeance earlier. There's the scene in the subway station where Samuel L. Jackson has leapt the barriers and yelled at a guy to get off of the public payphone which "Simon" is going to call as part of his lethal game. A cop confronts Jackson and levels his gun at him with trembling hands. The 'phone rings and Jackson says, very slowly and deliberately, that he has to pick it up. This is obviously the inspiration for the scene in The Incredibles where Jackson-voiced Frozone, faced by a nervous gun-wielding cop, says very slowly and deliberately that he has to get a drink of water.

There must be tons of such references. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is from What's Up, Doc? when the Barbara Streisand character says to the Ryan O'Neill one, "Love means never having to say you're sorry," (O'Neill's famous/infamous line from Love Story), and bats her eyelashes furiously, to which O'Neill replies, "That's the dumbest thing I ever heard".

Come on. Some others?
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 13-04-2019, 16:28.

A recent example, the tortuously meta reference to Wayne's World by the Mike Myers character in Bohemian Rhapsody.

Comment

Nice one.

My son pointed out that in Shrek the Third, Queen Lillian (voiced by Julie Andrews), slightly stunned after headbutting a wall down, starts humming the tune to My Favourite Things from The Sound of Music.
      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 13-04-2019, 17:52.

Comment

Prince Akeem giving the bag of money to the Duke brothers from Trading Places in Coming to America

Mel Gibson and Danny Glover doing a doubt take when seeing each other in Maverick

Charlie Sheen and his dad Martin reciting lines from Apocalypse Now and then shouting "I loved you In Wall Street " in Hot Shots.

Comment

Danny and Doris in Fame go to watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Comment

Are we including obviously direct parodies?

Comment

Spaceballs is mostly a Star Wars parody but towards the end John Hurt experiences a chest bursting alien scene, looks down at the critter, and says "Oh God, not again".

In the first X Files movie Mulder pisses on a poster for Independence Day, which was released around about the same time and a real rival for box office success.

In I, Legend, in the futuristic ruined vampire-haunted New York there's a large Batman v Superman poster outside a ruined cinema. This was while BvS was in development hell and long before the Batfleck casting caused outraged howls to resound around the DC comics nerd sites.

There is a huge chunk of the movie Ted that references 80s almost hit Flash Gordon, including a role for the guy who played Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Are we including obviously direct parodies?
                Nah, best not. In jokes really.

Comment

OK, I think I've done this before. Recent Disney films...

In Frozen, Alan Tudyk voices the Duke of Weaselton, who is called as such and corrects the person that "It's Wesselton!"

In the Zootropolis (or Zootopia in other territories) Alan Tudyk voices a small bit crook who is a weasel. Judy Hopps calls him Wesselton and he shouts "It's Weaselton!"

In the same film there are pirate DVDs for sale of Animal-pun Disney films including "Mooana" which was a joke about Moana, the next Disney film slated first release.

Both Moana and Ralph Breaks the Internet had sequences joking about the "Disney Princess" brand.

Pixar films inter-reference each other loads. My favourite one is Randall in Monsters Inc ending up in the grotty trailer above the "Big City" in A Bug's Life. Randall was voiced by Steve Buscemi who threatens another monster with being shoved in wood chipper - a way a Buscemi character dies in another film.

John Ratzenburger (Cliff in Cheers) voices a character in every Pixar movie.

Comment

The Buscemi one is a good call, referencing Fargo. I'll have to listen out for that.

I suppose we can have homages too. Famously, the attack on the Death Star in Star Wars was inspired by the attack on the heavy water plant at the end of 633 Squadron. And the colour-coded criminals in Reservoir Dogs was a nod to The Taking of Pelham 123. (I used to live in a Pelham Road and it had a house number 123. Not a sign of reference to the film. Big chance missed.)

Comment

The Duke Of New York’s sidekick in Escape from New York is called Romero.

In The Fog, three characters are named after guys who worked on Halloween (Nick Castle, Dan O’Bannon and Tommy Wallace).

Comment

In Return of the Jedi, Chewbacca gives a "Tarzan" call as he swings onto the top of a Scoutwalker.

R2D2 and C3P0 are depicted in the hieroglyphs in the wall in the Well of Souls in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

George Lucas turned a Star Wars goof (when a stormtrooper bumped his head on a door) into canon when Jango Fett bumps his head going into his spaceship in Attack of the Clones.

Comment

In Back to the Future part II, Marty McFly screams when he's attacked by a holographic shark advertising Jaws 47. Then he mutters that it still doesn't look real. In part III he calls himself Clint Eastwood when hes in the Old West, and rips off the armour under a poncho thing from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

In the original Westworld, Yul Brynner basically wears the outfit he wore in The Magnificent Seven.
                          Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 14-04-2019, 15:32.

Comment

I suppose a film's title can't really be "slipped in." But anyway "What's Up Doc?" is Bugs Bunny's hook and also the title of at least four films, most famously the Streisand/Ryan O'Neal pic from 1972.

Comment

he calls himself Clint Eastwood when hes in the Old West, and rips off the armour under a poncho thing from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
                              Fistful of Dollars.

Comment

David Duchovny as Hank Moody in Californication, putting on a suit and tie, remarking that he looks "like a fucking FBI agent".
                                Last edited by Belhaven; 15-04-2019, 12:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

Fistful of Dollars.
                                  I knew I should have checked.

In Die Hard, Hans Gruber sneers that John McLane is another child of a bankrupt culture who had grown up on John Wayne movies.

One of the most famous jumping off points for a new intra-movie universe was the inclusion of a Xenomorph "skull" in the Predator's spaceship in Predator 2. This led to the franchise crossovers between Predator and Aliens in the comic books and board games and eventually in various movies.

Back to Pixar, WALL-E has taught himself a dance routine from Hello Dolly during his lonely stint cleaning up Earth.
                                  Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 15-04-2019, 11:50.

Comment

In Short Circuit Johnny 5 rewires the other robots sent to kill him to perform a slapstick routine by the Three Stooges. Not sure if that's from a Stooges TV show, though.

Comment

The titular characters in When Harry Met Sally watch Casablanca at the same time in their own apartments, while talking on the phone.

Comment

The scene in The Martian where the NASA team, featuring Sean Bean, come up with "Project Elrond" to try get Mark Watney home from Mars.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                          The Duke Of New York’s sidekick in Escape from New York is called Romero.

In The Fog, three characters are named after guys who worked on Halloween (Nick Castle, Dan O’Bannon and Tommy Wallace).
                                          itself the name of a pub in clockwork orange, albeit the book and not the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            In Return of the Jedi, Chewbacca gives a "Tarzan" call as he swings onto the top of a Scoutwalker.

R2D2 and C3P0 are depicted in the hieroglyphs in the wall in the Well of Souls in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

George Lucas turned a Star Wars goof (when a stormtrooper bumped his head on a door) into canon when Jango Fett bumps his head going into his spaceship in Attack of the Clones.
                                            In 'ET',the title character tries to follow a kid dressed as Yoda on Halloween, and in 'The Phantom Menace', there are a delegation of ETs in the Galactic Council.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge Gainsbourg View Post

In 'ET',the title character tries to follow a kid dressed as Yoda on Halloween, and in 'The Phantom Menace', there are a delegation of ETs in the Galactic Council.
                                              Not wanting to be *that* nerd but the ETs in the Senate are Dressellians in the Star Wars galaxy. There was a Dressellian in the rebel briefing on the Mon Calamari star cruiser in Return of the Jedi and he even got made into an action figure with the unfortunate action figure name of Prune-face.

But yes, they are ETs.

Comment

Doesn't look much like an E.T. to me...

[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~cIAA...b9T/s-l640.jpg[/img]

Comment

The finale of Godfather 3 contains a reference to Eisenstein's "Odessa Steps Sequence" from "Battleship Potemkin"

Airplane parodies Saturday Night Fever

Comment

Working...
                                                  X