Vice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vice

Brilliant acting, some very funny, semi-surreal interludes. Dragged a bit, though - perhaps because the history's too recent and all still firmly and painfully in my head. Lynne Cheney is more terrifying than her husband. Would recommend if only to see Steve Carrell play Donald Rumsfeld.

I thought the first half was excellent, giving us the Cheney backstory and all the stuff we didn't know or were only half aware of. I liked the way Adam McKay used the same techniques as The Big Short. But it really dragged on, as you say. Anything after he meets George W seems to be done in a ridiculously heavy handed manner, hammering home the bad stuff we all already knew. Yet, somehow, making light of it and not taking it seriously. A bunch of stuff in the second half feels like someone told McKay that he had to include it because it's what people remember about Cheney, rather than actually being important - particularly the hunting incident which seems to be completely un-anchored from anything else.

I'm unsure on the acting. Carrell and Amy Adams were good, but Bale felt like some average mimicry with good prosthetics (like Gary Oldman as Churchill last year), and Sam Rockwell was just a bad parody of Bush's dumbness.

Comment

Working...
    X