No announcement yet.

This Time with Alan Partridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still find myself checking my phone more than I really should be, however, the interview with the guy at the start had me in complete hysterics.

Comment

Upon repetition, the sidekick-can't-work-his-touchscreen and roving-reporter-disagrees-with-everything-he-says set pieces were both longer than they were funny.

Comment

Yeah, patchy last night. Two filmed segments is too much and the sections with Simon & the OB reporter didn't work again. Still quite a few bits that made me snort with laughter but not up to the opening two episodes very high quality.

Comment

Rather predictably, this is my cue to say that I quite enjoyed last night's edition - getting AP out of the studio works well. It's none of it guffaws-ville for me, though.

(Was also chatting to erstwhile writer Mr Baynham, who admitted that he felt similar about the first couple'a shows.)

Comment

Tonight's was possibly the best of the series.

Comment

Some bits didn't work but those that did had the most laughs of the whole series, the finale especially had me absolutely howling.

Comment

I must find a way of watching this but have no idea how.

Comment

The delay gag was absolutely amazing, but apart from that, I didn't really find this one particularly great.

Comment

Oh, I thought it was back up in quality with the first two. Yes, the delay segment was very good but I loved Alan's discomfort at meeting his Irish farmer lookalike.

Comment

Last night's was pretty amusing, I have to say. It's growing on me.

Comment

I''ve seen my first clip of the series, and the Irish farmer doing the ballads is just beautiful. Coogan's Mayo Accent is every bit as good as you'd expect. The Switch in the songs is pure genius. I think they could have carried on with the second verse of the second song, rather than going into the third song.

Comment

The "Come out ye Black and Tans" moment is my favourite Partridge skit since Christ's Chin won that horse race. The whole sketch is amazing

Comment

Glad I didn't spoiler it for you on Facebook, E10. I've lost count of how many times I've gone back to rewatch it in the last couple of days. Worryingly, I now have COYB&T going round my head an on almost permanent loop.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-03-2019, 00:09.

Comment

There's something I didn't realize about COYB&T's until I took a look at the lyrics, it's not really about the IRA or the Black and tans at all. It's a really sad story about the narrator's alcoholic father standing in the middle of a street of Dublin Tenements, screaming abuse at his neighbours and demanding to fight any Black And Tan who had taken up residence in the ruins of the Free State, among the very poorest people in these islands. It's a pretty good representation of the first 50 years of this state tbh.

Comment

I looked at the full lyrics for the first time too. Interestingly, wikipedia's take on them is that they aren't even necessarily meant to be as literal as that, "Black & Tans" being used as a pejorative for any member of the Dublin Protestant working class.

Comment

During the Iraq war and other lopsided misadventures, I often found myself in mind of the second verse, "Oh come tell us how you slew, them bold Arabs two by two … etc"

Comment

Yes well no-one is saying that the street singer doesn't have a shrewd and accurately scabrous clear vision of the true nature of empire, but the problem is that he's not speaking truth to power, he's standing in the middle of the street at 2 in the morning, barely able to stand and shouting it at his neighbours. That's basically us before we joined the EU.

Comment

That's us as we leave it.

Comment

without the shrewd understanding of the nature of empire or the messy nature of English history.

Comment

oh God, that was funny.

Comment

Has everyone seen this? :

“Oh, Brady Family Ham, well it is your only man. Cured for three full days and there’s no added wa-aa-ter. Sure, it’s cooked from one pork joint, unlike others – that’s the point! It tastes just like the ham baked by your mo-oo-ther. Come out you other hams, come and face me, ham to ham...”
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-03-2019, 13:01.

Comment

Been working away and just caught up with Partridge's new series. Agree that episode 3 was a bit weaker than the others, but it was still of a very high standard. This has been an exceptional series so far, sitting alongside KMKYWAP very comfortably. Loved the "Aha" line at the beginning in the OB with the dog ladies and some of the little asides have been wonderful. The doll was hilarious and the look-a-like ending brilliant.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/wolfetones/status/1109200825296003074?s=21[/URL]

Comment

No views on last night's show?

Comment

Not watched it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X