No announcement yet.

Celebrity deaths you really can't be arsed about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no way on God's earth that "Nipsey Hussle" is not an entry in the Profanisaurus.

Comment

I'm absolutely certain that was one of the vulgar phrases which featured in the British Library segment of last week's This Time With Alan Partridge.

Comment

Brits under the age of 60 mightn't know this, but Nipsey Russell was a fairly popular black comedian in the US in the '60s/'70s. I'm 99% certain it's just a play on that.

Comment

Hmmm, Nipsey had three volumes of an album he titled Bullets Ain't Got No Name..

On the title track, our late friend observes:

Why you niggas outside without no gun
          You think this shit is a game?
          But no, no, not at all
          I'll hop out gunnin' and show you niggas I ain't playin'
          Pull the trigger, shoot that nigga
          Make sure that you get him
          Cause bullets ain't got no names

Comment

I don't think that featured on the album that was Grammy-nominated - and I've not heard said collection, so no idea if it's any good - but it might help a little in the 'keeping people alive'-stakes if the powers that be stopped bigging this sh*t up.

There's plenty of great non-firearms-obsessed rap out there.

Comment

Sandy Ratcliff has died. She was in Eastenders and left in 89.

Comment

Her death is a reminder that Eastenders had some real edge when it started.

Comment

Yep, her name was certainly familiar to me and I haven't watched Eastenders since about 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Her death is a reminder that Eastenders had some real edge when it started.
                    The story lines she and her on screen husband were involved in were very bleak. Her post screen life seems to have been similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Yep, her name was certainly familiar to me and I haven't watched Eastenders since about 1990.
                      1990 seems to be a cut-off for soap watching among a certain (OTF?) demographic, including me. There are probably a dozen or so Eastenders names I'd recognize if I saw them, and all with a memory of a face and probably the voice, but not after Phil Mitchell became a player. Power of the Sunday repeats probably. Neighbours would be half a dozen, Corrie only up to around 1983. Brookside maybe 1982-86 then intermittently (I stopped totally with Sheila Grant's exit).

Comment

Never liked Eastenders and stopped when my Mam died in 1991,continued with Corrie for a few more years but gradually got fed up with that as well but as soon as I saw the obituary I knew who she was.

Comment

I finally jacked in Coronation Street last year - after four decades (count 'em).

1978-2018 is a ridiculously long innings, but it seemed an apt time to kick it into touch.

(Nicely-conflated metaphors, there.)

Comment

Guitarist from Northside.

Comment

Peter Fonda. Sad for his family.

Comment

Bass player from Canned Heat.

Comment

Gordon Brand Junior the golfer.

Comment

The Karate Kid

Comment

Ralph Maccio didn’t die. It was the guy who screamed “PUT ‘EM IN A BODYBAG, JOHNNY!!!”

Comment

Ralph Macchio showed up in another episode of The Deuce last week. Hard the hardest time placing him.

Comment

Woman out of Roxette.

Comment

No way.

Comment

V surprised she was as old as 61 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                                Woman out of Roxette.
                                                That's a bummer.

Also recent deaths that I can be arsed about - Caroll Spinney, the guy who did Big Bird on Sesame Street, died at 85 after a long illness.
                                                https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/08/o...nney-dead.html

And former Fed Chair Paul Volker died. But he was a bit older and I honestly care a lot less about him than Big Bird.

Comment

Central bankers should not be stars.

Incredibly gifted puppeteers should be.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Carroll Spinney had a much bigger impact on my life than Paul Volker (or Roxette) did.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X