After Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Life

I assume this was discussed in the what are you watching thread but that seems to be be spoiler free.

So, spoilers ahead

I started this because it fit a good time schedule: 30 minutes late at night after multiple football games. The unfolding of the story is a bit predictable but the thing I really liked about this is the way that the tragedy in his life led to him meeting a cast of characters that he probably would not meet. It's as if his married life was all encompassing and now he had to look beyond the home. Again, there were a lot of parts that were just too predictable but short episodes and a short season worked for me.
    Last edited by danielmak; 29-03-2019, 05:42.

Maybe put the fact there are spoilers in the title? I stopped reading after the first line but might be good to make it clearer.

Comment

We started it last night and enjoyed it. I got an early laugh out of the scene where the guy in the park tells Gervais to put his dog on a leash.

Lovely dog. That always helps.

Comment

I thought this was going to be about the 2009 Christina Ricci / Liam Neeson film.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          Maybe put the fact there are spoilers in the title? I stopped reading after the first line but might be good to make it clearer.
          I don't know how to change a thread title or if that's possible. In general, I kind of assume that the separate thread titles are going to be filled with spoilers, but I went back and added some more spaces after the spoiler ahead line.

One of the strange things about this show to me is that he doesn't seem to be a super hyper guy but by comparison everyone else barely has a pulse; they're all so mellow. The brother-in-law seems to have some energy but the rest of the office barely has a pulse. But I liked the characters. Even the prostitute barely has any energy.

Comment

Episode 5, rice pudding - in fits of laughter.

It's very dark, but it's very, very funny.

Comment

OK, as per usual I'm watching something years after every one else on OTF. Currently, After Life. And I really don't know what to make of it. There's a lot that I really don't like about it, a lot, but nevertheless I've watched the first two series and will probably watch the third.

OTOH, leaving aside the fact that it's a (black) comedy, it's a pretty touching examination of the trauma of grief and spousal loss, even though Gervais and most of the the rest of the cast aren't very good actors. And the cemetery scenes with Anne are lovely, but that's mainly down to the wonderful Penelope Wilton. There's even the occasional funny moment.

OTOH, we have Gervais endlessly moping about, endless swearing, an endless parade of grotesques, pisspoor acting and, as in previous televisual outings, Gervais & Jensen's characters once again struggling through an unnecessarily complicated relationship. But more that this there are the odd characters that provide nothing to the narrative and seem to do little more than fill in some screen time, particularly Brian Gittins and the unnamed psychiatrist, who has to be one of the oddest, most pointless and unpleasant characters in sitcom history. Can someone please explain the point of the character! In the first series he just seemed incompetent but in the second he, well, I don't really know how to describe it, but whatever it was it was incredibly unrealistic.

Answers, please.

Comment

We really enjoyed it, but North Americans don't have the same deep loathing of Gervais that y'all seem to. I thought it was very funny and very touching, and I'm not sure there really had to be a point to the unnamed psychiatrist, in the sense that any character does / doesn't have a point in advancing the story.

Anyway, if you're like me, good luck in the final 10 minutes. I was a mess.

Comment

One-dimensional and unrealistic characters, misogynistic and nasty in the extreme, liberal use of the 'c' word as a poor means of getting a laugh, repetition of usual Gervais tropes. Shite.

Mrs. VT loved it.

Comment

Working...
                  X