Oscars 2019 thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscars 2019 thread.

Rather than being hidden away in other films' threads, all speculation here.

Here are the runners and riders. I am the wrong person to start this thread as I have seen only a few of the films nominated but, having seen Roma, I am fairly confident that I have seen, in Roma, the winner of some of - if not all - Best Picture, Best Actress, Best director, Best Screenplay, Best foreign film, best Cinematography. For while, I thought that Bohemian Rhapsody was a good call for Best Film as I enjoyed it a lot - even with the chronological liberties and accompanying required suspension of disbelief. However, Roma, at least, knock it off. I think that Rami Malek did an excellent job as Mercury but, from what I have heard, Bale and Mortenson should be battling it out. Best picture

• BlacKkKlansman
    • Black Panther
    • Bohemian Rhapsody
    • The Favourite
    • Green Book
    • Roma
    • A Star Is Born
    • Vice
    Best actor

• Christian Bale - Vice
    • Bradley Cooper - A Star Is Born
    • Willem Dafoe - At Eternity's Gate
    • Rami Malek - Bohemian Rhapsody
    • Viggo Mortensen - Green Book
    Best actress

• Yalitza Aparicio - Roma
    • Glenn Close - The Wife
    • Olivia Colman - The Favourite
    • Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born
    • Melissa McCarthy - Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    Best supporting actor

• Mahershala Ali - Green Book
    • Adam Driver - BlacKkKlansman
    • Sam Elliott - A Star Is Born
    • Richard E Grant - Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    • Sam Rockwell - Vice
    Best supporting actress

• Amy Adams - Vice
    • Marina de Tavira - Roma
    • Regina King - If Beale Street Could Talk
    • Emma Stone - The Favourite
    • Rachel Weisz - The Favourite
    Best director

• Alfonso Cuaron - Roma
    • Yorgos Lanthimos - The Favourite
    • Spike Lee - BlacKkKlansman
    • Adam McKay - Vice
    • Pawel Pawlikowski - Cold War
    Best adapted screenplay

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    • BlacKkKlansman
    • Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    • If Beale Street Could Talk
    • A Star Is Born
    Best original screenplay

• The Favourite
    • First Reformed
    • Green Book
    • Roma
    • Vice
    Best foreign language film

• Capernaum - Lebanon
    • Cold War - Poland
    • Never Look Away - Germany
    • Roma - Mexico
    • Shoplifters - Japan
    Best original song

• All The Stars - Black Panther
    • I'll Fight - RGB
    • The Place Where Lost Things Go - Mary Poppins Returns
    • Shallow - A Star Is Born
    • When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Best original score

• BlacKkKlansman - Terence Blanchard
    • Black Panther - Ludwig Goransson
    • If Beale Street Could Talk - Nicholas Britell
    • Isle of Dogs - Alexandre Desplat
    • Mary Poppins Returns - Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman
    Best animated feature

• Incredibles 2
    • Isle of Dogs
    • Mirai
    • Ralph Breaks the Internet
    • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    Best documentary feature

• Free Solo
    • Hale County This Morning, This Evening
    • Minding the Gap
    • Of Fathers and Sons
    • RBG
    Best cinematography

• Cold War
    • The Favourite
    • Never Look Away
    • Roma
    • A Star Is Born
    Best costume design

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Mary Zophres
    • Black Panther - Ruth E Carter
    • The Favourite - Sandy Powell
    • Mary Poppins Returns - Sandy Powell
    • Mary Queen of Scots - Alexandra Byrne
    Best make-up and hairstyling

• Border
    • Mary Queen of Scots
    • Vice
    Best production design

• Black Panther
    • The Favourite
    • First Man
    • Mary Poppins Returns
    • Roma
    Best visual effects

• Avengers: Infinity War
    • Christopher Robin
    • First Man
    • Ready Player One
    • Solo: A Star Wars Story
    Best film editing

• BlacKkKlansman
    • Bohemian Rhapsody
    • The Favourite
    • Green Book
    • Vice
    Best sound editing

• Black Panther
    • Bohemian Rhapsody
    • First Man
    • A Quiet Place
    • Roma
    Best sound mixing

• Black Panther
    • Bohemian Rhapsody
    • First Man
    • Roma
    • A Star Is Born
    Best animated short

• Animal Behaviour
    • Bao
    • Late Afternoon
    • One Small Step
    • Weekends
    Best live action short

• Detainment
    • Fauve
    • Marguerite
    • Mother
    • Skin
    Best documentary short

• Black Sheep
    • End Game
    • Lifeboat
    • A Night at the Garden
    • Period. End of Sentence.

A quick line about each of the best picture nominees. They're all flawed.

BlackKklansman - there's a really good 1hr45 film trying to get out of this 2hr15 film. If Spike Lee had a decent editor, and someone who told him there was no reason for the ridiculous heavy-handed Charlottesville stuff at the end, it might have been my favourite

The Favourite - Perfectly entertaining, and well made. But it felt like it really had almost no substance. It was just fun fluff.

Bohemian Rhapsody - How is this even nominated? It's a fairly fun Greatest Hits film, but nothing more

A Star Is Born - Another 2:15 film in need of a decent editor, and needed to spend way less time looking at Bradley Cooper's face.

Black Panther - Seemed to me - as someone who doesn't much like superhero films - just like almost every other superhero film.

Vice - The first half is actually good, and feels similarly paced and interesting like The Big Short. The second half, though, is plodding and heavy handed and feels like it's hammering home stuff we already knew

Green Book - Feels nice enough to watch, but also feels like the kind of film that would have been winning Oscars in the 1990s and 2000s. A "We used to have racism in America" balm, where the white bloke helps and saves the black bloke.

Roma - Probably the best of the films, but it was a struggle to get through the first hour where almost nothing happens. I was glad I was watching on Netflix and able to switch away to my phone. I almost switched off and gave up on it.

Comment

Of the two Documentary Features I've seen, I really like Free Solo over RBG. The Ginsberg hagiography is fine, but it's a hagiography. Free Solo is brilliantly filmed, makes you actually kind of dislike Alex Honnold rather than just playing him as a hero, and gave me, at least, pains in my legs just watching some of the ridiculous moves he made on the climb.

Comment

I really hope 'Isle of Dogs' wins the Best Animated Feature Award, it was absolutely one of my favourite films of last year - though I also loved 'Spider-Verse'.

As I've said elsewhere I find it hard to pick my favourite from the Best Picture nominees though it certainly isn't 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (which shouldn't be anywhere near the list) or BlacKKKlansman (which I found a real disappointment and echo all of SB's comments on) and probably not 'Black Panther' (which I enjoyed but wasn't even Marvel's best movie last year, 'Infinity War' was). 'Vice' is a brilliantly acted oddity of a film which really appealed to me but I can't really say is a 'Best Picture' either but glad it's been nominated.

Which leaves me with the other half of the field, I saw 'A Star Is Born' quite a while ago but it's definitely stuck with me and the other three I've seen in the last month so maybe 'ASAB' is in the lead for me. It's not going to win though - probably because it came out too long ago as much as anything else. Until I saw Mahershala Ali in 'Green Book' last night I would definitely have gone for Sam Elliot for Best Supporting Actor too but now I'm wavering.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-02-2019, 17:35.

Comment

Isle of Dogs was better than at least half of the best pic nominated films. And had the benefit of actually being an original story.

It struck me that of the best picture nominees, 5 were "based on real events" to some degree or other, one was a generic superhero flick, one was a fourth-time remake, and then there's Roma.

(Of the non-nominated films that were trying for Oscars, First Man (which is terribly slow and poorly edited again), Mary Queen of Scots, and Can You Ever Forgive Me are also based on real events)

Comment

I found that Roma flew past. At one point first time round, I realised that I had been transfixed for well over an hour even though (in SB's words) nothing particularly happened. It was simply a visual and sensory treat from beginning to end. Every shot seemed to have such incredible depth. I've watched it 4 times now and each time I find myself lost in the beauty of the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

It struck me that of the best picture nominees, 5 were "based on real events" to some degree or other, one was a generic superhero flick, one was a fourth-time remake, and then there's Roma.

(Of the non-nominated films that were trying for Oscars, First Man (which is terribly slow and poorly edited again), Mary Queen of Scots, and Can You Ever Forgive Me are also based on real events)
              'Roma' was based on real events to some degree - in that it was at least semi-autobiographical with regard to Cuaron's childhood, no?
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-02-2019, 17:15.

Comment

Roma's great. I can't fathom it being criticism that not much happens, either in the first hour, or generally, or nonsense that it's meditation of some sort rather than a story. But then again, I watched it in the cinema, where the images and (particularly) the sound are transfixing.

Comment

I guess I'm alone, then. The visuals are stunning, but during that first hour I was mostly interested in the geometry of the staircase which suggests I just wasn't engaged at all by the film.

Comment

I think it's a fair enough comment that very little happens in the first hour or so of the movie. It doesn't happen in a very pleasing way visually and the family dynamic is nicely established for the events in the second half of the film but it's slow moviemaking.

Comment

On Bohemian Rhapsody, a couple of my students are really outraged it got nominated for editing- they showed me the sequence of the band signing up with new manager and the cutting is clumsy, with each member of the band getting a reaction shot each time. I know May and Taylor are behind the film but didn’t realise that included any insistence everyone got a close up!

Comment

I didn't realise it had been nominated for that. By the looks of this article it appears to be an acknowledgement of work the editor did patching the film together after the director Singer was fired with three weeks of filming left and Dexter Fletcher stepped in to get it over the line.

It's certainly not a technically accomplished film in anything other than the recreation of the Live Aid performance, which I doubt owes much to editing.

Comment

I genuinely think the best film I've seen in the past 12 months or so is Mary Poppins Returns, so I'm disappointed it hasn't really been nominated for much.

Comment

The results I'd like (with occasional comments):

* I've not seen all the films in this category, so I'm picking only from the ones I've seen
                            ** I've only seen one film in this category so it wins by default

Best Pic The Favourite.

I've decided I prefer the lack of substance and entertainment over the substance but glacial pace of Roma. Those are the only two really worthy contenders.

Best Actor Viggo Mortensen *

I expect it to go to Bale or Malek, because the Academy seems to think that prosthetics and mimicry are good acting

Best Actress Melissa McCarthy*

Best Supporting Actor Sam Elliott

I can't tell if I actually like Sam Elliott's acting in this, or if I just enjoy watching Sam Elliot in general

Best Supporting ActressRachel Weisz *

Best Director Cuaron

Foreign Language Film Roma **

Animated Feature Isle of Dogs*

Documentary Feature Free Solo *

Cinematography Roma *

Animated Short Bao **

Comment

Roma picked up a few awards, as did latest UK national treasure Olivia Coleman, but the big one went to Green Book. Not seen it, so can’t comment.

Comment

Bohemian Rhapsody won 3 which sounded too many until I saw that they were for Mailk (ok, I guess with no male lead in 'Roma' and not having seen Green Book), picture editing (which backs up what RdG said) and sound editing which, I am not an expert in, but seems fairly plausible. Roma's win as a foreign film was a shoe-in but probably a sop for it not getting best film, Cuaron deserves best director and cinematography and I would have said screenplay as well but haven't seen the others to disagree with their wins.

Comment

I'd say Mortenson was a significantly better acting performance than Malik. Malik does a great imitation of Mercury, but imitation is not the same as acting.

Roma is ten times the film that Green Book is.

Comment

Aye, much as I enjoyed BoRap it's silly Malek got the Oscar.

A woman in Walsall phoned Dotun Adebayo's BBC show claiming to have seen it 83 times.

Comment

Of all the nominated films I've only seen The Favourite, but I didn't think that OC's performance was anything like exceptional. She played a huge, quirky character well and I enjoyed the film but her supporting actresses, although they seemed like co-leads, did a lot of the heavy lifting.

My best friend's niece was in The Wife so a Glenn Close win might have given her career a nice little boost.

Comment

I've seen a grand total of two films at the cinema in the last 12 months - Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book - and while they each did the advertised job, I didn't come out of either of them thinking they were going to win multiple Oscars. Seems like a weak year?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          I'd say Mortenson was a significantly better acting performance than Malik. Malik does a great imitation of Mercury, but imitation is not the same as acting.

Roma is ten times the film that Green Book is.
                                          I don't know about that, it's the kind of statement that show up the inherent silliness of awards season (and I'll admit to being prone to making them myself).

They're both films that are incredibly well put together, perfectly showcase the talents of their makers and achieve their aims. It's very tempting to see 'Roma' as "more important" and admire it's visual breadth but the acting, script and overall personality of 'Green Book' are impressive. I quite like the fact that both movies are about warmth, love and humanity and the contrasting ways they illustrate those traits. I want to see 'Roma' again (ideally in the cinema) but I can also see me settling down to watch 'Green Book' as an annual Xmas staple.

I do agree with you on Malek though, Peter Bradshaw of the Guardian said in his initial response to the awards that Malek's was the least impressive of all the nominees and while I haven't seen Willem Dafoe's performance I would tend to agree it is far lesser than Mortenson, Bale and Cooper's. It's a proficient, feature length 'Stars In Their Eyes' performance that feels like something from an SNL sketch. The film itself is clunky and messily incoherent which is mainly propelled along by the live show scenes which keep it watchable so the sound awards are the only ones that are really justified in my opinion.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-02-2019, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                            I've seen a grand total of two films at the cinema in the last 12 months

Two more than me!

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                              A woman in Walsall phoned Dotun Adebayo's BBC show claiming to have seen it 83 times.
                                              I saw that in the Brexpress & Star. In a reciprocal gesture, March's showing of Slade in Flame at the Regent Street Cinema has sold out a month in advance.

Comment

Good movie. Tom Conti as the manager steals it for me

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                  Seems like a weak year?
                                                  Funnily enough, it's the first year that I have really wanted to catch up on all of the Best Picture nominations.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X