No announcement yet.

Celebrity deaths you really can't be arsed about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know none of us have any idea who Andre Rison is? I’ve just googled and now I’m pretty sure I’m not alone.

I, like WOM, might have half-guessed at Beyoncé being on Waterfalls although instinctively I knew that couldn’t be right.

Comment

It’s not so important who he is except that he had a house that burned down after she tried to burn his sneakers in the bathtub.

Comment

Yep, 'accidental' is doing a bit of work here.

I think I was probably more aware of TLC's output given that they hit at a time when I still had a vague interest in the Top 40 here: Destiny's Child were just some group that my then-girlfriend's daughter liked. (I'll concede that Bootylicious was a bit of a stonker, though.)

Both acts were massive, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          Crazysexycool was one of the best albums of the 90s, in my opinion. But such a long time ago, i don't know what she's doing on that list.
          I looked up rappers who died young recently (because I knew there were loads I didn't recognise but I couldn't remember all their names). My cut-off points were post-2000 and younger than 30. Lisa just snuck in as she died in 2002 age 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            Genuinely surprised. Waterfalls, No Scrubs, Unpretty were all over the radio back in t’ day.

I wouldn’t say that I was much of a TLC fan either, but surely everyone at least knows ‘of’ those?
            Fair point, I remember all those. RnB etc. wasn’t my bag but I always quite liked theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Fair point, I remember all those. RnB etc. wasn’t my bag but I always quite liked theirs.
              They had nice bags?

Comment

Is nobody not arsed about "Fawlty Towers actor" Nicky Henson, 74?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                  Is nobody not arsed about "Fawlty Towers actor" Nicky Henson, 74?
                  Who did he play?

Comment

The bloke who smuggles a girl into his room and Basil calls a monkey. Although a picture of the actor now (not literally now, he's dead) looks a lot more like the chef.

Comment

A fairly minor part in one episode. It's not much to be remembered for...

Comment

Formerly married to Una Stubbs.

Comment

He was in a good number of other films/TV series.

(And it was 'ape' rather than 'monkey' I think, no?)

Comment

Yeah, if you mean Nicky "Psychomania" Henson, I'd say that's worthy of note.

He was one of those figures who had an up and down career, worked with a lot of interesting people, had a big stack of anecdotes to prove it and didn't seem to take himself excessively seriously.

Comment

Tony Britton, 95, decent knock. One of those people who have always seemed old for as long as I've been aware of them.

Comment

Christopher "In Loving Memory" Beeny

Comment

First Coronavirus victim for the thread: Eddie Large

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimmy__cricket/status/1245663976475820032/photo/2[/URL]
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 02-04-2020, 11:10.

Comment

I loved Little and Large as a kid and I don't care who knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      It all seems pretty naff now, but back when I was a kid Little and Large was must watch stuff for me and my mates.

Less than a month ago he was on Twitter giving BDG kusos for putting him in his cartoon.

https://twitter.com/eddie6large/status/1234824927058038784?s=19

Comment

And here he is on the bench at Maine Road.

Comment

I always loved watching them as a kid too, sad news especially given the circumstances. I saw him in BDG's cartoon recently but had forgotten that until now – lovely to see that Eddie appreciated his appearance.

What on earth is the context for the photo from Maine Road though Sean?

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                            What on earth is the context for the photo from Maine Road though Sean?
                                            The photographer who took it posted it on Twitter. It's not a one off either, John Bond also used to let him sit on the bench as well.
                                            Eddie Large was prime time Saturday viewing at the time and back then being a celebrity fan wasn't really a thing like it is now, and wasn't just for added cool like it was for the bloody Gallagher brothers.

Going back to sitting on the bench, it appears he got even more involved according to Paul Lake.
                                            https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/b...h-home-198889/

Comment

Puts it into perspective for that Fountains Of Wayne guy that, for a day, he was the most famous person to die from Coronavirus and then Eddie Large kicks the bucket and overshadows him

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                The photographer who took it posted it on Twitter. It's not a one off either, John Bond also used to let him sit on the bench as well.
                                                Eddie Large was prime time Saturday viewing at the time and back then being a celebrity fan wasn't really a thing like it is now, and wasn't just for added cool like it was for the bloody Gallagher brothers.

Going back to sitting on the bench, it appears he got even more involved according to Paul Lake.
                                                https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/b...h-home-198889/
                                                That's genuinely amazing. I had no idea things like that used to happen in upper-level English football, even in the less global-high-stakes world of 1989 Man City. Brilliant. Thanks Sean!

Comment

Yeah good Large trivia.

Comment

Little & Large were on Pointless Celebrities not so long ago. They were a reassuring presence to recall safer times, and a reminder of the shortcomings of British comedy. Really, British people who say Germans have no sense of humour would do well to inspect the quality of British humour by reference not to, say, Monty Python, but to Little & Large and their ilk. I'm not suggesting that German humour is superior -- their satire is, though -- but that British superiority complexes in the domain of comedy are misplaced.

Having said that, Little & Large would probably have been megastars had they bothered to learn a little Deutsch and perform on the TV show circuit there. Rod Hill and the Emu were very popular there in the 1970s. Germans love shit comedy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X