This Time with Alan Partridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Time with Alan Partridge

I had high expectations being a Partridge/Coogan obsessive but really enjoyed it. I started really laughing from the documentary maker's name and then pretty consistently from there on in. It's a bizarre format but the hybrid of 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' and 'I'm Alan Partridge' settings really work.

I'm not sure Tim Key's Simon character made a successful transition from Mid Morning Matters and the movie but Susannah Fielding's Jenny Gresham is a great foil for Partridge.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-02-2019, 22:48.

Seconded. The oil spill running joke was wonderfully executed too.

Comment

I thought it was very good.

Comment

I missed the first 10 minutes, and have never really got into Alan Partridge, but what I saw I found funny. The washing hands sketch was fantastic.

Comment

The Clunt/Fluck gag was brilliant. It probably won't better that all series.

Comment

Recycled from apocryphal tale about Diana Dors (born Diana Fluck) but none the worse for that

Diana was Britain’s answer in her 1950s heyday to Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield. And like the former Norma Jeane Baker and Vera Jayne Palmer, she had changed her name before making her bid for stardom. It is easy to see why she decided to do this, because she was born and brought up as Diana Fluck.

The vicar at the church fete was reminded of this before he mounted the podium to welcome the celebrity.

Thus it was that he was able to tell his audience: “Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you our star guest. We all love her, especially as she is our local girl. I therefore feel it right to introduce her by her real name.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the very lovely Miss Diana Clunt.”

Comment

Haha! That's brilliant!

Comment

Just watched it. Thought it was excellent. When he heard the baby seal cry, "I had an overwhelming sense of Gary Numan!"

Comment

Yes, episode #1 was very good.

If it weren't for the current writing team, I think the Alan Partridge calendar character would have fizzled out years ago. I'm impressed they can still find fresh things to do with him.
                  Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 04-03-2019, 13:46.

Comment

I enjoyed it. I had to watch it again on iplayer the next day as there was so many gags, and so many brilliant facial expressions from Alan to keep up with. Loved the homage to I'm Alan Partridge with the 'Partridge, you wanker!' street heckle.

Comment

Jenny's wide-eyed gulp at the end of the "Alan, I'm a married woman, I'll have you know!" - "I was told you were separated" piece of banter was priceless.

Comment

Initially I thought tonight's episode was going to struggle to match the opener but the building frenzy of it all with a rapidly escalating gag rate probably had me laughing even more than last week overall. It will need a swift second viewing to go through anything I might have missed.

I loved the the twitter feed illustrating the inanity of social media tributes to celebrities (especially on a day when if's been rife due to deaths of Flint and Perry) and how it all tipped in to #metoo revelations by the end. Simon Farnaby was note perfect and fantastic as ever.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-03-2019, 12:19.

Comment

Think that was better than episode 1. The person falling off the back row was laugh out loud funny. As was "I've got kids" in the battle recreation bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            Initially I thought tonight's episode was going to struggle to match the opener but the building frenzy of it all with a rapidly escalating gag rate probably had me laughing even more than last week overall. It will need a swift second viewing to go through anything I might have missed.

I loved the the twitter feed illustrating the inanity of social media tributes to celebrities (especially on a day when if's been rife due to deaths of Flint and Perry) and how it all tipped in to #metoo revelations by the end. Simon Farnaby was not perfect and fantastic as ever.
                            I noticed 'be mist' in the corner of the screen for one of them, backing up Alan's claim that some were for thick people "but no less sincere for that".

Comment

Finally watched both new episodes yesterday. While I think a lot of the online criticism is way, way over the top, I have to concede that I'm going to struggle with an entire series like this: compared with the earlier series, it's so one-note and lacking in nuance.

Sure, there are one or two amusing lines and set-pieces (eg, the battle sequence) in this, but it doesn't have enough places to go, IMO. Sticking Partridge in a sitcom after the original KMKY series made complete sense, since it allowed one to gain some insight into 'why' he was so inept as a broadcaster. Just having him repeatedly foul up on air seems a tad lacking in ambition.

To allow a character to breathe properly, there have to be odd occasions where he 'gets it right'. Gervais did similar when returning with David Brent - and it wasn't nearly as funny as the initial creation.

(And, as suggested upthread, that 'Clunt'/'Fluck' gag really is as old as the hills.)

Comment

Didn't Partridge "get it right" at the end of last night's show? Gervais had Brent do so at both the end of the Office's TV run and in the movie too.

Comment

Well, compared to the others, perhaps. But it was mainly him being smug because the person everyone thought was better than him was being torn down.

Comment

In the movie, the other band members just felt sorry for Brent - which isn't really the same thing.

Comment

I understand some of the wariness about where this series is going to go, but both episodes have had bits that have had me howling. Was absolutely done in last night by the "bring them off in the streets"/"bring them in off the streets" bit. The ending was top as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                        Well, compared to the others, perhaps. But it was mainly him being smug because the person everyone thought was better than him was being torn down.
                                        "I know you Christmassed with him, which was a verb I'd never heard before" is very much getting it right for me.

Comment

The sky show and film had their moments (Roachford and fog lights) but ultimately wore me down (especially the film making him a hero). I'm Alan Partridge remains the pinnacle for me, so I'm very wary of watching this.

Comment

Holy fuck I missed Gervais bringing Brent back in a film thank fuck. The Office Christmas special was more than enough bullshit for me.

Comment

Tonight wasn't quite as strong as last week's belter, but the chat with the fella from Sunderland had me laughing so hard that I lost my breath, and I was still in paroxyms 10 minutes later. I haven't laughed at something on screen like that since, I think, Young Frankenstein's 'Putting on the Ritz'.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                                Tonight wasn't quite as strong as last week's belter, but the chat with the fella from Sunderland had me laughing so hard that I lost my breath, and I was still in paroxyms 10 minutes later. I haven't laughed at something on screen like that since, I think, Young Frankenstein's 'Putting on the Ritz'.
                                                Agree, thought that was a late winner in what was starting to look like a middling episode.

Comment

Big drop off in quality this week, I thought, and that weird thing that they did to AP's face when he was shown as a schoolboy is going to give me nightmares!.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X