Have we done "Pointless"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
    This was alluded to by Richard. They then wondered what the reverse would be if an American audience was asked to name EPL clubs.
    An equivalent question for a USA Pointless would be difficult to frame. You could make a decent guess at at the NFL/MLB question by having a reasonable knowledge of USA cities. That wouldn't be the case the other way round.

Comment

It really wouldn’t work if you had a true national sample.

Vast swathes of this country’s population are oblivious to its existence.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        NFL: Rams and Chargers (after decades without a team, two come along at once)
        MLB: Dodgers and Angels

The Dodgers are another transplant, of course, originally taking their moniker from the "trolley dodgers" of Brooklyn. There were once trolleys in LA, but the Pacific Electric system had been torn up for years when the Dodgers arrived.

The Rams were originally from Cleveland (and recently St. Louis), but the name isn't more or less appropriate for any of their locations.

The Chargers played their first AFL season in LA, then played for 50 years in San Diego, and are now back in LA.
        So, the Angels have left Anaheim?

Comment

No, they are still in Anaheim, but have rebranded themselves as the "Los Angeles Angels" (their original name when they joined the American League and played in LA's Wrigley Field and Dodger Stadium (which they called Chavez Ravine)).

The change was impeded for several years by a lawsuit by the city of Anaheim, which claimed that their funding of a portion of the stadium's reconstruction was contingent on the club retaining "Anaheim" in its name. That led to the nonsensical solution of the club's official name being "the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" for several years before the city abandoned their case.

Comment

Interesting Celebrity episode tonight, won by Glen Matlock and Slim Jim Phantom.

Comment

Spoiler alert????

Comment

I caught ten minutes or so of Celeb Pointless tonight. From the bit I saw, Slim Jim looks like a right tosser. Chewing gum on the show, being the only person not to applaud a pair who'd just been eliminated, and full of twattish self-congratulatory gestures when he got a pointless answer. What a dick.

Comment

I hate it when they suddenly start doing repeats without telling anyone. Although Giggler could be on for a repeat fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                    I hate it when they suddenly start doing repeats without telling anyone. Although Giggler could be on for a repeat fee.
                    Let's hope not after the appearance in Twitter's Shit Room.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                      Tomorrow, 5.15pm, BBC One. Be there.

Comment

I'll make a note to myself for future reference: Giggler, the 19 February broadcast. We'll probably get to it around June or July. We're working through the episodes recorded on our hard drive more slowly than new ones are being added. We're now 58 episodes behind and growing. It doesn't help that our 8 year old recently decreed that our family mealtime viewing for the foreseeable future is changed from Pointless to Masterchef. (That was a compromise from her initial request for The Greatest Dancer, in response to which I said I would take my meal in a different room.)

Comment

Giggler's on telly!

Comment

He's just about to reach the final.

Comment

Stop that - I haven't seen it before

Comment

Flunked at the death unfortunately.

Comment

gah

Comment

Giggler's mate was great fun - could have stepped off the set of Corrie or a Nineties sitcom.

Comment

Yes, well done giggler and giggler's mate. A great effort. That last round i would have flunked too. horror movies are also not my thing. I did recognise the still from 'the others' and I've seen it but i couldn't for the life of me remember the name.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I mentioned upthread that the only reason I knew The Others is because there's a child actor in it who shares my name and I'm periodically asked on Twitter if I'm him.

Comment

Funnily enough I haven’t watched at all recently but collapsed on the couch after cycling home and casually glanced up to see Giggler, again. I’d forgotten how it ended- I would’ve gone for Sporting Queens- might’ve even been lower div Scottish football-related!

Comment

I'm still a few week's behind catching up on the recent episodes, but when the fuck is somebody going take the Motown category? It would be dicey naming the UK Top 40 hits by the three selected acts, given that some stone-cold classics barely hit the UK charts, but it woukd be fun just running through songs.

And "Jazz" Albums, which nobody takes because they know nothing about jazz. Given the quote marks, I I suspect (hope) that the questions might be less Coltrane and Basie than something like "Any track from Queen's Jazz album", anything from Johnny Hates Jazz albums, and any track from the All That Jazz soundtrack. My banker from Queen's Jazz would be "Mustapha".

"Put 'On Broadway' from All That Jazz second, Xander, and, ooh, I don't know, it won't be pointlless but 'Don't Stop Me Now' first. Yes, from the Queen album, Xander."

Comment

Miller Bear isn't pointless...

Comment

Working...
                                              X