Oh Captain, Marv Captain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Captain, Marv Captain!

So I just watched Captain Marvel at the cinema.
    Holy shit, now that's how you do a Superhero movie. None of this dogshit Captain America rubbish.
    Brie Larson is fantastic in it. Real warmth and humour in the role, real charisma and she (and Samuel L to be fair) seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. The supporting cast were decent and while the usual worthy messaging is there, it's handled really nicely, never slipping into triteness.
    As far as Marvel stuff goes, it's straight into the top 3 with Iron Man 1 and Thor Ragnarok.

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    None of this dogshit Captain America rubbish.
    There's a phrase for this sort of stuff.

Comment

Bang on?
      Seriously, Cap is a whiny teenager who takes himself far too seriously. Him and stupid bow and arrow man are terrible, but at least they never made a film about the stupid bow and arrow man.

Comment

That Renner fuck is unbearable in everything. Has a Republican face somehow as well.

Comment

Without spoilers is this one a must see prerequisite before End Game or whatever it's going to be called?

Comment

No idea. Haven't seen Endgame.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
              Bang on?
              Seriously, Cap is a whiny teenager who takes himself far too seriously. Him and stupid bow and arrow man are terrible, but at least they never made a film about the stupid bow and arrow man.
              Just when you think he has nothing left to give, he raises the bar.

Comment

I enjoyed it. Not as much as Captain America, obviously, but a solid 7/10. I was hoping for a "Skrulls living as cows" moment, but never mind.

Comment

Oh man, you're seriously telling me that you like the Cap films better than that?
                  There's no hope for you.

Comment

You just prefer Captain Marvel because SJW something something feminist Brie Larson is wooden.

Anyway, Captain America is likely to be dead by the end of Avengers: Endgame (it's him or Iron Man sacrificing their life to reboot the MCU), so you won't have to put up with him much longer.

Comment

I thought this was excellent. Up with the Guardians films for me.

Given that Captain Marvel will be in Avengers Endgame, I think watching the film is advisable.

Comment

It's really good. Brie Larson is fantastic, Samuel Jackson dialling it down for once works really well and there is the interplay between the characters of a far more personal movie than most superhero blockbusters (unsurprising given the background of the directors). Ben Mendelson can do no wrong, as ever.

Anyone who likes superhero movies not already very excited about Endgame, with or without Larson, needs a word with themselves though,
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-03-2019, 23:57.

Comment

As Reg points out it has a decent soundtrack too. The only quibble I have is that movies that use music to determine a particular era tend to have a very restrictive play list. Bumblebee did this too. It was set in the 80s so all its musical choices were mid-80s.

I'm not complaining about hearing Only Happy When it Rains through the cinema sound system. But it didn't seem likely to be playing in a run down bar in a tiny desert town the year it came out.

Mild spoiler: I really liked the montage of scenes where as a kid she picked herself up from every setback.

Comment

Yeah it was bloody good, that fillum. Well done everyone.

Comment

I'm not excited about Endgame, mind.

Comment

Incidentally, I rewatched Infinity War recently and it's not quite as terrible as I thought on first watch. It's still a complete mess that needed a decent editor and some substantial rewrites, but it was more fun on second viewing. Perhaps because my expectations were zero.

Comment

Maybe I should do that.

Comment

Working...
                                  X