Fawlty Towers episodes ranked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I had not realised that she had become a psychotherapist, nor that she had married John Lahr.
    Could be a subthread: comedy actresses who had later associations with psychotherapy - Pamela Stephenson, Ruby Wax

I have just purchased Lahr's Tennesee Williams' biography.

Comment

Fawlty Towers is a cult thing in Germany, especially the Germans episode. I don't think Germans find it offensive; in fact, I think most Germans wish the joke was more on them than it is on Basil (and those whom he represents).

I also don't think that Manuel is really problematic. As a comedic character, he is really well developed and performed, with the language thing an imortant source of gags. But the joke really is on those who think Manuel's "dago" shtick is representative of his nation, as evidenced by the famous line, "He's from Barcelona". Of all the cities Cleese and Booth could have chosen, they picked one that has more culture and class than pretty much anywhere in Britain. That must have been a completely intentional joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Could be a subthread: comedy actresses who had later associations with psychotherapy - Pamela Stephenson, Ruby Wax

I have just purchased Lahr's Tennesee Williams' biography.
        Or the other way round, e.g Jo Brand.

Comment

Working...
        X