Film References Slipped Into Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    The finale of Godfather 3 contains a reference to Eisenstein's "Odessa Steps Sequence" from "Battleship Potemkin"

As does The Untouchables.

Comment

Populaire, a French film with a heavy references to Vertigo, only not quite as creepy. There are some other refs in there that I haven't quite worked out, may look it up.

Comment

Was that not the Untouchables (Potemkin pram down the steps sequence)?

Comment

Ah, never post before refreshing. I've also blanked out Godfather III.

Comment

The bit where Bond gets the girl on the dhow as they sail down the Nile in The Spy Who Loved Me is soundtracked by the theme to Lawrence of Arabia. Just noticed that, it's on ITV now.

Comment

Clerks

Randal: You know what I just watched?
              Dante: Me pulling a can off some moron's fist?
              Randal: Return of the Jedi.
              Dante: Didn't you hear me? Caitlin is really getting married!
              Randal: Which did you like better? Jedi or The Empire Strikes Back?
              Dante: Empire.
              Randal: Blasphemy.
              Dante: Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father—uh, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets.
              Randal: There was something else going on in Jedi. I ever noticed it till today. They built another Death Star, right?
              Dante: Yeah.
              Randal: Now, the first one was completed and fully operational before the Rebels destroyed it.
              Dante: Luke blew it up, give credit where credit is due.
              Randal: And the second one was still being built when they blew it up.
              Dante: Compliments of Lando Calrissian.
              Randal: Something just never sat right with me that second time around. I could never put my figure on it, but something just wasn't right.
              Dante: And you figured it out?
              Randal: The first Death Star was manned by the Imperial Army. The only people onboard were stormtroppers, dignitaries, —Imperials.
              Dante: Basically.
              Randal: So, when they blew it up, no problem. Evil's punished.
              Dante: And the second time around?
              Randal: The second time around, it wasn't even done being built yet. It was still under construction.
              Dante: So?
              Randal: So, a construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers—
              Dante: And not just Imperials, is that what you're getting at?
              Randal: Exactly. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
              Dante: All right, so they bring in independent contractors. Why are you so upset with its destruction?
              Randal: All those innocent contractors hired to do the job were killed! Casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. All right, look, you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.
              Roofer: Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, but what are you two talking about?
              Randal: The ending of Return of the Jedi.
              Dante: My friend here is trying to convince me that any independent contractors who were working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when it was destroyed by the Rebels.
              Roofer: Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer—. Dunn and Ready Home Improvements—and speaking as a roofer, I can tell you; a roofer's personal politics comes into play heavily when choosing jobs.
              Randal: Oh yeah, like when?
              Roofer: Three weeks ago, I was offered a job up in the hills. Beautiful house, tons of property—a simple reshingling job! They told me if I could finish it in one day, I would double my price. Then I realized whose house it was.
              Randal: Whose house was it?
              Roofer: Dominic Bambino's.
              Randal: "Baby-Face" Bambino, the gangster?
              Roofer: The same! The money was right, but the risk was too high. I knew who he was, and based on that, I turned the job over to a friend of mine. Dante: [to Randal] Based on his personal politics.
              Roofer: Right! And the next week, the Floressi Family puts out a hit on Baby-Face's house! My friend was shot and killed; didn't even finish reshingling!
              Randal: No way.
              Roofer: I'm alive because I knew the risk involved with that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. Any contractor working on that Death Star knew the risk involved; if they got killed, it's their own fault. A roofer listens to this [pointing to his heart], not his wallet.
              Last edited by Bored Of Education; 21-04-2019, 22:22.

Comment

In The Missionary there's a brief reference to Chariots Of Fire.

Comment

Just seen the bit on The OA where Steve gets friendly with a girl at the ‘Alternative School ‘ and she asks if he’s gonna dump pig’s blood on her at the prom (Carrie, in case you’re too young to have seen it)

Comment

Also OA (s2,ep4- track my binge...):

Homer and his tinder date discuss ‘NDEs’ and she says “oh, like you’re in the upside down!”

Comment

Quite a few references in Avengers Endgame including calling a bloated Thor "Lebowski". Loads of time travel movies get mentioned.

Some Empire Strikes Back references:
                      Toy Story 2 - Zurg tells Buzz he is his father
                      Reign of Fire - Christian Bale and another survivor act out Empire Strikes Back from memory to entertain the children of their makeshift colony

Comment

Are we allowed films that reference themselves?

In what might be a unique example (I've really no idea), the 1967 Frank Tashlin film Caprice sees Doris Day on a movie date watching the opening sequence to...Caprice.

Comment

Which reminds me of the bit in the second Al Jolson bio-pic (Jolson Sings Again) where Larry Parks as Al is watching the first one (The Jolson Story) with Larry Parks as Al and saying how good he (Larry Parks) was as Al...

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

As does The Untouchables.
                            And that's parodied by one of the two The Naked Gun sequels.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                              Which reminds me of the bit in the second Al Jolson bio-pic (Jolson Sings Again) where Larry Parks as Al is watching the first one (The Jolson Story) with Larry Parks as Al and saying how good he (Larry Parks) was as Al...
                              Blimey, that really is beyond self-indulgent. And in a bio-pic, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                Clerks
                                Which might explain why Finn said he worked in sanitation in 'The Force Awakens.'

Comment

In 'The Spy Who Dumped Me' Kate McKinnon's character greets the female head of MI6 as 'M' and references Judy Dench.

Comment

Working...
                                  X