Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to whom?

Comment

The headline above Wingco's piece for The Guardian features the 'i' word, which obviously has suffered from overuse over the years.

The article itself is an informative, fair minded and warm assessment of MD's place in pop cultural and broadcasting history.

Comment

I liked her and was a big fan of Def II and Rough Guide back in the day. She always came across as cool and incredibly smart.

Rough Guide actually features a little bit in mine and Mrs P's relationship. Very early in our going out, we were talking about travel (which is her addiction) and music. So the conversation at some point turned to Rough Guide and I mentioned I loved the theme music on it by a band called Big Pig. The next day the eventual Mrs P came around with a copy of the Big Pig album "Bonk", which she had previously sourced from an Aussie friend because she had loved the theme so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          According to whom?
          According to Sankha Guha. Who is presumably still alive.

Comment

Magenta was a cool, clever, and by all accounts nice, woman. I didn't know her, but of course had mutuals. Wouldn't describe her as an icon. I'm sorry that she's died early. I liked her presenting style.

Comment

I drove her once and, while waiting for her to answer the door of her house, noticed that she had two recycling bins - one with an empty vodka bottle in, one with several empty Coke cans in. While she was getting ready, she asked me if I wanted a drink to which I said that I would. "Vodka and Coke?" she asked. Seemed very pleasant for the hour or two I was in her company.

Comment

She was offering vodka to somebody about to drive her?

Comment

Yes. I declined obviously.

Comment

Was that back in the day where two pints was seen as a fine amount to drive on?

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      Sometimes the death of a celebrity is mourned because it represents a passing of an era. So when session guitarist Joe Osborn died last year, I was saddened by the passing of another great member of the Wrecking Crew (Hal Blaine's death will be the big one in that regard, I suppose).
                      And the big one came sooner than I had thought.

Comment

Similarly it will be the end of an era when Boris Johnson dies. (well, it's worth a try.)

Comment

Ha!

Hal Blaine seems to satisfy the definition of this thread. Played on more huge hits than you can fit on an iPad, and the tumbleweed makes more noise...

Comment

In my case, Hal Blaine is more like "Celebrity Lives that you didn't know about". How can someone have played on all those records and not be more famous?

Comment

First became aware of the great man from a late 90s Radio 1 post chart show doc on Smile! The outtakes alone on Good Vibrations should earn him immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                In my case, Hal Blaine is more like "Celebrity Lives that you didn't know about". How can someone have played on all those records and not be more famous?
                                The while Wrecking Crew story is fascinating. There is a superb documentary on them.

Comment

Actor Pat Laffan died today, who? Well for a generation of Irish people he was Georgie Burgess in the film version of Roddy Doyle's The Snapper and to a generation of English people he was milkman Pat Mustard in Fr Ted.

Comment

March 8th - Jan-Michael Vincent. (Is this becoming a "lesser known celebrity death thread"?)

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                      Actor Pat Laffan died today, who? Well for a generation of Irish people he was Georgie Burgess in the film version of Roddy Doyle's The Snapper and to a generation of English people he was milkman Pat Mustard in Fr Ted.
                                      Died Laffan?

(Sorry, a bit soon. RIP.)

Comment

The police knocked on my door late on Wednesday night, looking for Lottie Tomlinson, who used to be my neighbour. Annoying, as it made me jump and I broke my wine glass.

I found out why today - her younger sister Fiz died of a heart attack, aged 18. Both girls are/were models and 'social media influencers'; their brother is in One Direction. OD are one of the most successful bands of all time, apparently. Anyway, I'm a bit sorry about this as she seemed quite sweet and was obviously, way too young to be having a heart attack.

Comment

Very rare as well, I remember being told during first aid class that pre menopausal women almost never get heart attacks.

Comment

I'd never heard of the chap off Love Island who's death was announced at the weekend, but 26 is very young.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              I'd never heard of the chap off Love Island who's death was announced at the weekend, but 26 is very young.
                                              Me neither. An apparent suicide which is worrying.

Comment

Two Love Island contestant suicides in 9 months. I'd forgotten about the other one until I read it about it today.

Comment

The first report said his body was found in woodland which I interpreted to mean suicide.

Comment

I've never heard of this rapper, Nipsey Hussle. Hard to care if you've not heard the name before let alone any of the music (which all sounds the same to me anyway, being an old white fart).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X