X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finney Fini

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...llers-crossing

Albert Finney died, aged 82.

Nine hunderd and fifty four. Nine hundred and fifty bloody five. I'll have a fag in a bit.

Comment

Shit, Albert Finney was fantastic.

He seems to have worked and lived to suit himself rather than others' expectations of him, hence the charges of unfulfilled promise levelled at him for not playing the game their way.

Comment

He probably could have landed a few more prestigious roles (he turned down the lead in Lawrence of Arabia for starters) but he had a hugely impressive and varied career and enviable private life, all the time remaining true to his principles and never forgetting his roots. A wonderful life lived.

Comment

Fell into the trap of going, "Oh, Albert Finney's dead, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning...etc. etc." completely forgetting about him in Miller's Crossing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
            He probably could have landed a few more prestigious roles (he turned down the lead in Lawrence of Arabia for starters) but he had a hugely impressive and varied career and enviable private life, all the time remaining true to his principles and never forgetting his roots. A wonderful life lived.
            His refusal to accept a CBE and latterly a knighthood (as mentioned in the link in the opening post) confirm that.

Comment

What NS said. RIP

Comment

Yes thirded.

A great talent and presence, tended to steal the show in pretty much everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                  Fell into the trap of going, "Oh, Albert Finney's dead, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning...etc. etc." completely forgetting about him in Miller's Crossing.
                  And had a serious hand in Julia Roberts winning the Oscar for "Erin Brockovich" by making her act her arse off. (Aaron Eckhart helped a little.)

Not bad in the Bourne things either, even though he was just playing his "old Bastard" thing.

I actually suspect that he would have been a better Hannibal Lecter than Brian Cox.

Comment

And a decent part of Ocean's Twelve. (Almost as good as the end.)

Comment

Sad loss. He’s on the cover of a module guide I’m teaching on (a still from just after GO’s quote) so I’ll be remembering him a fair bit over the next 6 weeks. ‘Film & Society’ indeed, tho I don’t get to do the British stuff.

‘Big Fish’, as Ewan McGregor’s Dad and the last Dennis Potters (perfect casting) were more recent fond memories of his work.

Comment

I just got to the end of O12 because, I heard his voice when I was recovering from the sound of ketamine. Or histrionics. One or the other.

I have a cold.Wait: it's MANFLU! (trademark, before anyone else)

Comment

Yeah: Right there, when Albert Finney's lip trembles, and he looks at Ms Z-J... I wept.

Comment

His Hercule Poirot was truly terrible. Almost to the point where Branagh's remake of Orient Express was justified

Comment

I liked it. I don't disagree that it was terrible, but I liked it.

Edit: I had to look it up because he was 82 when he died, and he was 37 in that role. Playing someone two decades older.
                              Last edited by Snake Plissken; 09-02-2019, 12:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

His refusal to accept a CBE and latterly a knighthood (as mentioned in the link in the opening post) confirm that.
                                Never went to the Oscars he was nominated for either. "Long way to go for a party" apparently.

Lovely tribute from Tom Courtney this morning on Radio 4. I always have to think whether Finney was in "Billy Liar" and, apparently, it was between him and Courtney.
                                Last edited by Bored Of Education; 10-02-2019, 18:29.

Comment

Finney played the part on stage

Comment

Yes, they did mention that, come to think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

And had a serious hand in Julia Roberts winning the Oscar for "Erin Brockovich" by making her act her arse off. (Aaron Eckhart helped a little.)

Not bad in the Bourne things either, even though he was just playing his "old Bastard" thing.

I actually suspect that he would have been a better Hannibal Lecter than Brian Cox.
                                      Lektor.

<pedant>

Comment

Working...
                                      X