No announcement yet.

Have we done "Pointless"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFL: Rams and Chargers (after decades without a team, two come along at once)
    MLB: Dodgers and Angels

The Dodgers are another transplant, of course, originally taking their moniker from the "trolley dodgers" of Brooklyn. There were once trolleys in LA, but the Pacific Electric system had been torn up for years when the Dodgers arrived.

The Rams were originally from Cleveland (and recently St. Louis), but the name isn't more or less appropriate for any of their locations.

The Chargers played their first AFL season in LA, then played for 50 years in San Diego, and are now back in LA.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 10-10-2018, 16:21.

Comment

Still no correct answers so maybe the result is not as surprising as I first thought.

The biggest scoreres were NY, Boston and Chicago. The pointless answer has a team in both the NFL and the MLB which is why I found if shock. I was certain it'd be a one franchise town.

Comment

Baltimore?

Comment

Nope

Comment

Detroit?

Comment

Nope

Comment

Pittsburgh?

Comment

Nope

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    NFL: Rams and Chargers (after decades without a team, two come along at once)
                    MLB: Dodgers and Angels

The another transplant, of course, originally taking their moniker from the "trolley dodgers" of Brooklyn. There were once trolleys in LA, but the Pacific Electric system had been torn up for years when the Dodgers arrived.

The Rams were originally from Cleveland (and recently St. Louis), but the name isn't more or less appropriate for any of their locations.

The Chargers played their first AFL season in LA, then played for 50 years in San Diego, and are now back in LA.
                    Thanks for filling me in ursus! I still had to mentally recalibrate partway through your Brooklyn comment, though – over here "trolley dodging" is what you have to do in the supermarket aisle when other people aren't paying attention where they're going.

Comment

It'll be something really weird like Philadelphia

Comment

Minnesota?

We're running out of possible cities, surely.

Comment

It isn't Miami is it?

Comment

Not Phillie.

If I said think Midwest I'd be giving the game away surely.

Edit: or Miami or Minnesota

Comment

Kansas City

Comment

Seattle?

Comment

We have a winner.

The pointless answer was Kansas City.

Sorry for the derailment all. Back to Pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                    If I said think Midwest I'd be giving the game away surely.
                                    Missed the hint...

Comment

I couldn't keep it going much longer we'd have named the lot.

Comment

I've not seen the show with the NFL/NBA question on yet, but it may be one of those where you're often better off going for the "next level up" of obscurity. For example, I would consider the most obscure team at Euro 2016 to be Albania, but knowledgeable people will remember them better, for precisely that reason, with the Czech Republic a lower scoring answer. Or in geography rounds an "old school Pointless favourite" Nauru scoring higher nowadays than, say, Tanzania, or Rutherfordium being a worse answer than Phosphorus – those among the 100 surveyed who know a bit about the subject will immediately be aiming for those kind of answers and overlook those a tad more mundane.

The music round in the episode I mentioned earlier was heavily edited. The losing pair went for a bad answer despite Clara Amfro knowing them all, which was because they were struggling to hold all five pieces of music in mind. They asked for a repeat (granted but not shown) and a second repeat (not granted), they then got confused over which piece of music corresponded to which letter and, seemingly, went for the only one they could remember for certain.

Comment

It's definitely a strange answer from a US perspective because both teams have been successful (and therefore in the news) lately.

The Royals (MLB) were in both the 2014 and 2015 World Series, winning the second, while the Chiefs (NFL) have been one of the better teams in the league for several years, are currently one of only two undefeated teams in the league and have been the subject of a ton of media interest centred on their phenom quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

I had assumed that Brits were most likely to miss an under-performing team from a smaller city.

Comment

It's definitely a strange answer from a US perspective because both teams have been successful (and therefore in the news) lately.

The Royals (MLB) were in both the 2014 and 2015 World Series, winning the second, while the Chiefs (NFL) have been one of the better teams in the league for several years, are currently one of only two undefeated teams in the league and have been the subject of a ton of media interest centred on their phenom quarterback Patrick Mahomes.
                                            I may be wrong but to be honest the World Series doesn't seem to command much mainstream attention over here at all. The Superbowl does, but again "one of the better teams in the league for several years" is the only criterion they might have got through via, out of your suggestions there. The doings of individual players, or speculation thereon, doesn't really register – and any current undefeated streak is irrelevant in the context of a show filmed probably months ago and where the survey for the answers was taken at some earlier point still.

Comment

That would certainly help explain it.

For all of their recent success, the Chiefs haven't been to the Super Bowl since 1969, and while Kansas City is important regionally, it isn't a major tourist destination nor does it have particular ties to the UK.

Comment

No, frankly the first thing I think of when I hear the name is the Kansas City Wiz. And they haven't even been called that since their first season ended, I believe, which makes that association about 22 years out of date...?!

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                  Missed the hint...
                                                  By a few thousand miles

Comment

I had assumed that Brits were most likely to miss an under-performing team from a smaller city.
                                                    This was alluded to by Richard. They then wondered what the reverse would be if an American audience was asked to name EPL clubs.

NFL gets far more coverage over here in part due to a weekly highlight show and the Super Bowl both on the BBC alongside the London games. Not forgetting the explosion of popularity that anyone who grew up in the 80s will remember. Contarily MLB not so much at all. There was a brief period when Channel Four covered games, mainly East Coast ones as the time difference is more condusive to late night viewing. Maybe that'll change with the arrival of the Red Sox and Yankees next year.

If it had been NBA/ NHL I'd have really struggled.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X